Re: UCX issue after flash update

christo.k wrote:

Perfect..!!!!
Mr Matthias from RME told us that users are responsible for downloading and installing faulty firmware file from official RME website.
My official statement is that I will visit many forums around the world to spread the news.

That's a clear misrepresentation of what he said, so perhaps you might want to reconsider that...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
kys1992 wrote:

Jeez, a guy in local distributer (Soundcat, Korea) told me that there is possibility that repair might not be free.
If it really cause cost, then it will be awful...

That's not correct. They can also send the unit to Hong Kong, so it won't have to go all the way back to Germany.

We will see. They asked me to send my UCX to them. Hope it will be solved without any extra expense (I already spend shipping cost but this is indureable)

Hi to all Forum members,

after having used and updated regularly my UCX for many years and being very happy, I recently encountered a problem:

I installed the newest driver (1.227) on a computer (Win11) and afterwards did the recent firmware update (Fireface UCX: USB 49, DSP 260, FireWire 27, Class Compliant 14). Both seemed to work fine reguarding what the update software said. It asked me to restart the interface. After restarting the interface soon had all lights lit apart from the four green SIG leds, which were blinking.

After having searched a lot I found the same symptom in a thread and read that the problem was a failed installation  of the firmware (due to a bad USB-cable) and of the solution that I should retry the installation. Unfortunately my interface is not anymore recognized at all so the firmware update does not even start. Afterwards I tried it with another fresh computer (also Win11) but had the same experience. As a third experiment I tried to connect it to a Win10-Computer with the previous driver but had the same result.

When I disconnect the interface anly the usual lights are lit. So it seems to be a problem with the connection. I ashured myself that Compliant Mode is off. Checking or even setting the PC or MAC mode was not possible as the quick double click that should bring me to this configuration does not bring me there.

Could anyone help me to solve the problem? Is there a chance that the reason is a MAC mode set? Is there another way to get a new firmware on it?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately this problem is known and the repair process is ongoing :
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 73#p199673

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Most likely this flash problem, here one statement from Mr Carstens (RME).
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 06#p199806

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for giving this info. As I had done the research three days ago directly after the update, I did not find this thread.

My UCX had the same problem. Furthermore, I was abandoned by support - I bought it when I was in the UK and am now in Japan, but when I contacted support for both I was told they could not deal with it as it was bought outside the country and used outside the country! My UCX was forcibly trashed despite a fault on the part of RME, I am very scared to use RME products in my business.

You don't get local support in many countries if you had not bought the unit through the country's sales channel. That is not unusual. But the reflashing is done even for you, directly from Synthax Japan.

And one post about this would have been enough...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

wataru.kamei wrote:

My UCX had the same problem. Furthermore, I was abandoned by support - I bought it when I was in the UK and am now in Japan, but when I contacted support for both I was told they could not deal with it as it was bought outside the country and used outside the country! My UCX was forcibly trashed despite a fault on the part of RME, I am very scared to use RME products in my business.

I think RME should contact local distributers and support (including global shipping) them to fix the problem.

Facepalm...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is not a matter of ‘local’ support or not. A local distributor in this case is only a more direct and reliable connection to RME, and therefore it is only logical that RME will make it possible for us customers to use the local distributor as the mediator to send and receive the devices.
I’m sure RME can help if they notify all local distributors about the issue, and instruct them to receive any problematic device from any customer and ship them for repair through their already existing channels.
I think that in an issue like this it shouldn’t matter where a card was bought - Rme should provide us with the fastest and safest way to repair this.

MC wrote:

You don't get local support in many countries if you had not bought the unit through the country's sales channel. That is not unusual. But the reflashing is done even for you, directly from Synthax Japan.

And one post about this would have been enough...

I contacted Synthax Japan again and was informed that they would accept a take-back repair for this case, again reassuring me that RME has a reliable support system. Thank you for your quick response.

kys1992 wrote:

I think RME should contact local distributers and support (including global shipping) them to fix the problem.

They are fully aware of the issue...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

binjah wrote:

This is not a matter of ‘local’ support or not. A local distributor in this case is only a more direct and reliable connection to RME, and therefore it is only logical that RME will make it possible for us customers to use the local distributor as the mediator to send and receive the devices.
I’m sure RME can help if they notify all local distributors about the issue, and instruct them to receive any problematic device from any customer and ship them for repair through their already existing channels.
I think that in an issue like this it shouldn’t matter where a card was bought - Rme should provide us with the fastest and safest way to repair this.

The comment was a more general one. Local distributors do not provide warranty services for devices purchased abroad, and that is normal. This special case is obviously different (and mostly, other regular paid repairs as well).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Please help from France !, same problem after flash update , all leds are light on and the green ones are blinking :’ (

FRANCE

ARBITER FRANCE
22 Rue Edouard Buffard 77144
Montevrain

+33 (0) 820 230 007
contact@arbiterfrance.com
www.arbiterfrance.com

RME Support wrote:
christo.k wrote:

Perfect..!!!!
Mr Matthias from RME told us that users are responsible for downloading and installing faulty firmware file from official RME website.
My official statement is that I will visit many forums around the world to spread the news.

That's a clear misrepresentation of what he said, so perhaps you might want to reconsider that...

My card is traveling to Germany.
So... I am waiting to take it back soon.
Until then there is nothing to.... reconsider...!!!!!
Depends on...

Thank you RME....!!!!!!

I got a phone call from local distributer and they said they had contact with RME, and it will be proceeded without any fee, unlike they mentioned about possible cost several days ago.
Now I have second hand ID44 for the moment...
It was time consuming, traumatic, and annoying moment.  :-(

kys1992 wrote:

I got a phone call from local distributer and they said they had contact with RME, and it will be proceeded without any fee, unlike they mentioned about possible cost several days ago.
Now I have second hand ID44 for the moment...
It was time consuming, traumatic, and annoying moment.  :-(

We're certainly not happy about the situation...
But... having a backup device is always a good idea, you can never be 100% safe from someone pouring coffee over your UCX or similar unforeseen mishaps.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Anyone got this issue sorted out yet?
I've been told 2 to 3 weeks to repair it. Still waiting.

Thanks

71 (edited by christo.k 2023-04-19 18:35:08)

Update from TNT Courier :
Booked to arrive 21 April 2023 before 18:00

I will know the day after tomorrow.
Almost one month......

Hi there,

I received my UCX from RME after restoring the firmware two days ago. I just checked the interface today: it works again perfectly and connects again to the computer via USB without any problem. I was informed transparently during the whole restoring process in a very friendly way. A simple restore did not work as the built-in eeprom seemed to having been damaged by the firmware update. As RME had to change the eeprom, the distributor had to send it directly to them. So it took a week more than the predicted five days.

I did not have to pay anything and am realy happy about the transparent and fast support (you have to subtract the days for the transports). Yes, the problem was obviously caused by a missing check before publishing the firmware update by RME. That is a pity and I really had a problem because I needed to use the interface on the day that happened. But RME did everything to fix the problem as fast as possible. I am very happy that RME is so relyable to his customers of "old" products (11 years). In fact this longterm support, the transparent and proactive way of confronting the firmware problem and the over so many years experienced famous stability of the drivers are for me very important aspects that imply preferring products of RME also in the future even after this fauxpas.

Thanks. Just a small correction - the flash update did not damage the EEPROM. The EEPROMs die randomly even without flashing - as everything fails one day. In this special case the repair was indeed done courtesy RME.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

In this special case the repair was indeed done courtesy RME.

Are you joking Mister?
Who else could repair a non working card?
After firmware update card died.
Whose responsibility it was?
Only RME could fix it, and only RME was responsible for this mess.

Thanks for repairing Mister.

If you are not able to understand simple english sentences and statements, and are not able to apply simple logic, then maybe you should just refrain from posting. Your constant attacks are both unnecessary, getting on everyones nerves, and serve zero useful purpose.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Of course, I am sorry, I forgot that here is officially RME forum, and of course I am stupid, I can't understand simple statements....

Are you talking about nerves?
One month without sound card... and you are talking about nerves....

So, because of my stupidness I won't buy anything from your company again, and I won't suggest anymore RME products to my students.

One fail flash update in 25 years and it is most probably the last.
After this mistake RME can be recommended even stronger than before, learning from fails is a powerful principle in the business.
In this user forum surely countless students are members, they are learning all the time.

I'm writing just to tell that mine arrived this friday and the ucx runs now flawlessly.

79 (edited by dreamdreamt 2023-05-07 21:55:03)

christo.k wrote:

Of course, I am sorry, I forgot that here is officially RME forum, and of course I am stupid, I can't understand simple statements....

Are you talking about nerves?
One month without sound card... and you are talking about nerves....

So, because of my stupidness I won't buy anything from your company again, and I won't suggest anymore RME products to my students.

Hi Christo , considering your name I suppose you are from my country (BG). I really cannot understand you what do you expect more from these people. They took the responsibility to fix your card on their expenses and provide it back in a fully working state. You cried the world .... I agree with the guys here that every single man , considering himself as a PRO cannot rely just on one card. I work as support for a big western HW providing company and I really do pretend to know what is a good and what is a bad service ... and I am sure (for me) that you even don't have an idea of it , that it can happen to every company in the world despite the size (risk , probabilities etc.) So my advise would be to enjoy the solid products and don't loose nerves (as you mentioned) because life is really short to waste it for such things smile
To RME - congrats guys, keep going like it is , better cannot be.

Regards
Georgi

I wish I would have seen this thread before I flashed my UCX, I don't know why I thought I needed to update anything anyway.

However, I just now downloaded and updated the driver and then flashed my UCX with the new firmware (like I'm sure we've all done quite a few times before). Now Windows isn't seeing my UCX!

I use my UCX as my system sound as well as for my DAW. The funny thing is, my DAW still sees the interface like normal and the unit itself seems to be functioning fine. But Windows doesn't see it as a device anymore (normally I run computer audio out my analog 3/4).

In device manager I'm seeing a generic USB device error:
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.  A request for the USB device descriptor has failed.

I do have a quite a number of USB devices plugged in as I have plenty of midi devices, etc. connected via USB. So, I'm not 100% sure it's the UCX but all my other USB controllers, devices, etc. seem to be working just fine.

I just now routed digital audio from my mobo into the digital audio input on the UCX just to be able to continue having sound while outside of my DAW. I have the output running into a mixer and then into a monitor controller with several sets of monitors and speakers so that portion of my setup / workflow is fairly important.

This happened when I flashed my UCX with the latest FUT. Any thoughts on this?

check the Fireface settings dialog for enabled WDM device number is 1 or bigger, not zero.

waedi wrote:

check the Fireface settings dialog for enabled WDM device number is 1 or bigger, not zero.

Yessss, that was it!! Thank you so much!!

neuromancer wrote:

This happened when I flashed my UCX with the latest FUT.

Nope. It happened when you updated the driver.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME