Topic: ADI 2/4 Pro SE in a mastering context

I would like to understand some functionality after reading the appropriate parts of the manual but remaining unsure.

I'm thinking to replace my Hedd Quantum with the Pro SE as my pitch and catch converter.  I'd also like to eliminate my monitor controller to hopefully run things with the remote and maybe pick up the ARC usb again, connect digitally to my monitors via their AES input, and hopefully be able to take advantage of the headphone amp on the SE.

I have a 802 as my main interface, but I am confused about how best to use the SE in conjunction, if it's in ADDA mode or in USB multi channel mode.

If using AES connections for conversion and clocking i presume it should be in ADDA mode?  Does this mean I cannot use PH 3/4 to monitor my DAW or can I feed PH3/4 via another digital input simultaneously?

For monitoring, if i want to go digitally to my monitors, would I need to go out the ADAT on the 802 and convert somehow to AES?

If I for some reason want to go analog to the monitors, can I use output 3/4 on back of the SE or do they mute when inserting a jack into PH 3/4?

Any help or other tips if I am missing something, are highly appreciated.

Re: ADI 2/4 Pro SE in a mastering context

... well one reply but since deleted, back to the manual I go.

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-07 11:34:07)

Well, I deleted my reply, cause I can‘t offer a perfect solution.

There are not enough digital I/O‘s available for the signal routing 802<>ADI necessary to fulfill the requests.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE alone, connected via USB would make a perfect mastering interface.
One path, e.g. 3/4, for the mastering signal chain’s DA/AD, the other, e.g. 1/2, for monitoring through speakers and headphones.

KaiS wrote:

Well, I deleted my reply, cause I can‘t offer a perfect solution.

There are not enough digital I/O‘s available for the signal routing 802<>ADI necessary to fulfill the requests.

ADI-2/4 Pro SE alone, connected via USB would make a perfect mastering interface.
One path, e.g. 3/4, for the mastering signal chain’s DA/AD, the other, e.g. 1/2, for monitoring through speakers and headphones.

that's quite alright! I appreciate even partial solutions, if all requests can't be filled I'd love to know that as well.

I'm looking at the block diagram again for multi channel USB mode.  If it's connected to the computer as it's own device via USB, it appears I could send the to be processed signal to any analog output on the SE and return it to input 1/2.  Could I not simultaneously have my DAW's master bus going to USB out 5/6, which would be the SE's AES output connected digitally to my monitor's DAC?

Then I could go USB to the other DAC for headphones, or am I wrong?

If that's all possible, I guess I don't need the 802. 

There are however times when stem mastering or working on my own tracks, I occasionally bus groups out for processing/summing.  For those situations would it be feasible to also connect the 802 via USB and aggregate the two units (IOS) or is that asking for trouble?

..or potentially i could assign the headphone output to monitor the digital input on 5/6 that's going out AES, but still have a separate volume control?

6 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-07 14:00:47)

I don’t know about an iOS (iPad?) solution grouping audio devices.
Does your DAW offer the option to address multiple audio interfaces at once?

Wouldn’t even know how to connect more than one.
I doubt an USB Hub would work.

If you get this running the solution is there.

This guy says it’s “super-easy” smile
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct= … GOjHVDjfNU

sorry i wrote IOS but I meant OS X, I'm on a mac.  I've never aggregated devices but from what I gather online it's simple and stable enough and I'll be able to select this group from my DAW.  However i think a problem lies with the clocking, there is no word dedicated word clock connection on the ADI 2/4 Pro SE.  So by the looks of it, I need to connect to the 802 via AES for the clock to sync if I want to be converting with both devices simultaneously, and thereby don't think I can pull it off this way.

8 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-07 14:35:16)

Maybe the DAW/ Mac can serve as Clock Master:

From the manual page 65:

27.3 Multi-interface Operation

OS X supports the usage of more than one audio device within an audio software. This is done via the Core Audio function Aggregate Devices, which allows to combine several devices into one. All units have to be in sync, i.e. have to receive valid sync information via a digital input signal, then all channels can be used at once.

If one of the devices is set to clock mode Master, all others have to be set to clock mode Slave, and have to be synced from the master by feeding AES, SPDIF, Word or ADAT. The clock modes of all units have to be set up correctly in their Settings dialog.

Well a computer can't provide a digital clock as far as I'm aware.. but looks like I could aggregate them both, clock the 802 with the ADI 2/4 over an AES connection, and hopefully have access to the inputs and outputs.  I'm thinking with this set up, I'll be able connect the 802 to the monitors with one of the ADAT outs, with headphones and mastering loop done on the ADI.