51 (edited by ZYron 2009-04-14 15:59:00)

Re: HDSPe AIO and hiss

Hi Guys,

johanp wrote:

I had my AIO card modified by my distributor a week ago and I still get the hiss when like moving the cursor in XP.
There is no IRQ conflict.
The card has its own IRQ.

The Phone output is better then before the mod but it is not acceptable.
The main output has not only the hiss but also an annoying somekind of digital distortion.

/Johan

I still got the unmodified AIO because my distributer knows nothing about the problem.
I was told to send in the Card.. of cause paying the postage myself.
And now I read that *the fix* is working "not so good"? :-)
Please RME people.. can you tell us what is causing the problem?
I can easy go to a store and buy a new PSU or even a new MB..
Who need a fix that is not working 100%.
Damn I spend a lot of money for that AIO. :-)

Greeting ZYron

I had my AIO card modified by my distributor a week ago and I still get the hiss when like moving the cursor in XP.
The main output has not only the hiss but also an annoying somekind of digital distortion.

That is a typical post of someone being alerted for such effects and now hearing it everywhere at every time. Please note these:

- You are using an internal card. There is no 100% noise-free operation possible. If you want so then please get an external unit.

- After the mod the AIO beats the 9632 by 6 dB. Nobody ever complained about that card because people expect something like this to happen (inside the computer).

- The main out will work absolutely noise-free when used with balanced connections. Get rid of possible ground problems and typical computer noise will go away too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ZYron wrote:

I still got the unmodified AIO because my distributer knows nothing about the problem.

I doubt this statement is correct. Who is 'your distributor'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

54 (edited by ZYron 2009-04-14 19:30:22)

MC wrote:
ZYron wrote:

I doubt this statement is correct. Who is 'your distributor'?

www.musik-schmidt.de
I was told on Wed, 08 Apr 2009 that they don't know about the problem.. They said, we will take a look into the forum and call RME for confirmation.. A day later I got a email, wich said.. send the card back.
I can do that.. but will it really help?
Modified cards are out.. and 2 people complaining.

Greetings ZYron

MC wrote:

That is a typical post of someone being alerted for such effects and now hearing it everywhere at every time. Please note these:

- You are using an internal card. There is no 100% noise-free operation possible. If you want so then please get an external unit.

- After the mod the AIO beats the 9632 by 6 dB. Nobody ever complained about that card because people expect something like this to happen (inside the computer).

- The main out will work absolutely noise-free when used with balanced connections. Get rid of possible ground problems and typical computer noise will go away too.

Thank you for your reply on this!

I just upgraded from an M-audio Audiophile 2496 (internal card) with no strange artifacts.
Same computer.
Same proper grounding.
The 2496 has not even balanced connections.
I can hear that the AIO sounds much better but the hiss is to annoying to accept.
/johan

This is not a distributor, this is a dealer. And he is right, please send the card back.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I tried hooking up balanced I/O and recorded pure silence.  The balanced output's noise floor is around -96dB in my PC.

Sennheiser HD25 can hear high frequency noise clearly, and it's not so obvious using AKG s270(s270 is not good for frequency higher than 10k).

I understand the technical difficulty of getting internal card's analogue I/O noise free, but I don't understand the noise caused by mouse movement.   Is this because of PCI bus or software conflicts?

Also, the analogue high frequency noise, the frequency of the noise gets higher as I shorten the latency,(not the volume).  Is this normal?

Many thanks.

Mick

Is your card a modified version?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

according to the dealer, yes.

there are 2 hand soldered wires on the board.

My friend and I got the same batch of cards and he's able to the noise floor down to -100dB stably. (analogue balanced output, using custom made magami 3173 cable, and I got -96dB using balanced breakout cable)

He too hears high frequency noise and mouse movement noise(program changes, drawing faders) using balanced/unbalanced breakout cable.  No mouse movement noise when using digital outputs.  Which I find weird because I thought mouse movement noise seems more like a software thing, and if going digital has no problems, I don't know what's causing the noise.

I only experience mouse noise when drawing AIO's mixer fader, no problem when changing program windows.  I don't have D/A equipment to test with.

We both think AIO is a great card and are just trying everything to make it perfect smile

Mick

Whatever noise you hear comes directly from the analog output stages. It's caused by ground and power supply. As it originates directly in the output stage it is independent from your output level settings. That makes it diffcult especially for the headphone output. If you have a very sensitive (powerful) headphone you have to reduce the output volume in TotalMix and via the output level reference. But the noise will not be reduced, it stays like before, means it is more audible as when using a less loud headphone.

Regarding your measurement: Connect in and out, make sure the same I/O level is selected, then start DIGICheck with the Bit Stat at 48 kHz. You can see the true RMS and dBA weighted values. With the AIO and using balanced cables it should read about -108 dBFS (not 96).

BTW, where are you located?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx, I'll test that accordingly.

Taiwan, the cards were purchased from SFB Electronics.

A quick question, performance wise, does AIO beat other RME pcie cards lilke HDSPe AES or Multiface II with PCIe cards?

A quick question, performance wise, does AIO beat other RME pcie cards lilke HDSPe AES or Multiface II with PCIe cards?

They are using all the same technology so there is no performance gain of one PCI ExpressCard above the other.

best regards
Knut

63 (edited by fabriciom 2009-04-21 12:45:37)

I've got my card today and I have the hiss. What to do now that 2 sales people at Musik-Productiv lied to me?

Hi,

I saw that there are black wires soldered (by hand) on the HDSPe AIO PCB (Rev. 1.3). kuanding also said that he saw the same rework on his HDSPe AIO card.

Could you answer below questions?

1. Is this rework for PCB Rev. 1.3 only?

2. Is it for resolving the "hiss" issue or just for another bug? Could you let me know why you did this rework?

3. Will you modify your PCB layout in the future to avoid this rework process?

Thank you.

Tom Huang wrote:

Hi,

I saw that there are black wires soldered (by hand) on the HDSPe AIO PCB (Rev. 1.3). kuanding also said that he saw the same rework on his HDSPe AIO card.

That is part of the noise mod.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

66 (edited by Tom Huang 2009-04-22 08:00:44)

MC wrote:
Tom Huang wrote:

Hi,

That is part of the noise mod.

Sorry, I don't understand your meaning very well.
Do you mean that rework can improve the noise level?
Thanks.

Tom Huang wrote:

That's what the modification looks like...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
Tom Huang wrote:

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for reply.
I understand sometimes manual rework is unavoidable after SMT process. For Hi-End audio card, however, user may not be happy when he see reworking wires on the PCB. I wonder if you will modify your PCB layout to avoid it in the future. Maybe other customers also have the same concerns. Thank you.

69 (edited by fabriciom 2009-04-23 00:37:00)

Tom Huang wrote:
RME Support wrote:
Tom Huang wrote:

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for reply.
I understand sometimes manual rework is unavoidable after SMT process. For Hi-End audio card, however, user may not be happy when he see reworking wires on the PCB. I wonder if you will modify your PCB layout to avoid it in the future. Maybe other customers also have the same concerns. Thank you.

I personally dont care much, as long as I get a working card Im happy.

Tom Huang wrote:

I wonder if you will modify your PCB layout to avoid it in the future.

I'm pretty sure RME will do so ...

Got a replacemente today and it still has the hiss. Very low but you can hear it. Has something to do with the analog input because if you play with the configuration it lowers and raises. I also have new mac pro. At least the noise does not come out in recordings or in the monitor outputs. I'm not 100% satisfied, but what other option do we have.

I got AIO card rev1.3 and got the hiss when moving the cursor or dragging windows in XP using AIO phones.
Is it a OK version?

JW.Chen, please mail me the serial number.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

74 (edited by Tom Huang 2009-05-07 16:07:43)

I received my AIO last week. I also hear the hiss when I use my mouse to drag the windows or the scrollbar.
I use the headphone jack to connect a AKG K66. OS is windows XP SP3. The serial number of my card is 22906642.
Is it possible to be caused by wrong software setting?
Thank you.

any updates on this issue? i was (no joking) about to order an AIO and happened to check the forum one more time before i ordered and saw this thread, im thinking my original plan of the metric halo ULN-2 still might be the route to go. holding for a few days to see if this is rectified:-(

chucknkd wrote:

any updates on this issue? i was (no joking) about to order an AIO and happened to check the forum one more time before i ordered and saw this thread, im thinking my original plan of the metric halo ULN-2 still might be the route to go. holding for a few days to see if this is rectified:-(

Hi to all. This my first post!

Like chucknkd I was ready to order an AIO (after a long waiting period for this product to come out).
I checked this forum, minutes before I place my order and I am very disappointed with what I read.

I found another product that suits my needs (ESI maxio 32e for whom is interested) but I am willing to give RME AIO another chance IF I get convinced that the problem is no longer there and that the solution will be a redesign and certainly NOT a welding of the PCB by hand.

I don't want a brand new "shirt" with a "patch" on it.

I have 6 other collaborates who are also interested for the AIO and they now looking for alternate products.
I hope you will inform us properly about any thoughts for a redesigned version.
The "green dot"solution is just not enough for a pricey hi-end product.

The "green dot" is a modification for existing cards. There is/will be a redesigned card.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Could RME answer my previous question?
I hear the "hiss" via the headphone output at below conditions.

1. drag the window
2. drag the scrollbar (very obvious)
3. hard disk R/W

The serial number of my card is 22906642. There is no "green dot" in my box but the dealer told me that is the modified card.
Please let me know if my card is a modified card or not.
Thank you.

My case is not an independent case. Some guys told me that they also have similar issue. However, our OS are all Microsoft Windows.
Is this issue only found in MS Windows environment?

Some detailed information on the situation from RME would be appreciated. I was also considering the AIO but is now looking for alternatives.

Tom Huang wrote:

According to my files, this is a modified card (the modificationis also easy to spot). Does the noise occur when you connect headphones only?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

is there any kind of timeline of this getting fixed? evidently the problem is still there in the modified cards so im questioning if the problem has been properly identified TO fix, which then leads me to believe this is not something that will be cleared up soon (in the next month).
thanks for all the info and im really glad the forum is here to alert us to such things.
thx
c

RME Support wrote:
Tom Huang wrote:

According to my files, this is a modified card (the modificationis also easy to spot). Does the noise occur when you connect headphones only?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The noise occur when I connect my AKG K66. However, I don't know if it only occurs by using headphone because I have only the headphone for test at this moment. Do you need the component list for my PC to analysis?
Thanks.

Have you come up with any solution?
I got the same mouse move noise problem sometimes.
Though it doesn't annoy me since it's not frequent.

But I get high frequency noise when I play back higher sampling rate files such as 96k or 192k.
The noise is slight but audible.

Also when I playback 192k files, the analog in shows around -50db while it should be around - 100db as it is at lower sampling rate.

I think this is because the ground noise coupled in to the analog in via the RCA breakout cable.
It should be eliminated if XLR cable is used. However, I think for the proficiency of RME, this kind of problems including ground noise should be eliminated in a better way.

The problem was obvious if i use high Sensitivity or low Impedance headphones via AIO phones.
Otherwise,not.

85 (edited by Tom Huang 2009-05-16 15:54:06)

1. The noise seems depend on the impedance of the headphone. The noise for using the headphone with higher impendance is less than the noise for using the headphone with lower impendance. K66 is with relative low impendance (32ohms). Hence, I can hear the noise easily.

2. If I turn off the "hardware Acceleration", it will improve the noise for draging the windows scrollbar.

http://support.plato.com/images/kb/4689b.jpg

3. Do you still care about this "hiss" issue or you don't think this is an issue?

Thank you.

Are the non-hotwired cards available yet?  I'm looking at the HDSPe, but I don't want a modified one.  I'm waiting for the redesign (assuming it's coming....).

Gammatos wrote:

I don't want a brand new "shirt" with a "patch" on it.
I hope you will inform us properly about any thoughts for a redesigned version.

Are the non-hotwired cards available yet?  I'm looking at the HDSPe, but I don't want a modified one.  I'm waiting for the redesign (assuming it's coming....).

+1

Seems like "the rats are leaving the sinking ship", as the saying goes...

Sorry, RME, I don't appreciate your PR-handling of this stillbirth - my HDSPe goes back for good.

For the first time ever I have decided to be one step ahead, and I am very lucky I did that.. instead of facing all problems when I have bought the product I will go through this forum and read about all problems that I can expect to have when I get the soundcard. I must say that this thread definitely did make me worried and surprised, this is not something I would expect from an RME, and we are still waiting for an official statement...

Like many other people in this thread am I still waiting for an official answer from RME, cause I do not want the old modified version, I want the new redesigned version, is it out in the stores yet ?
And if so...how do you know if you buy the old or the new one ???

How many versions are there now really ?
http://www.thomann.de/se/rme_hdspe_aio.htm

On this picture, the front is black, while on the RME site it is silver ?
I assume that these are different versions ?

Noticed another problem today. Since the noise and clicking get so annoying what I do is mute the whole card yet when I do this all it does its mute the right channel of the phones the left still outputs sound...

Blackinfinity wrote:

No, they are not. It's just a change of colour of the slot board.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

92 (edited by Blackinfinity 2009-05-25 15:28:26)

RME Support wrote:
Blackinfinity wrote:

No, they are not. It's just a change of colour of the slot board.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have compared them with my eyes

http://www.rme-audio.de/images/products … aio_1b.jpg

http://images4.thomann.de/pics/bdb/2204 … 27_800.jpg

There seem to be design differences as well, the new one does have additional components.
So that the only difference is the color is in fact not correct.
So I assume I want the new one of course....

The Silver models, are they also affected by this audio hiss/noise problem ?
Cause I do not want to buy an audio card, and then send it somewhere who do a "quick fix"

How do I know that I get the new one ?

Blackinfinity wrote:

There seem to be design differences as well, the new one does have additional components.

Is this a serious comment? HeadScratch :roll
These symbolic pictures do not claim to be 100 % accurate and photographic.
Please don't draw premature conclusions based on them.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
Blackinfinity wrote:

Is this a serious comment? HeadScratch :roll
These symbolic pictures do not claim to be 100 % accurate and photographic.
Please don't draw premature conclusions based on them.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Is this a serious comment to one your potential customers ?
The question is valid. So this "symbolic" picture what is this really ?
Why put out an picture that does not reflect the reality ???
If this is only an "symbolic" picture...does this mean that all cards are silver (new version) or do their exist black (old version) cards ?

So this "symbolic" picture what is this really ?
Why put out an picture that does not reflect the reality ???
If this is only an "symbolic" picture...does this mean that all cards are silver (new version) or do their exist black (old version) cards ?

This is only a symbolic picture, which was done long before the final revision of the card was produced - and reflected the reality at this moment. All RME cards will be delivered now with silver slots - based on european law - as already explained in another thread. There was never a black slot AIO delivered to customers. There is only one revision of the AIO in the moment. All sold cards without the modification will be exchanged by the local dealer/distributor.

best regards
Knut

Alright well thanks for your reply!

I will most likely buy the card from Thomann, do you know if the cards that are being sold there have the modified cards ?
I assume it is most safe to ask them...I have understood that those with green dots have been modified.

And the redesign is it planned to be released in a near future ? or what is the time frame ?
And if it turns out the difference are big, is there any chance to upgrade...?

I need a soundcard asap, so I think I will buy this..
I will upgrade from an POD X3 audio interface which sound like total crap I miss my old PCI card, but my new computer have only PCIe slots,  I am looking forward to get a professional sound interface again.

so, I just took the AIO for a little test for my new Mac-Pro and this is what i found,
I must say, it is not a new revised green sticker card.
when system is at 44,100 digicheck totalyser shows -100dB and around of RMS
when system is at 192,000 digicheck totalyser shows -54dB and around of RMS
no other equipment is connected - only the AIO - no software running at all....

what is this? anybody else has the same experience?

oguzevich wrote:

what is this?

Here's a quote from the manual:

30.6 Noise level in DS / QS Mode
The outstanding signal to noise ratio of the HDSPe AIO's AD-converters can be verified even
without expensive test equipment, by using record level meters of various software. But when
activating the DS and QS mode, the displayed noise level will rise from -109 dB to -104 dB at 96
kHz, and ?60 dB at 192 kHz. This is not a failure. The software measures the noise of the whole
frequency range, at 96 kHz from 0 Hz to 48 kHz (RMS unweighted), at 192 kHz from 0 Hz to 96
kHz.
When limiting the measurement's frequency range to 22 kHz (audio bandpass, weighted) the
value would be -109 dB again. This can be verified even with RME's Windows tool DIGICheck.
Although a dBA weighted value does not include such a strong bandwidth limitation as audio
bandpass does, the displayed value of ?108 dB is nearly identical to the one at 48 kHz.
The reason for this behaviour is the noise shaping technology of the analog to digital converters.
They move all noise and distortion to the in-audible higher frequency range, above 24 kHz.
That?s how they achieve their outstanding performance and sonic clarity. Therefore the noise is
slightly increased in the ultrasound area. High-frequent noise has a high energy. Add the doubled
(quadrupled) bandwidth, and a wideband measurement will show a siginificant drop in
SNR, while the human ear will notice absolutely no change in the audible noise floor.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, i have the same problem. big strange noise continuatly with the card all time and more when you move the mouse and more when you move the scrollbar. the number is 22906802. i work with windows xp 64 and in the hammerfall dsp settings appear 8 WDM Devices, My computer is a I7 920 with Asus p6t deluxe and power antec (Very good), i don?t have any problem with it. I have a loudspeaker Adam A-7 and a headphones k 271 MkII. With RCA i heard the noise and now i have brought the balanced xlr cables and the noise is the same.  in the hdsp Mixer (1) Preset 1 - Default with faders In 1 and In 2 Down, the noise is lower; but in the headphones is the same. What can i do?

Hello,

according to my files, this is an unmodified card. Where did youpurchase it?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME