Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS power on?

Is there any way to keep the ADI-2's power on even when not playing? I don't see a way in the manual to get around the auto shut off. Thanks!

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS power on?

jltbalt1 wrote:

Is there any way to keep the ADI-2's power on even when not playing? I don't see a way in the manual to get around the auto shut off. Thanks!

You can set Auto standby to off. See chapter "14.1.3 Phones / DSD / Power" in the manual.

"Auto Standby
OFF, 30min, 1h, 2h, 4h. The unit checks all outputs for signals higher than -70 dBFS. With no
signal and user action detected within the set time the unit will enter standby mode."

3 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-08 14:33:16)

jltbalt1 wrote:

The function can be disabled.
From the DAC manual page 27:

Auto Standby
OFF, 30min, 1h, 2h, 4h. The unit checks all outputs for signals higher than -70 dBFS. With no signal and user action detected within the set time the unit will enter standby mode.

Muffin wrote:
jltbalt1 wrote:

You can set Auto standby to off. See chapter "14.1.3 Phones / DSD / Power" in the manual.

"Auto Standby
OFF, 30min, 1h, 2h, 4h. The unit checks all outputs for signals higher than -70 dBFS. With no
signal and user action detected within the set time the unit will enter standby mode."

Thanks Muffin and KaiS. I think, to my detriment, since I don't use headphones I've tended to ignore the sections of the manual that focus on headphones. Will have to reread.

I've also been playing with Bass and Treble Q settings. Specifically changing the default for Bass from .9 to .7. Anything lower seems to create some distortion. (Of course) I don't really understand what is going on here. I'm assuming that if it affects the quality of the filter it's only relevant for 16/44 tracks.

Thanks again.

5 (edited by KaiS 2023-01-08 17:48:10)

jltbalt1 wrote:

I've also been playing with Bass and Treble Q settings. Specifically changing the default for Bass from .9 to .7. Anything lower seems to create some distortion. (Of course)

No, not at all.

You probably overdrive the output, switch on “Auto Ref Level“ to avoid that, or manually choose a higher one and reduce Volume accordingly for the same loudness.

Watch your meters - no “OVR” = no distortion.

jltbalt1 wrote:

I don't really understand what is going on here. I'm assuming that if it affects the quality of the filter it's only relevant for 16/44 tracks.

You misunderstand the term Q-Factor / Quality-Factor.

It’s NOT about better signal quality, but the shape / steepness of the filter.
Look at the EQ’s frequency response graph while varying the Q-factor, to understand it’s function.

For Bass/Treble to be graphically visible switch :
• EQ / EQ / Load B/T with Preset: “On”

Or test with the EQ’s Band 1 in bass shelf setting.

KaiS wrote:
jltbalt1 wrote:

I've also been playing with Bass and Treble Q settings. Specifically changing the default for Bass from .9 to .7. Anything lower seems to create some distortion. (Of course)

No, not at all.

You probably overdrive the output, switch on “Auto Ref Level“ to avoid that, or manually choose a higher one and reduce Volume accordingly for the same loudness.

Watch your meters - no “OVR” = no distortion.

jltbalt1 wrote:

I don't really understand what is going on here. I'm assuming that if it affects the quality of the filter it's only relevant for 16/44 tracks.

You misunderstand the term Q-Factor / Quality-Factor.

It’s NOT about better signal quality, but the shape / steepness of the filter.
Look at the EQ’s frequency response graph while varying the Q-factor, to understand it’s function.

For Bass/Treble to be graphically visible switch :
• EQ / EQ / Load B/T with Preset: “On”

Or test with the EQ’s Band 1 in bass shelf setting.

Thanks. Looks like I have those settings already in place. Definitely not close to overload on the meters. I guess what I should have said is that with the Bass Q, higher levels (numbers) seem to result in the sound receding a bit, while lower numbers appear to bring the music a bit more forward. Lower than .7 results in too much of a forward sound for my age-damaged ears, although the default .9 is good too. I'm also breaking in a new pair of speakers so I probably shouldn't be making too many definitive judgements at this point. :-)

A parametric EQ setting consists of Type (peak/shelf/high- or lo-pass), Gain, Frequency and Q-Factor.
Looking at or using one of these parameters singularly falls too short.

The Frequency Response Graph helps a lot understanding what’s going on.

This vid explains "Q" pretty well, although it could do with a moving graphic to show what happens. (Like KaiS said, look at the EQ readout on your RME screen while twiddling the Q value to see the width change). I don't agree with all his assumptions (for example we often use Q less then 1.0 in mastering), but it's a pretty good, short primer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikzPfIXRmQ

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

Babaluma wrote:

This vid explains "Q" pretty well, although it could do with a moving graphic to show what happens. (Like KaiS said, look at the EQ readout on your RME screen while twiddling the Q value to see the width change). I don't agree with all his assumptions (for example we often use Q less then 1.0 in mastering), but it's a pretty good, short primer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ikzPfIXRmQ

Thanks. I will check out the video. Maybe it will help me understand. I simply played several of my reference tracks moving the Bass Q back between minimum and maximum, and ended up where it sounded the best. Not very scientific, but....

Yes at the end of the day use your ears, twiddle the knobs, and if it sounds good it is good! But it's also good to fully understand a parametric EQ as it'll allow you to hone in on the the exact settings you may need very quickly. Frequency and Gain are both very easy to understand but Q is the one that is least known and therefore can trip people up.

I "get" Q on peaking EQs no problem, but still sometimes get confused when it's applied to shelving EQs. You can end up with "resonant bumps" at High Q values that can sound like synthesiser filters when swept etc.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech