1 (edited by theu-naus 2023-03-08 19:12:31)

Topic: [solved] UFX II with TC Electronic Clarity

Hello! I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting this question in the right place.

Recently I upgraded from a Babyface to an UFX II. In addition to needing multiple mic inputs, I needed 2 adat outs. One for an 8 channel mix in the liveroom and the other I need for my hardware audiometer and I got tired of switching the adat cable between these two before..

I had everything flawlessly routed long ago with my Babyface. Now I did everything again, but my adat 2 out is not working as it should:

I would like to use my adat 2 to simply send a copy of the main to my hardware audiometer. This worked with the babyface, but now I can't get the optical signal. Although I see that I have mirrored the main to adat 9/10 - and I also see in Totalmix that a signal is sent to adat 9/10 - my audiometer does not recognize an optical in signal. When I put the cable back in the Babyface it immediately works fine again. Even when I reset my babyface to the default preset and the audiometer stops giving visual signal (as in spectrum candles) the light still remains green so it says i’m still connected to your interface. With my new UFX II this light has never turned green, so I suspect this is a hardware or software setting. Is there something (in the hardware of software) that I need to do to ‘activate’ the adat channel 2? The red light in the ADAT out port on the UFX is shining. And Adat out 1 seems to work, because my powerplay is working fine.

Does anyone have any idea what settings I can check?

Thanks in advance!

Re: [solved] UFX II with TC Electronic Clarity

Did you perhaps set ADAT2 to optical SPDIF format, see driver settings.
Set it to ADAT format.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by theu-naus 2023-03-08 18:05:07)

ramses wrote:

Did you perhaps set ADAT2 to optical SPDIF format, see driver settings.
Set it to ADAT format.

Thank you very much for your reply!
I think I indeed already had it that way; do you mean these settings? Or is there a setting somewhere I can adjust?

https://ibb.co/ZX0Zvf3

Yes, there in the driver settings, ADAT2 is the only port which can be set to either ADAT or AES/SPDIF.
If things still do not work -> loop test
ADAT2 OUT -> ADAT2 IN

Watch there under input status, whether you get a sync.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Yes, there in the driver settings, ADAT2 is the only port which can be set to either ADAT or AES/SPDIF.
If things still do not work -> loop test
ADAT2 OUT -> ADAT2 IN

Watch there under input status, whether you get a sync.

Thank you very much again for your time.

I have tried to change the settings in a loop (also resets on the hardware meter) but so far without success.

I noticed that when I change the optical out to AES/SPDIF I get a green signal on the meter so it detects the optical output and then when I switch back optical 2 out to ADAT the light turns immediately red again and says No lock.

Do you have any idea what I can tweak with that information? Once again I really appreciate your time and answer..

What is your optical meter? And what kind of signal does it need, ADAT or SPDIF format?

ramses wrote:

What is your optical meter? And what kind of signal does it need, ADAT or SPDIF format?

The meter is TC electronic clarity M stereo. I just read in another thread on this forum (https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27062) where someone had the same problem that it needs SPDIF signal. This setting was probably set automatically in my babyface before.. In any case, thanks to you @ramses I found out now...

Now I still don't get any candles moving / metering on the TC (While I can clearly see in Totalmix FX that a copy of the main is being sent out to Adat 9/10) but that's the next problem I have to solve now..

Perhaps you have another advice that I can look into with this problem, otherwise I just want to thank you again for your help!!

How are the settings now in the RME driver settings?

ramses wrote:

How are the settings now in the RME driver settings?

Same as before, only op 2 out > ADAT has been replaced by AES SPDIF
https://ibb.co/xDJCkwj

And here is an overview of the mixer view (everything is default and not yet set to my preferences, except from the main mirror to adat 9/10)
https://ibb.co/sWtTFYK

Set AES format to consumer.

Got it! I had to mirror the the main to the AES channel on the Totalmix mixer view. With the babyface I had to send it to the adat. Anyway, solved!

Thank you very much for your help Ramses!