Topic: Peq type question Adi2 pro fs

Hi, I’ve just recently purchased Adi2 pro, … studio user
I couldn’t find this answer here … so maybe I’m legit to ask smile:)

What kind of PEQ’s are built in the unit ? (are they linear phase filters ?)
Can you change a type of the filter for better phase response/ vs lower latency ?

Also .. I have Adi connected to UAD Apollo x8p
Adi is master set to INT optical SPDIF 96khz , apollo is slave to Spdif IN
Is this way Adi’s clock bettering up my apollo input coverters aswell ? Less jitter on Apollo AD stage?

Thank you

2 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-21 14:06:22)

Re: Peq type question Adi2 pro fs

obreza.uros wrote:

What kind of PEQ’s are built in the unit ? (are they linear phase filters ?)
Can you change a type of the filter for better phase response/ vs lower latency ?

The PEQ filters are some kind of minimum phase design.

As studio user you probably know the very audible negative side effects of linear phase filters:
Very bad impulse response, bass can sound almost as if there is a little fade-in instead of an impact.

All natural frequency responses, like speakers in a room, or headphones, are minimum phase, so for correction you need the same type of function.

3 (edited by obreza.uros 2022-12-21 14:05:33)

Yes .. I suspected that, I was just curious …
Today I was doing meassurements and alligment in my room, and
I must say this Peq’s are freaking awessome sounding (I can hear very small phase issues when pushed ower 6dB)

.. but I must say … 5 bands is not enough (this is just enough for treating only lows & low- mids)
2 more bands (7 all together) would not cost that much DSP power, or is the units DSP already on a limit ?
Is this to be adressed in future fw upgrades ?

Till now this is my only complaint smile

4 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-21 15:19:09)

You can include Bass/Treble controls into the PEQ, for a total of 7 bands:
EQ (2 presses to “EQ Enable/Presets”) / Output / Load B/T w. Preset: “ON”.

Be aware that frequency response deviations that origin from room reflections happen in the time domain.

They cannot be fully corrected in the frequency domain.

PEQ doesn‘t replace room treatment and proper speaker placement.

Try an approach of measuring and correcting in the nearfield, about 50-100 cm from the speaker.
Then compare the result with the traditional “correction at the listeners position.

Ok ..

B/t I want to touch only if I just listen to some music to have better listening experience on my remote to taste
so this is something I dont want to include in setup.

I have Neumann KH420 monitors, where I have one full Peq for subs
My room is very good but wanting perfection to be flat in +/- 6 dB full range 5 bands not enough …

Use an outboard/VST EQ if you need that much precision, or treat the room instead. They've stated before that there's not enough DSP to allow more bands.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

Ok, I can use VST anytime, but its less convinient smile
I’m new here, … I didn’t know about DSP is at the limit …
But as I read there is FPGa inside aswell ..
Dsp is used for Eq and stuff, I’m curious which tasks Fpga takes care of ?

obreza.uros wrote:

… I didn’t know about DSP is at the limit …
But as I read there is FPGa inside aswell ..
Dsp is used for Eq and stuff, I’m curious which tasks Fpga takes care of ?

The DSP limits are high, you can use all functions up to 192 kHz sample rate.

Read manual page 16 for details.

In recording studio community we use mainly 96kHz at best … (95% of users)
It would be great if we could use lets say: 9 bands of peq on 48kHz,  7 bands of peq on 96, 192 could keep 5 bands …
I dont care a lot for higher than 96…,
I think this kind of aproach is doable with not so hard programming to dynamicaly alocate dsp resources by sampling resolution …
otherwise great unit for the price, … but here and there is always room for improvement …

Merry Christmas

10 (edited by KaiS 2022-12-24 23:59:13)

10 bands of PEQ are the usual number, mostly because we live and think in a decade system.

So 3 more band would do the job, assuming bass / treble is included.

In fact I can replicate most 10-band settings using the existing EQ, with an approximation of 1/2 dB - if there aren’t loads of high-Q peaks and dips.

I did this with normal ORATORY1990 settings, using AudioTools for measurement.

It’s more ADI-2’s min. Q-factor of 0.5 that causes problems transferring those EQs, which use Q-factors down to 0.2 or even lower quite often.
Having a min Q of 0.1 wouldn’t be a bad idea IMO, can make a good, soft overall-shaper.

I agree that sample rates above 96 kHz are of minor professional interest - it’s more for the “keen on figures audiophiles” IMO.
Still, these are a significant number of users for ADI-2, so can’t be ignored.

The problem with switching the PEQ band numbers when changing sample rate, it would be very counter-intuitive.

BTW:
The PEQ uses a higher internal sample rate anyway, else the higher bands would not work correct.
Thiis fact might imply another DSP limit.