101 (edited by rawac 2024-07-26 12:19:57)

Re: ADI-2 Remote V 2.0 – we can't stop!

Arie1111 wrote:

Been enjoying my ADI 2 FS for about 3 years now. .... Couldn't live without the PEQ functionality ... using the remote software to backup my settings. ...

This is an ADI-2 FS:

https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/Converter/ADI-2-FS-C.png

No USB, no remote software, no PEQ. sad

For an ADI-2 PRO or ADI-2 DAC or ADI-2/4 PRO you can connect a unidirectionaler USB A to SPDIF adapter to your PC and use the ADI-? *** SPDIF input as second input.

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

Ah... Though the front of my DAC only says 'ADI 2 FS' tt appears I have the ADI 2 FS pro version, with the built-in display, USB input and  and PEQ capabilities.

Arie1111 wrote:

Been enjoying my ADI 2 FS for about 3 years now. It's just awesome. Couldn't live without the PEQ functionality any more to get the best out of my speaker and headphone setups. Since I put a lot of energy in getting the PEQ profiles right I love the idea of using the remote software to backup my settings.

Now my question. I stream music via the usb input. The FS has only one input. Is there any way I can connect the streamer and a windows PC at the same time? E.g., using a hub?

1) ADI-2 FS has no EQ functionality.
2) ADI-2 FS has two digital inputs (optical and coaxial) and an analog input.
3) ADI-2 FS has no USB interface.
4) USB hub generally does not allow connecting more than one host device. If you need to connect USB devices to more than one host, you need to use a USB switch with more than one upstream ports or a USB-over-IP switch.

Arie1111 wrote:

Ah... Though the front of my DAC only says 'ADI 2 FS' tt appears I have the ADI 2 FS pro version, with the built-in display, USB input and  and PEQ capabilities.

We never sold Pros that have no 'Pro' printed on the front. Could you provide a photo for clarity?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Mine looks exactly like this:

https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/345009 … dac-fs.jpg

Sorry for providing a link - uploading a picture is not as straightforward as I thought.

Arie1111 wrote:

Mine looks exactly like this:

https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/345009/files/425193958/rme-adi-2-dac-fs.jpg

Sorry for providing a link - uploading a picture is not as straightforward as I thought.

Use [img]...[/img] instead of [url]...[/url].
DAC

roll

Ralf
(ADI-2 Pro FS with ThinkPad Yoga L13, Dynaudio Focus 600 XD or Focal Clear — and a lot of Jazz)

Ah, you're right - the word DAC is in between.

Back to the original Q: it's clear to me now that I would need a USB switch. Which is a pity because it means I can't make changes on the fly via the PC and immediately assess what it does sonically. (The streaming device loses connection and needs to reboot to reestablish the link with the DAC).

The software will serve me well to make backups of my PEQ profiles though. Thanks for that RME!

108 (edited by ramses 2024-07-27 12:35:28)

Arie1111 wrote:

Been enjoying my ADI-2 (EDIT: DAC) FS for about 3 years now. It's just awesome. Couldn't live without the PEQ functionality anymore to get the best out of my speaker and headphone setups. Since I put a lot of energy in getting the PEQ profiles right, I love the idea of using the remote software to back up my settings.

Now my question. I stream music via the USB input. The FS has only one input. Is there any way I can connect the streamer and a Windows PC at the same time? E.g., using a hub?

Which streamer? Does it have - besides USB - other digital outputs like optical or coax. SPDIF?

Then you could connect it this way:

Option A:

PC---USB---------------ADI-2 DAC FS
                                 /
Streamer---SPDIF---+

Option B:

More flexibility might give you such a setup with RME recording interface and TotalMix FX:

+--USB---ARC USB (optional: remote controlling TM FX of Digiface USB)
   /
PC---USB---------------------Digiface USB---ADAT OUT------->ADI-2 DAC FS
                                          ADAT IN
                                         /
Streamer---SPDIF(opt)--+

More Options:
If you like a PCIe card more, then instead of Digiface USB (€444) or a PCIe based card. This you could combine with an ARC USB if you want to change the routing based on the Digiface USB (TotalMix FX) by pushing a knob.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

109 (edited by KaiS 2024-07-27 12:50:10)

Arie1111 wrote:

…  it means I can't make changes on the fly via the PC and immediately assess what it does sonically. (The streaming device loses connection and needs to reboot to reestablish the link with the DAC).

If your streamer doesn’t have Optical or Coax out, get an inexpensive USB to Optical (preferred) or Coax interface, between streamer and ADI-2 DAC.

This way you can have PC and streamer both connected AND active at the same time.

Even better than an USB switch that might cause more problems than it solves.

Would you guys consider open sourcing the remote? It sure would be great to have community support. If not, what about adding api access or midi mapping so we can extend the use cases to hardware? So many great modular encoder and pot systems out there that would be perfect smile

Kewk wrote:

what about adding api access or midi mapping so we can extend the use cases to hardware?

The MIDI command reference was published simultaneously with the ADI-2 Remote app.