1 (edited by cupakm 2023-10-18 18:45:18)

Topic: UCX II in CC route Line5/6 in to USB1/2 out possible?

Hi there,

I'd need to route Line inputs 5/6 to USB output 1/2 in CC mode - is this possible?

Its so nice I get 20 in and 20 out, but these are "hard-wired" and as far as I understand I cannot reassign any of them, speaking input 1 goes to USB output 1, input 2 to USB 2 and so on; vice-versa (from UCX' point of view, not host) USB input 1 is always output 1, USB input 7 is always HP 1, etc.

Manual states...

There is no second TotalMix row (no software playback channels), hence no individual routing
or mixing of playback channels (unless the optional app TotalMix FX for iPad is used). These
will always be connected either straight to the physical outputs (CC Mix 20 Ch.), or have an
additional signal copy, see below.

...which I understand as a "no" to my question, as the predefined "signal copies" won't cover this case (and also many others as they are unmodifiable).

If I'm getting it right, then I suggest adding a "USB source" and "USB destination" rows in CHAN/MIX for the CC FW.

Btw, nobody missing a 4th row in TM for such things?

Re: UCX II in CC route Line5/6 in to USB1/2 out possible?

If you use a software that has only input channels 1/2 you can't do anything directly, you have to use another software to route signals to the input channels 1/2 .
The CC-mode of interfaces is fix.
Totalmix has Loopback for this.
A USB-audio-interface has one USB-bus to the computer there is no USB source or USB destination other than that.
Analog and digital inputs and outputs for the computer system.
The three Totalmix rows covering all possible demands.
CC-mode is made for iPad and there you have (thanksfully) the exact same Totalmix in the app.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

3 (edited by cupakm 2023-10-18 20:18:41)

I don't see the CC mode as a fix, am using it in Linux, where it actually works quite well (enjoyable sub-2 ms or sub-3 ms RTL, depending on sample rate), but no TM, sadly.
USB "source" and "destination" maybe is not the best term used. I had routing signals coming from and to the PC in mind.

SoundDevices MixPre series do cover this very well, having a set of physical inputs, physical outputs, and exposing USB ins and outs. One can route anything to anywhere on the device directly, plus a stereo sub-mix. (And yes one can get a loopback too.)

CC is not made for iPad only, see manual:

The Fireface UCX II operates in two different modes: driver-based USB2 and Class Compliant.
The latter describes a standard that is natively supported by operating systems like Windows,
Mac OS X and Linux. No proprietary drivers are required, the device will be directly recognized
when the CC firmware is loaded.

Was the reason I bought the unit in the first place.

Regarding the SW I use - Ardour DAW can route as I please, but I need to switch between recording and video-conferencing or calls (using the same headset) and there are apps my clients demand to use, which can utilize only outputs 1&2 out of 20... that is the use-case behind. Means I will either must use Mic ins 1 or 2, or stick to SoundDevices and do whatever I want.

4 (edited by waedi 2023-10-18 20:22:14)

Ah I see, yes you are right you can use CC-mode on every computer that supports CC driver.
I don't know what SoundDevices MixPre is but it seems to cover your demands and you can work with it.
This forum has a dedicated Linux part btw.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

This forum has a dedicated Linux part btw.

Yeah I posted there a few times... but I was asking about CC mode and USB connectivity.

Anyway, "it isn't" is answer to my question.

waedi wrote:

don't know what SoundDevices MixPre is

Field recorders usable as audio interfaces.