Re: HDSPe AIO and hiss

Hi Daniel

I bought my card down here in Australia about a month ago - serial 22906630, I have sent in the registration.
I have heard some strange sounds like Juanki and have a similar system although running Vista x64.
Could you please confirm if my card requires modification or not? The dealer has not modified it, I know that much.

Oldon

Thanks for you soon answer.
i Bought this card in SPAIN by internet in a shop call markemid
http://www.makermid.com/

I read all messages and the problem no disappear in modified card. What is the solution?

I have change to the other slot and rme make the same noises. I have problems with the latencia woriking with cubase 5 too.

http://p8.p.pixnet.net/albums/userpics/8/2/1845182/4a2c6ae9a4447.jpg
http://p8.p.pixnet.net/albums/userpics/8/2/1845182/4a2c6aeb42b85.jpg

SR of Digicheck 5.0 are both set to 96k. which means the measurement BW should be the same.
But we can clearly see that 4x clock induces a lot of noise.
And the noise lies partially in the audio BW.

Hi Guys,

just wanna let you know, I got my card back today. My dealer told me it was fixed by RME themselves, so it took a little longer as expected HeadScratch.
Some funny thing is, the hiss is pitched higher now. rotfl
For all who think about sending the card back. I made a sample of the fixed card, so you can hear what you get after the fix.

Fixed

And just for comparison, the unfixed card.

Unfixed

Another cool thing is.. you can't sample the hiss with the AiO now..
Looks like someone filters the input stage and put the hiss away. fryingpan 
Good thing is.. I still have my DIGI 96/PAD... to do the sampling. :-)

Great work RME..I can't tell you how much I like this fix.

Guess I have to live with it. And hell, I can still sell my AiO on ebay.. prolly put a "fixed by RME" sticker on it.

Thx ZYron

Foo, this is really nonsense. You screwed up DC by these illegal settings. At 122 kHz you have to run DC in at least 164 kHz (4x) mode. Then the band filters operate correctly. And - obviously - there is no need to put DC's Analyser into 'audio bandwidth' mode, as that is what you see all the time - in the bands from 20 Hz up to 20 kHz!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

To end this kind of confusing testing (SNR at higher sample rates) we modified DIGICheck's Bit Statistics. It now includes a DC LB measurement, which means Limited Bandwidth, from 20 Hz to 20 kHz. You can try it here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dc_52_pre.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don't mean that the SNR at higher SR is bad.
I was not measuring the output signal.
It was the inputs.
It's also might not be a signal.
I'm using the RCA cable, thus the negative input of XLR is connected to ground.
I think that the ground noise seems to grow a lot at 4X clock mode.

BTW, I have tested the output as well.
The plot is clean and shows no noise at 4X mode.
However, the potential ground noise problem still worries me.
Cause we connect the ground to other equipment most of the time.
Though I don't really need 4X clock mode that much.

I hate to say it, but from a "purist audio design" standpoint, an internal audio card with analog circuits will be inherently susceptible to noise from dirty power.  I mean, the analog circuit is surrounded by tons of super high frequency signals.  The current draw is constantly fluctuating based on processor load.  Voltage is a "generous" 12 volts...

Great power lays the foundation for great audio.  A computer power supply is less than ideal to say the least.  This is the reason that people mod gear to have a separate power supply for analog and digital.  Companies like black lion audio do this with digi002s and crap like that.

What would be the sweetest thing imaginable is for rme to provide a power input jack on a daughter card and supply the analog portion of the card from an external source!  You could even use a battery!  Talk about dead quiet analog...

BM, you are right, but in this case I fear that Foo made a substantial error: testing the card with open input. It should have been shorted equalling the connection to an ideal source without noise. This will improve the measurement greatly and also be more real-world like.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dear MC:

I'll try your suggestion soon.
You're right. I forgot to short the inputs.
Cause it measures no noise at 2X mode.

If RME can make a internal card with PS input, it can be a great card.
Moreover, IMO, an internal card with AT&T modulator and demodulator will be even better.

I dont see what RME continues to back paddle. Just man up. realise the card has serious problems. Get a fix out already or get working on it and people will shut up once they know you are fixing the problem and will replace their card! I got tell you. I loved my 9632, but this whol deal is making me really think of moving to halio or apogee once I save up some money.

Hello Support.

I bought HDSPe AIO from Musiciansfriend.com and it's brand new still in shrink wrap, and there's no green dot.  I haven't opened the package as I'm afraid I can't return if this is old revision.

The serial number of my card is 22906570.

Please let me know if my card is a modified card or not. 

And if this is unmodified, is it possible to exchange this card to a new revision directly from RME ?   Musiciansfriend told me they have 3-4 in stock, and they are all in the same batch.

Thank you

Heelo,

I have a similar problem here. I asked thomann.de to exchange my HDSPe AIOn and I was very specific about the problem, quoted this thread and requested that the new card should have that green dot.

The new card dos not have a green not. Its serial # is 22906548.

Before asking thomann why they did not follow my instructions, I would appreciate if you confirm that this card has the same problem. It does not  appear on my current PC (with XLR connections) but the card will be used in another configuration.

I'm also interested to know if the card could possibly be returned to RME directly.

You both will not get answers before monday as the factory is closed during the weekend.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello MC, no problem here. Thank you.

I'm uping the thread for this question :

bb wrote:

I have a similar problem here. I asked thomann.de to exchange my HDSPe AIOn and I was very specific about the problem, quoted this thread and requested that the new card should have that green dot.

The new card dos not have a green not. Its serial # is 22906548.

Before asking thomann why they did not follow my instructions, I would appreciate if you confirm that this card has the same problem. It does not  appear on my current PC (with XLR connections) but the card will be used in another configuration.

I'm also interested to know if the card could possibly be returned to RME directly.

Thank you.

Today I received my modified AIO and the hiss is gone completely. Even though I think it is not OK in that price range to get a card that has to be fixed by soldering - thanks RME! It works now as it is supposed to and sounds great!

Robert

I send the card with number  22906802 to modificated from Madrid to Makermid and I know Makermid recived the Rme-AIO the day 11 of June (Mark take the card) I know he send the card to modificated but i don?t know anything about the card. Can you tell me something if you recived the card, when you send the card? Thank you

Hi,
Unfortunately online stores are not acknowledging the problem with the boards with the noise issue. After the this news had been reported, I ordered an AIO from a german online store, and received one without the mod, as I expected.
Like the user "bb" as previously posted, I too, send the card back and explained very specifically what was the problem having even quoted this forum topic to the technical staff. OK I got the card back, ANOTHER new, but NOISY card (headphones out).
I'm quite resigned over this matter, but I need to do headphones mix for recordings and when there is silence or the music goes to quiet part it becomes very annoying.

I'm pissed of with this crappy design error that just complicated everyone's life...

What's the card's serial number?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Mine is #22906342

125 (edited by persentio 2009-07-14 09:17:31)

Hey guys,

I managed to somewhat reduce the AIO hiss (my card IS modified but still had it apparently) by disabling hardware acceleration of the Display driver. Apparently anything graphics-related was causing most of the hiss. Note that these aren't sure-fire cures. For anyone interested to try, heres how:

For Windows XP: "Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Display > Settings > Advanced > Troubleshoot"
For Windows Vista: "Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Personalization > Display Settings > Advanced Settings > Troubleshoot"

Look for Hardware Acceleration. Move the slider to anywhere below Full; None provides the most noise reduction. Uncheck 'Enable Write Combining' as well.

NOTE: This WILL screw up certain video players as well as games. If you find that your system becomes unstable or you do need the Hardware Acceleration for your applications to run properly, change it back to Full Acceleration.

//////

You can also adjust Visual Settings within Windows for Best Performance. Most of the settings won't do anything at all; but certain ones might lessen the hiss somewhat:

"My Computer > System Properties / View System Information > Advanced Tab > Performance" (XP)
"Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Performance" (Vista)

Click on the Settings button and go to the Visual Effects tab. Select 'Adjust for best performance' and Apply. Disabling 'Enable Desktop Composition' under Windows Vista had the most significant improvement to the hiss for my system. At first, I thought the hiss was gone but after going back to my computer today I noticed there still was a teeny bit of hiss; but barely audible and hence not disrupting compared to before these optimizations.

126 (edited by Scaniris 2009-09-03 12:38:22)

Hello,

I bought a HSDPe AIO card from Thomann.de and received it yesterday. As explained there http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6262 I have the same problem..... I just called Thomann's after sales support and they will come back to me today. I talked about this known issue, about the green labelled cards with mods ... but she was not aware about that.... I hope they'll provide me a solution...

Another question: is there any know issue on the HSDP 9632 PCI card? Or are all PCI and PCIe cards coming with this problem....?

Serial number of my card is: 22922344

127 (edited by Scaniris 2009-09-03 17:50:08)

Thomann seems not to be aware about this problem. :-O People I was talking with today were not informed about that !!

I don't understand HOW it is possible that since months, nothing happened with a RME's partner like Thomann to fix this issue. This is not Thomann's responsibility from my point of view, but RME may have to plan a return programm with a clear and official process for customers and distributors/resselers! And I think about a proactive programme, not a curative one.

RME has a good reputation and that's why I don't understand how this situation is possible. Problem may happen, I can understand that. What I do not understand is lack of communication and action. If I had learned some days before that there was some issues with the AIO card, I had certainly ordered something else. Now I'll loose some time to fix it and I'm not happy with it. I hope that you'll take some actions in the near future to modify all existing cards, and that you'll make sure that AIO cards available by RME's certified resselers are reliable and compliant with specs and quality customer's are waiting for when having a look on the technical datasheets.

FYI: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/view … t=29920193

Regards.

PS: I'll order a 9632 to replace the AIO. I hope not having the same problem. If it could happen, please don't hesitate to let me know....before cool

Hello,

I recently exhanged my unmodified AIO (I haven't unboxed it) for manually modified by my dealer. Serial number is 22906344.
Plugged it into Mac Pro and there are some problems.

Comparing to my good old Echo Mia in nearby PC:
1. Balanced inputs: AIO is perfect. Not tested unbalanced inputs.
2. Phones outputs: AIO is awful. There is quite loud hiss which correlates to current CPU (and may be GPU) activity and have very annoying character. It is really hard to have monitoring through phones with this sound.
3. Balanced outputs: similar situation, but this unpleasant hiss is much quieter and audible only then no sound is playing. I can live with it, but 8 years old $200 Mia is much better, it almost deadly silence, and the only hiss you can hear bringing ear close up to the tweeter is very quiet white noise (not correlating to CPU activity).
4. Unbalanced outputs: the same as 3, but hiss is a bit louder.

RME, may be this design fault can't be fixed by just soldering 2 wires? Why you don't want to global recall of all first series AIO?

Hi,

same here. Support told me that my AIO is already a modified one (bought it 6 days ago). Hiss and Noise is present through phones and line out.

On my own PC, an unmodified AIO is totally silent at the phones output... This is just to show that not only the card may be a factor here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am running a PCI 9632 which seems to have this problem.  I think it has only started recently although I have had the card for about 3 years.  It seems to be grounding related.  Is there a recomended grounding solution for these cards?  I am also using a 4 channel output expansion card so there are multiple unbalanced outputs connected to my amp.  Any advice appreciated.

Nick.

There is no such issue with the 9632. If there are problems, this site may help.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel,

I assure you that there IS an issue.  The symptoms are exactly as described by others for the AIO card - high pitched noise mixed with digital crackling related to PC activity - disc, mouse etc.  This is not a mains noise problem as described in the referenced link you included.  The reason I mention grounding is that if I increase the earth bonding between PC and amp, the noise increases.

Nick.

RME Support wrote:

On my own PC, an unmodified AIO is totally silent at the phones output... This is just to show that not only the card may be a factor here.

Of course. But how many threads you saw about similar problems with other cards? There are plenty messages with AIO problems description. And where are messages about i. e. kindred 9632? (except recent one, but it is unique yet, not mass).
So statistically it is a problem that is worth to consider.

P. S. And the crappish built-in soundcard on the same mac pro has not any hiss at the phones or linear outputs.

nickf wrote:

I assure you that there IS an issue.

Sure, but not the one of the AIO. The 9632 can only suffer from ground loops, and Daniel's link has been correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just have done another testing.

As I said, I have manually modified AIO. On my Mac Pro (2009, 8x2.26) there are massive hiss and noise at phones output and some hiss at analog outputs. Tryed another PCIe slots - no good results.

There is also my old PC located near Mac Pro and plugged to the same electric and ground circuits.
Plugged AIO into PC - and all phones noise dissapeared. And AIO sounds gorgeous. This is the sound that I searched for my Mac Pro.

So it seems new Mac Pros have some issues with power supply or grounding or something else.

Have you tested AIO with new Mac Pros?

Can you advice me what to do?

So, RME, have you tested new 8-core Mac Pro with first series AIO? Do you have any recommendations to owners of such hardware?

It was really nonsense for me to by $4k workstation and $800 audio interface and to obtain a system that hiss in phones like cheap integrated audiocards! Very frustrating.

FYI:

On the same PC I changed my AIO with a 9632. With symetric output cables. NO issue with the 9632 on the SAME PC! Nothing changed except the card. And background noise disapeared (same headphone, same speakers....). I also tried a Lynx L22. Absolutely NO issue with this card on the same PC same config.

On top of that, juste know that people I was talking with by Thomann were not aware about this issue! That's why I preffered to change the AIO with a 9632... this may be useful to contact Thomann in Germany and give them information about that.

Regards.

139 (edited by sullyvan 2010-07-02 20:39:08)

MC wrote:
nickf wrote:

I assure you that there IS an issue.

Sure, but not the one of the AIO. The 9632 can only suffer from ground loops, and Daniel's link has been correct.

Hi RME team,

I have a 9632 PCI version working well.
I bought the extension board AO4S-192 AIO and when I connect it to my 9632 I got the noise/hiss/buzz (mouse move, video decoding).
When the 9632 card is alone, I haven't trouble.
Does AO4S-192 AIO have issue like the HDSPe AIO ?
Is there a different electric implementation with the version no-AIO (I mean the one only compatible with 9632 ?)
BR

Sully

After more tests, I can tell that the noise depends on the video card activity. I have it also when only the HDSP 9632 card is used. In that case, the noise is lower and not noticeable when playing video. The noise becomes audible as soon as I plugged the flat ribbon cable in the HDSP 9632 card. It seems to act as an antenna. Connecting the flat ribbon cable to the AO4S does not change the noise level.
I will test with another video card (still Sapphire with heat pipe but an ATI 5550 instead of a 4670 one), and if not change, video card from another company (such HIS), and, if I have enough courage, an other motherboard. I read that user complains about Gigabyte motherboard, and that's mine. ( a P45-DS4)
BR
Sully

141 (edited by sullyvan 2010-07-22 09:37:02)

Hi again,

I tested an ASUS MB instead of the Gigabyte. No Change.
I tested a new PSU. No Change.
I finally changed my Sapphire 4670 video card by a HIS 5670 IceQ. And the noise is gone. I tested also with a Sapphire 5550 : noise was lower but still noticeable for my bionic ears tongue .
Hope it can help other members that face this issue which have many causes.

142 (edited by blinkfrog 2010-08-04 08:57:23)

sullyvan wrote:

Hi again,
I finally changed my Sapphire 4670 video card by a HIS 5670 IceQ. And the noise is gone. I tested also with a Sapphire 5550 : noise was lower but still noticeable for my bionic ears tongue .

My modified-by-dealer AIO makes hiss even with videocard taken out from my Mac Pro.

143 (edited by stanft 2010-08-27 14:16:36)

I have also problems with hiss through the headphones output. It definitely has to do with the video card because the hiss usually appears if a window is opened/closed/moved etc. I have already changed the PCI-E slot but this has not resolved the issue.

My card is brandnew (rev. 1.4), ordered from Thomann. Does this revision of the card have to be modified or does revision 1.5 already have the modification? My serial number is 23063991.

Regards,
Stephan

144 (edited by Matt Faullkner 2010-08-26 07:45:18)

It would be very helpful of users with problems to always let us know what video card and motherboard they are using if this is mainly a problem relating to those specific pieces of hardware. That way we could compile a list of affected HW that we could avoid.

AFFECTED VIDEO CARDS:
Sapphire RADEON HD 4670 (MB unknown)
Sapphire RADEON HD 5550 (MB unknown)
MSI NX8800GT Zilent (w. Asus P5K-E)
NVIDIA GT120 (w. MacPro 2009)

AFFECTED MOTHERBOARDS:
Asus P5K-E WIFI AP (Intel P35)
Apple Mac Pro 2009 (8-core)
Apple Mac Pro 2008 (4-core)

This might ofcourse be a problem that has to do with the combination of MB + Vidcard so I'll add the MB model in question after the vidcard in ( ).

Matt Faullkner wrote:

So far no problems with NVIDIA cards?

I have installed...

Mainboard: ASUS P5K-E WIFI AP (Intel P35 chipset)
Videocard: MSI NX8800GT Zilent (NVidia Geforce 8800 GT)

I have problems with hiss through the headphones as well as through the main outputs.

Regards,
Stephan

Matt Faullkner wrote:

AFFECTED VIDEO CARDS:
Some Mac Pro Systems with ATI Video Cards

I have 2009 Mac Pro 8x2.26 with nVidia GT120 videocard. I have a noises and hisses at my AIO.

Hello,

I have the same problem with my card 9632 (unbalanced) click noise in the headphone jack and analog RCA, my problem is how to do since I buy this card hand and the owner does not say anything about my problem !
for information, I live in France, Le Mans!

you have a solution that I managed to solve this problem in France? phone number of a dealer or not I know?

thank you for responding

Cordially

I apologize for spelling

148 (edited by Rondio 2010-08-26 07:21:42)

Hello!
I have the same problem with my modified-by-dealer AIO(22906315/macpro 2008 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.8)

Hello everyone!

I bought the AIO 2nd hand, to use it in my Mac Pro 2008 8 core(10.6.4).

The card is dead-quet at the headphones and at the main monitors(connected with AES in full digital environment). However, sometimes I can hear crackles when I play iTunes and other audio apps through it. Seems something related to the buffer or similar.

Cheers,

- Matteo

Hi All,

I do have a (same) problem with my HDSP9632 ? continuous background noise on analog RCA?s, clicks&pops when read/write from/on HDD, whistles when moving mouse, buzz on pop-up menus/refresh...the whole thing. I have bought this card as second-hand (ebay UK) a few months ago but because I was using it (playback only) in a crappy PC I could live with that. Few days ago I?ve bought a new motherboard (ASUS ATOM D510 AT5NM10-I), a 64GB SSD (Kingston) and a new case (Silverstone LC19-R) which has got a 120W fanless/external brick PSU. I was thinking that all those funny noises will disappear ? no more moving parts now! No chance! The only noise I?ve got rid of was the HDD one... Does anyone know if there are some specific settings/drivers I should use (Win7) to solve at least partially these issues? Are these hardware or software related? Will be Linux a better bet? To be honest I?m not quite ready to spend ??? on main filters, cables?you know, I just want to enjoy the music.

Thanks & Regards,
Axell.