Topic: Protools Playback quieter than Ableton

This might not be a question for RME forum but we have some brilliant people in this forum so someone might know this question.

After switching to ADI-2 pro fs R BE. I don't know why and it really shouldn't but I would have to adjust about 4db between Protools and Ableton (Protools is quieter). Is there a reason why this is happening?

2 (edited by ericseaberg 2022-12-06 16:39:31)

Re: Protools Playback quieter than Ableton

I've been using the ADI-2 Pro with ProTools for years. Although I don't use Ableton, I've not had a problem with ProTools.  The output seems consistent with anything else coming out of the Mac. 

Just to ask, are you using the ADI-2 within an Aggregate Audio device or direct? I typically set it up within an Aggregate which includes my USB mic (for talkback) as well as the built-in Mac speakers.  This allows me to always keep the Aggregate as the I/O even if the ADI-2 is powered off... I can route to the internal speakers just for a quick listen/check and I don't have to power on my Genelecs. 

One thing to confirm is the reference level settings within ProTools prefs.  I do everything at -20dBFS since I work mainly in Television.

Hi!

Thank you for your post. I should have explained my set up more so I am using adi-2 pro in ad/da mode and connected to babyface pro fs via spdif in/out and i am using 24dbu for reference.

the output is consistent but i don't know why there would be a volume difference between the two daws.

Why aren't you using the ADI-2 in USB mode? You can also setup an aggregate device with the BF Pro FS so ProTools can see the BF Pro as an input device and the ADI-2 is your output device.  I have both pieces and prefer to keep the ADI-2 Pro as "master clock" with the BF Pro locked to it using SPDIF. Regardless, not sure about the level difference.

5 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-13 07:59:09)

jmanparkmusic wrote:

After switching to ADI-2 pro fs R BE. I don't know why and it really shouldn't but I would have to adjust about 4db between Protools and Ableton (Protools is quieter). Is there a reason why this is happening?

Run RME Bit Test, see manual page 94.
Download files:
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/bit_test_wavs.zip

One or the other is not bit-transparent.

What about Protools’ “pan depth”, or “pan law” settings?