Re: Room EQ, Crossfeed, Triple SPDIF - UFX+, UFX II, UFX III, UCX II

Kubrak wrote:

I just replied the question. I know there are technical limits (DSP and/or RAM size).

UCX/UFX are old, but 802 is not that old, it has been replaced by 802 FS few months ago... So that is why I have added. :-(

The 802 is way older than the UFX

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

102 (edited by ramses 2024-01-30 07:46:17)

mattrixx wrote:
Kubrak wrote:

I just replied the question. I know there are technical limits (DSP and/or RAM size).

UCX/UFX are old, but 802 is not that old, it has been replaced by 802 FS few months ago... So that is why I have added. :-(

The 802 is way older than the UFX

If you mean the old UFX, then no.
According to the information that I found for my Excel (https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35156):

UFX:      2010
UCX:      2012
802:      2014
UFX+:    2016
UFX II:   2017
UCX II:   2021
UFX III:  2023
UFX II (HW update): 2023
802 FS: 2023

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

103 (edited by mattrixx 2024-01-30 07:42:20)

I think you'll find it was 2004 not 2014 for the FF800.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/news_list_of_records.php

Scroll down to 2004.

----------------
----------------

ramses wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

I think you'll find it was 2004 not 2014 for the FF800.

Sorry, I do not understand, nobody mentioned FF800, what do you mean?

Apologies, I miss read 802.

----------------
----------------

To bad it's not available for the UFX, now i'm considering to sell my otherwise beautiful UFX just for this option.

106 (edited by waldengene1 2024-01-30 20:37:57)

802fs user here. Just upgraded from a 2014 FF802. This update can’t come soon enough as I just changed monitors, was about to start to tune my room, and was close to purchasing a program to do what this update will cover… Any ole time now for us 802fs users would be fabulously great… ;-) plz

btw the new 802fs is a pretty significant upgrade in detail, soundstage, and imaging over the 802. Kudos!!!

107 (edited by mr.r 2024-02-01 18:46:41)

Looks superb. I can't test it because my RME does not support it. I also don't get this information in the manual.

Is it possible to have a low shelf and a low cut in combination?
Sometimes it's good to limit speakers at night or to simulate smaller speakers when you have full range speakers. A broad low shelf is helpful to add add or remove a bit of lower frequency to taste.

I see 3 filter type buttons, but I have no idea what's available behind them (especially the one on node 8) the and if all filters can be be freely placed in the spectrum (20-20k). Some eqs can't move nodes of the upper frequency range to the lowest frequency for example, like when you can't set a lower frequency than node 3 has for node 4.

Do I see it correctly that you can delay the left and right channels individually?

Some idea. What come to my mind is an equal-loudness curve function. You would calibrate a volume of 85db my measurement and set it as the reference point. And from there on the curve is adapted by the change of the volume in total mix accordingly.

How do you think about tilt filters for small taste adaption of the spectrum without introducing too much colouration?

How about the Madiface XT? Is the room EQ gonna be available for that device as well?

It has all been said already:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 47#p211247

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Crosfeed function on line outs is great. It’s a new perspective +1 smile

Updated firmware, new drivers + total mix for UCX II.

Am i being totally dumb...how do I calibrate Room EQ for speaker correction?

bobeschism wrote:

Either you do it by ear in case your hearing of frequencies is so refined that you are able to do that, or you use a program like Room EQ Wizzard and do some analytical recordings of each separate speaker from your listening position (or better from several positions around that area). Then you will get a better idea in which way your room changes the sound coming out of the speakers.

However, this is no magical trick: there are many aspects of the changed room sound that cannot be corrected by just adding an EQ! So, just by using one, you won't automatically get a great sound. That has to be achieved the hard way by building the room in a certain way and adding treatment like absorbers and deflectors the right way. The EQ is mainly good for getting rid of the last few problems that you couldn't get right treating the room. And even before room treatment comes speaker placement.

But if all of that is new to you, here is a friendly warning: you are about to open a can of worms and you will probably be busy learning and working for some years until you will really get decent results in achieving a great studio sound. :-)

bobeschism wrote:

Use something like Sonarworks SoundID and output the room calibration as a text file and manually enter the EQ settings. Takes a heap of time especially if you have an Atmos setup, but very well worth it.

----------------
----------------

I wouldn't mind if they left out the FX from the UFX for use of the Room EQ instead.

Just saw this notification via email this morning.

Am I to understand with all the chatter in here that this new functionality is still in a "beta/RC" state rather than ready for the real world?

I cannot afford to update any firmware that may cause my UCX-II to not start/malfunction etc.

Appreciate an update from HQ if possible.,

Cheers

VP

MC wrote:
Verminante wrote:

1. Concerning the "Added independent use of AES, ADAT1 and ADAT2 as 3-way AES/SPDIF I/O." could anyone please explain what this means in practical terms and give an example of how it can be used? I currently have a UFXII with a Kemper connected via AES/SPDIF and two Behringer 8 channel ADAT extensions...

Trying to a explain it a bit different than Ramses:

Before, using ADAT2 as SPDIF was using the AES I/O, so AES In was dead, and AES Out had the same signal as ADAT2 Out. So basically a single AES/SPDIF I/O.

Now AES, ADAT1 and ADAT2 work independently, so you have a triple AES/SPDIF I/O instead of only one. The old way of working is still available by choosing AES for ADAT2 Output.

Hi. I have an Expert Sleepers MIDI over SPDIF interface unit, but I cannot get it to accept consumer mode SPDIF from the AES output on my UFX II. I think the voltage being sent is not correct, as all the midi port activity LED's flicker like there is massive data corruption and overload.

The cable I am using is the one specified in the UFX II manual. The pin connections have been verified with a multimeter. I know the MIDI unit is working fine because it will function correctly when run from the ADAT port 2 in SPDIF mode, through a consumer optical to coax convertor.

What voltage peak to peak does the AES output provide in consumer mode? SPDIF should be 0.5Vp-p, 18dB less than the AES3 average of 4Vp-p. The manual just specifies that a 'lower' voltage is used.

I really need to get it working from the AES output because I don't want to lose the 8 channels of ADAT output.

UFX+ on macOS 10.14, I see there is no driver update later than 1.13.
Are the new firmware and Totalmix going to be working anyway?
Thanks

www.unguitar.com
https://linktr.ee/lucaformentini

118 (edited by jeffrmeforumID 2024-02-09 22:54:45)

Mac M1 running Sonora 14.2.1 RME UCX ii

Just chiming in to say thanks! Did the updates and it went flawlessly. Headphone Crossfeed is a really nice touch.

One note: At least in my case, the kernel update reset my speaker configuration in my Audio Midi setup and consequently had some of my workspace routings nonoperational. Resetting my speaker outputs in Audio Midi settings, however, fixed it right up.

Follow up: after installing new firmware I see:
firmware v112
driver 1.13
Totalmix FX 1.60 - so no Room EQ and Crossfeed

Unguitar; Luca Formentini wrote:

UFX+ on macOS 10.14, I see there is no driver update later than 1.13.
Are the new firmware and Totalmix going to be working anyway?
Thanks

www.unguitar.com

Driver 1.13 was the last Thunderbolt driver for macOS 10. If firmware 112 is still compatible (we do not test this combination anymore) then you could download TM FX 1.93 and try what works or not...

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_193.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

121 (edited by Unguitar; Luca Formentini 2024-02-10 09:57:03)

yes Matthias,
happy to confirm it works.
Amazing job, as always.
Thank you + all the best,
Luca

MC wrote:

Driver 1.13 was the last Thunderbolt driver for macOS 10. If firmware 112 is still compatible (we do not test this combination anymore) then you could download TM FX 1.93 and try what works or not...

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/tmfx_mac_193.zip

www.unguitar.com

Matthias, thank you for listening your users! This is the demostration why we use RME!

Saludos Enrique.

Love this new Room EQ feature. Thanks for that.

Is it possible to use an ARC USB or a midi controller to toggle Room EQ presets? Or at least turn Room EQ on and off? And preferably also being able to control crossfeed in the same way.

I'm using several headphones and are EQ:ing them differently. Would be awesome not having to open totalmix, expand the tools, click RoomEQ, open presets and select a preset (5 clicks).

And it's not visible somewhere which preset is already applied except for the curves.

What do you think is the best way to measure and compensate your room with Room EQ?

I'm using Sonarworks right now and have their mic. Room EQ solution seems more streamlined though!

robj232 wrote:

How can I get my room correction from IK Arc 3 to my main out of my UCX II? Would I need to just eq to the best of my ability to look and sound as it does in the plugin? https://ibb.co/18LBjrS

I use ARC3 at the moment and would love to replace it with the new room eq.

126 (edited by mattrixx 2024-02-16 01:02:42)

I can't speak for ARC3, however, I exported my Room correction settings out of Sonarworks SoundID and manually entered them into Totalmix and saved that as a Workspace (duplicate, only with RoomEQ enabled). I'm able to quickly change Workspaces using the Workspace Quick select function of Totalmix (shortcut 'W'), when pulling up older jobs that have SoundID built into the monitor path of a session.

----------------
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

I can't speak for ARC3, however, I exported my Room correction settings out of Sonarworks SoundID and manually entered them into Totalmix and saved that as a Workspace (duplicate, only with RoomEQ enabled). I'm able to quickly change Workspaces using the Workspace Quick select function of Totalmix (shortcut 'W'), when pulling up older jobs that have SoundID built into the monitor path of a session.

How did you export the data from sonarworks? What file format?

Text file .txt

----------------
----------------

Hi RME,

Are there any latency implications between having ‘Room EQ’ enabled or not between outputs.  eg. A 5.1 output comprising 6 outputs, my main L&R outputs require no processing.  My C output requires a small delay & vol cal which toggles ‘Room EQ’ on, my Ls & Rs require delay and vol cal with very minor EQ, so both delay and EQ are enabled.  I’ve put an additional 0.01ms delay in ALL channels so Totalmix shows ‘Room EQ’ enabled on all channels, even though I don’t want/have any processing on L&R.  So is there any difference between the EQ section enabled/disabled with EQ flat in terms of time delay etc. that would affect processed vs unprocessed speaker paths?

Many thanks.  Incidentally, this update is absolutely fantastic and really improves the interface's use for surround audio.

I am trying to compensate the nessesary delay by using the surround panner in Logic and sending a click to two channels and setting the delay time in room EQ so that I hear the click in the middle between two speakers in listening position. That is close enough for me.
For adjusting a LFE sub, using a 60 Hz sine wave sending to all speakers and adjusting the delay, measuring the maximal level with a SPL meter might work best for me.
In my case, some speakers have different latency because I use a combination of different Neumann speakers.
My main speakers are KH 310 with a KH 750 sub. Calibrating these with the Neumann MA1 software causing them to have more latency than the KH 80 and KH 120 II, I use for surround and top. At this time, Neumann MA1 is not able to compensate this with their actual software version in this  7.1.4 configuration.
So I'm depending on the RME Totalmix FX which works quite well for me.
I hope that RME will deliver a firmware update for my FF 802 FS so that I can take my UFX+ for location recording again.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Hi,
I don't understand what I'll do!
I have a UFX+ with Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1, what I exactly download and install?
There is a sequence to do that?

Thanks

Holy..
just saw that in my TM control panel.
First tests with headphones and my main 2.0 setup look promising.
Sometimes a few PEQs, delays and gains are sufficient compared to the overcorrection some room eq solutions produce.
Though I do use Dirac for many years now. smile
Thanks

Yesterday I replaced my UFX + with room EQ TotalMix with my FF 802 FS and downloaded a trial version of Live Professor for getting latency compensation of several mixed speakers with and without DSP for 7.1.4.
Works ok for FF 802 FS owners who cannot wait until the firmware update for room eq is available, thanks to the loopback feature.
The trial period for Live Professor is 100 days.
Hopefully RME will deliver before the end ;-)

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

That should work out smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

135 (edited by Manuel 2024-02-26 12:51:55)

@MC What are your thoughts on adding an option to include Room EQ settings in Snapshots? If you haven't already, please check notably ploki's post and mine. Thanks!

136 (edited by zabukowski 2024-03-01 10:18:23)

I'm encountering a strange issue with my UCXII interface, even after updating to the latest firmware and drivers from the Downloads page. When I hard pan a channel (to the right, for example) and feed it to the headphones, I'm still hearing a signal with very low volume in the left channel. I've ensured that the crossfeed on the headphones output is set to off. Meter on headphones channel doesn't show any activity on the left channel, though.

Interestingly, two of my colleagues tried the same thing with their UFX interfaces and are experiencing exactly the same behavior.

Do you have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thank you!
Franci

Win10 21H2

Dear all, I've noticed Crossfeed and Room EQ settings are not saved into snapshots in Totalmix (W10 system, TotalMix FX 1.93, UFX+ on USB3 driver 0.9831 date 08.01.24, HW rev 55)
My purpose is to be able to switch on/off the headphone correction both EQ and Crossfeed at the same time... or to be able to try different calibration settings on multiple different channels for my speakers, switching from a snapshot to another.
I'm sure it can be of big help in other scenarios, too.
Do you think it could be usefull as well?
@RME: could it be possible to implement this feature, please?
Thanks for the effort you put in protect our gear-investments, keeping your product up to date!

RME UFX+, Octamic XTC
Benchmark DAC1, Sennheiser HD660S
Schoeps MK2S, 21, 4, 41, KM184, TLM103, C414

138 (edited by hansrohdin 2024-03-12 18:25:40)

mattrixx wrote:

Text file .txt

You can't get .txt files from Sonarworks AFAIK, only for the mic freq response. They use some proprietary, and encrypted, file formats .swproj and .swhp (for headphones).

Any other ideas?

Just brainstorming, what if I run REW through Sonarworks in the box. That might work...

hansrohdin wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Text file .txt

Any other ideas?

I'm using ProQ3 EQ matching feature.
I take pink noise runnong through the soundid with the studio correction. When matching the curve I select max 12 points (9 with the room eq e 3 with channel eq) and then replicate the settings.
It worked quite well with the headphone correction curve, have to try with studio measurements yet. Anyway the difference also sits in the slope of the bands between proQ and totalmix eq, but it's a good starting point

RME UFX+, Octamic XTC
Benchmark DAC1, Sennheiser HD660S
Schoeps MK2S, 21, 4, 41, KM184, TLM103, C414

hansrohdin wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Text file .txt

You can't get .txt files from Sonarworks AFAIK, only for the mic freq response. They use some proprietary, and encrypted, file formats .swproj and .swhp (for headphones).

Any other ideas?

Just brainstorming, what if I run REW through Sonarworks in the box. That might work...

You absolutely CAN get the txt file from Sonarworks.

----------------
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

How? I'm using SW4.

hansrohdin wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

How? I'm using SW4.

Oh, I see, you'd need SoundID Reference to do the export.

----------------
----------------

mattrixx wrote:
hansrohdin wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

How? I'm using SW4.

I have SoundID Reference 5.9. How can i match the EQ curve from that to the totalmix Room EQ. I would be happy if you could explain please?

UFX II, Cubase 12 Pro, Windows 11 23H2, i7 14700K, ASUS Prime Z790-A WIFI, Corsair 32GB DDR5 5600MHz

Mr Zorro wrote:
mattrixx wrote:
hansrohdin wrote:

How? I'm using SW4.

I have SoundID Reference 5.9. How can i match the EQ curve from that to the totalmix Room EQ. I would be happy if you could explain please?

Go to the Preset you'd like to export (top left list) Right click and choose Export.
In the "Select your device" choose, DAD family, then choose Parametric Equaliser parameter file.
It will export both 8 and 16 band versions of your profile.
You can then manually enter the data in RME, RoomEQ.
It's time consuming but well worth it.

----------------
----------------

mattrixx wrote:
Mr Zorro wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Go to the Preset you'd like to export (top left list) Right click and choose Export.
In the "Select your device" choose, DAD family, then choose Parametric Equaliser parameter file.
It will export both 8 and 16 band versions of your profile.
You can then manually enter the data in RME, RoomEQ.
It's time consuming but well worth it.

Thanks, i will try that :-)

UFX II, Cubase 12 Pro, Windows 11 23H2, i7 14700K, ASUS Prime Z790-A WIFI, Corsair 32GB DDR5 5600MHz

Wow - thank you for this update!
Didn´t expect to get the SPDif-Options of the UFX III on my UFX+.

Frequently in use:
Fireface UFX+, Fireface 800 (as a AD/DA-Converter) and an old RME Sweater... ;-)

I seen that only the HDSPe Madi Fx Rev 2.0 MIGHT be able to run this and of course I have the Rev 1.2 (like most others I guess).

Is there any chance it could run by limiting the insane amount of possible channels (or any other compromise) or it is simply 100% impossible?

Thanks!

Will the BabyFace Pro FS get the crossfeed feature? I could really use that.

Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 | RME BabyFace Pro FS | Mac Studio M2 Max 12 Core CPU 38 Core GPU MacOs 13.5

diego.ceruti wrote:

Dear all, I've noticed Crossfeed and Room EQ settings are not saved into snapshots in Totalmix (W10 system, TotalMix FX 1.93, UFX+ on USB3 driver 0.9831 date 08.01.24, HW rev 55)
My purpose is to be able to switch on/off the headphone correction both EQ and Crossfeed at the same time... or to be able to try different calibration settings on multiple different channels for my speakers, switching from a snapshot to another.
I'm sure it can be of big help in other scenarios, too.
Do you think it could be usefull as well?
@RME: could it be possible to implement this feature, please?
Thanks for the effort you put in protect our gear-investments, keeping your product up to date!

Yes, it would be very useful. Others have requested this on this thread and also elsewhere, which is a good thing.

dyonight wrote:

I seen that only the HDSPe Madi Fx Rev 2.0 MIGHT be able to run this and of course I have the Rev 1.2 (like most others I guess).

Is there any chance it could run by limiting the insane amount of possible channels (or any other compromise) or it is simply 100% impossible?

Thanks!

Also have a rev 1.2 card unfortunately. Will probably end up selling it for a rev 2.0 card if room eq gets released exclusively for the rev 2.0 card.