151 (edited by alienimplant 2010-02-01 01:29:43)

Re: Mac OS X Test driver 2.65 for FF 400/800

Disabling DVCPROHDAudio.plugin has eliminated mysterious crashes for me that occur during production. This turned out to be unrelated to the FF start-up crashes. Now I don't have crashes in Logic ever once I successfully get through the start up issues with the FF. But the RME boot/sleep/whatever problem is persistent.

are the latest problems only related to the FF400 ?

I keep having issues with the hardware knob on the FF400 no longer controlling volume of the assigned output unless I reboot after connecting the MBP (usually connect it when sleeping).  The software mixer works fine still and I see the hardware display show the correct volume levels, but until I reboot the hardware control is ignored.

Tarekith
http://tarekith.com

Forgive me, I am new to this forum. But, if I may ask the RME support people if they use the Apple Firewire Mailing List to ask Apple about the driver issues with the FF400/800?
It is located at http://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/firewire. Apparently, from a developer friend of mine, Eric Anderson, the Apple Firewire Software Engineer, monitors this Mailing List. They may be able to help RME with this issue. Just trying to help fix this problem. I am patiently waiting to buy a new FF800. Thanks, zoomnpa

We don't use mailing lists, we talk to Apple directly. Unfortunately they were not able to reproduce the problem, much similar to Timur and ourselves. That's why it takes so long to find the real culprit and fix it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Tarekith wrote:

I keep having issues with the hardware knob on the FF400 no longer controlling volume of the assigned output unless I reboot after connecting the MBP (usually connect it when sleeping).  The software mixer works fine still and I see the hardware display show the correct volume levels, but until I reboot the hardware control is ignored.

Hey Tare,

try loading Preset 1 on Totalmix and flash that to the Fireface. I had it once that the controls/flash settings got confused if I remember right (been quite some time ago so my memory may fail me).

This weekend I'm gonna fetch a a new Imac 21.5" again (which I had one Kernel Panic with before) and will do some test with it.

Here is possible solutions how to resolve or at last stop drooping off connection between you mac pro and Fireface 400.Problem is here that when you plying sound true iTune or from Logic or you waking up mac from sleep mode that then connection is drooping off.

Since RME and Apple are useless and are not able solve this problem since Apple release OSX 10.6 in October last year.... hello is 6 months now since ....

So Ive try this one and is working so fare for me on OSX 10.6.2.

Uninstall all RME drivers from your mac
Restart your computer
Empty your thrash
Turn off your computer
Unplug all your cables from Mac for 10 min ,that will reset your mac
Turn you mac on
Now install old driver  2.62a ... NO NEW ONE ! New one is rubbish and is causing that drooping off connection
After installing restart commuter
Update with flash up date tool
Restart RME
Job done it should work

...If is not working return unit to RME and ask for refund ,if they cant fix the problem after 6 month they should not sale this product !

Mark wrote:

Here is possible solutions how to resolve or at last stop drooping off connection between you mac pro and Fireface 400.Problem is here that when you plying sound true iTune or from Logic or you waking up mac from sleep mode that then connection is drooping off.

Since RME and Apple are useless and are not able solve this problem since Apple release OSX 10.6 in October last year.... hello is 6 months now since ....

So Ive try this one and is working so fare for me on OSX 10.6.2.

Uninstall all RME drivers from your mac
Restart your computer
Empty your thrash
Turn off your computer
Unplug all your cables from Mac for 10 min ,that will reset your mac
Turn you mac on
Now install old driver  2.62a ... NO NEW ONE ! New one is rubbish and is causing that drooping off connection
After installing restart commuter
Update with flash up date tool
Restart RME
Job done it should work

...If is not working return unit to RME and ask for refund ,if they cant fix the problem after 6 month they should not sale this product !

It does not worked for me...

FF400 Bus powered|MacPro 2008-2,8x8core-16Gb ram|Mountain Lion 10.8.4

I can honestly say I have never seen any of these problems. I'm on a Mac Pro early 2007 with SL 10.6.2 with 12GB of RAM. I own the FF800 and have it connected to the rear FW800 port. I know that's not very helpful but just wanted to share my experience. Cheers.

*MacBookProEarly2011*13" Core i7*OSX 10.7.2 *Logic 9.1.6* 4GB RAM *FF800(3.06 / 2.77)*

But I do have these problems with a FF400 on a MacPro Early 2008.
May be is a MacPro 2008/FF400 related problem...

P.

Has anybody who has the issues an other brand Firewire audio interface (and which)? Are there also occurring problems with the other one?

Hi,

I'm running a Mac Pro dual core 2.66 10.5.8 with a FF800 2.62a driver and i can boot the mac and even boot cubase 5.1 then turn on the FF800 and choose the FF800 ASIO without any issue. However when i was running 10.4.x and Cubase 4.5.1 forget about it!!!! If i forgot to switch the FF800 on first and booted any audio app, every time would freeze the mac and require a hard reboot! Or if i realised in time my colossal mistake, i'd not launch any audio app and just restart the mac with the FF800 still on. But as i say, currently i don't have too worry as it doesn't matter what order i startup.

Not sure if this helps......

Thanks

SkM

164 (edited by mattrixx 2010-02-08 06:14:05)

ye wrote:

Has anybody who has the issues an other brand Firewire audio interface (and which)? Are there also occurring problems with the other one?

Yes... on my MacPro (with FF800) I also have a Digi 003R, that when I turn it on or off, it will reset the firewire audio devices and then the whole FF800 lockup situation occurs.
It seem to be happening when the firewire bus is reset..... the audio devices reload their respective drivers and that's when it all goes pear shaped.

I personally am not having an issue with it, now that I have some sort of idea what's going on. So I can work around it.

(I may have mis-interpreted the question. I answered in the light of, "does it affect the operation of my FireFace800?")

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

(I may have mis-interpreted the question. I answered in the light of, "does it affect the operation of my FireFace800?")

No, I thought about if other FW-audio interfaces also lead to problems with the stability of the Mac system.  So only the other FW interface in use, no FF800 connected.

My Fireface800 is always connected but when I turn on the Digi003R, it resets the Freface800 driver, which sometimes results in the full lock that people have spoken about.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

ye wrote:

Having an issue with the Lexicon PCM 96 (not really an Audio Interface). Their plugin utility, which should run via FW is not working at all until now with Snow Leopard. They realized the issue early October, since then no news.

168 (edited by NV 2010-02-08 23:54:26)

Hi I'm new.

I've been having this Kernel panic issue with Driver version 2.65, Mac OS 10.6.2, and Ableton Live 8.1

Another issue i've been having is that my FF 800 interferes with my macbook pro's Airport (WiFi).  Whenever the FF 800 is connected and activated, the Airport simply does not work.  I have downloaded all OS, and firmware updates, rebooted countless times, and it still continues to happen. This is a new issue, that I had not encountered with the previous Fireface driver.  No other Firewire devices are creating this issue. Only the FF 800.

Just wanted to announce this second issue, in case anyone else is going through the same. 

Here are my specs:
Late 2009 Unibody Macbook Pro: 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD. 
Fireface 800 connected through FW800 port. 
Ableton Live 8.1, Logic Studio 9.

Those who have problems with the 2.65 driver, please check whether the Settings Dialog's About tab says "Kernel-Driver v2.65". Else, please uninstall and reinstall.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Those who have problems with the 2.65 driver, please check whether the Settings Dialog's About tab says "Kernel-Driver v2.65". Else, please uninstall and reinstall.

For me the v2.65 kernel driver is installed, and just yesterday apparently core-audio froze (100% CPU on one core with doing noting and preventing normal restart or shut down ... had to do it the hard way).

171 (edited by quattroquarti 2010-02-09 19:24:25)

ye wrote:

For me the v2.65 kernel driver is installed, and just yesterday apparently core-audio froze (100% CPU on one core with doing noting and preventing normal restart or shut down ... had to do it the hard way).

The same is here...
sad

hey, here the driver works perfect, iMac C2D 2,66Ghz but when i turn off the FF400 and i reconnect the driver doesn't load correctly and the computer starts freezing... i'm using snow leopard, with leopard i worked like a charm but with this new OS i have to switch on the FF400 before i start my computer...

this last week i reinstalled all my mac from 0 because i had to clean up my hard drive, i reinstalled everything from 0 and the same happens with FF400, anyone know how to fix this? i very annoying to have to shut down computer each time that i have to connect FF400 to another computer.

thanks!

Same here.

Completely removed the driver and reinstalled 2.65.

Still getting freezes, when powering on FF 400 after Snow Leopard 10.6.2 has woken up from sleep mode and trying to access any program using Core Audio (Logic 9.1, Itunes, Quicktime, VLC ...)

Almost lost my confidence, that there will be a working driver (after 5 months). Maybe 10.6.3 will make a change!?

Frymic

174 (edited by S-E Hansson 2010-02-10 12:00:29)

Hi,

Does it help to unload FF Setting and FF Mixer dialogs by right clicking in the Dock
then put your Mac to sleep, turn off your Fireface and then pull the firewire cable !?

I have been doing this with my MBP (early 2008) and FF800 and no problem !
FF800 driver 2.65 and fut 2.77 with OSX 10.6.2 and BootCamp/Windows 7 driver 2.9992

regards S-EH

Timur wrote:
Tarekith wrote:

Hey Tare,

try loading Preset 1 on Totalmix and flash that to the Fireface. I had it once that the controls/flash settings got confused if I remember right (been quite some time ago so my memory may fail me).

No luck unfortunately, had a this problem a few times since getting your suggestion and only multiple reboots seems to fix it.

Tarekith
http://tarekith.com

176 (edited by Timur 2010-02-15 02:22:26)

Did you already make sure that the knob is working correctly? I mean to remember that you were one of those experiencing the "stuck knob" phenomen?

Also try making the FF *not* the output for system sounds and vice versa (aka make it). Does that change anything?

Last but not least: Does the knob/hardware control work properly in stand-alone mode (disconnected from the computer)?

177 (edited by davidwright 2010-02-15 14:54:46)

This is my first post on the problem of FF400 not working in Snow Leopard. I'm using a Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon with 10GB RAM, 10.6.2 SL and Logic Pro 9.02.

What I can say with certainty is that there is a conflict between the RME FF400 and "something" on my system. I had no problems with 2.62 and Leopard. All my issues started when I upgraded to snow leopard and installed the new RME 2.65 drivers.

The problem was that the continual system crashes that occurred meant I was unable to isolate the root cause despite going through all the logical steps suggested on apple and RME forums, because my drive and system became so messed up as a result - so I didn't even realize it was the RME400 driver causing the problem until last weekend.

This was after I took my Mac Pro to my Mac dealer and they repaired the problems on the (new) drive caused by all the crashes, confirmed the drive and memory were all okay, and effectively gave the Mac Pro a clean bill of health. They had no crashes or problems while the Mac Pro was on test!

Back in my studio over the weekend, the computer behaved perfectly UNTIL I plugged in the RME400 again, then the problems began, complete system crashes. So, I un-installed all the RME400 drivers and reinstalled 2.65 drivers and latest firmware again but the problems persisted. In fact, the problem is now worse because Logic will not open at all!

Usually the crashes and problems only occurred when coming out of sleep mode, but this has progressed to happening even after a cold start. I've tried starting up RME400 first and second, it makes no difference.

So, I have just installed the 2.62a drivers and everything is working fine, indicating that the problem is with the 2.65 drivers.

I'm going to see if the problems start again tomorrow morning after waking from sleep mode, and I'll post what happens.

I sent a crash report from a crash a few weeks ago to my mac dealer tech guys. They confirm that its the RME400 conflicting with 'something' but can't ascertain what. They're still looking at the report.

Happy to post the crash report here if it could be of use?

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Quad 32GB Ram

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

ooo .. in a hospital again smile this is the feeling i got from forums..ok...maybe we can be cured smile

after reading the whole story i just want to put some stones in it ..

my expirence on SL10.6.2 2x2.26 2009 mac pro 4.1 is like that ::

i cant disconnect the FF400 without getting into system hangs ...when i try to turn off and on again i get kernal panics..
if i disconnect the device while audio apps are runnig there is no automatic switch to the onboard device (like it used to) but full system hang (this is i thing the apple issue) ..hm..

sometimes the volume control via apple keys doesnt work (mostly after sleep)>> have to switch the system audio device off and on again

so ...actually im lucky anyway ...

MAC PRO 4.1 2.26x8 11GB / MACBOOK PRO 15" 3.1 / FF400 2.72 / SL 10.6.4

this is the second part ....after lot of restarts and tries to get it to work ..

so ...on my system is is it not possible to connect the FF400 while system is running ...the only way to get audio, is to boot with the device connected ...i tested it on MBP 15" 2007/8?? and on my MAC PRO 2009 ...i get on both systems (10.6.2) (firmware 1.70 / drv 2.65) this same behavior >> total system freeze << ....as far i remember on 2.64/a i got kernal panics  ..this is different and an improovment:) eee smile 

thx in advance ....

MAC PRO 4.1 2.26x8 11GB / MACBOOK PRO 15" 3.1 / FF400 2.72 / SL 10.6.4

Well, after a day of working fine, everything went - up this morning and the system crashed AGAIN as soon as the RME was powered up. It does seem clear to me that as has been suggested in this topic by RME, it's best NOT to let your MAC go into sleep mode, because starting up the MAC and RME in whatever configuration from sleep mode causes kernal panic and system hang and crash. Clearly either the RME driver is faulty or it's conflicting with something in OSX Snow Leopard. That it appears to happen when coming out of sleep mode I would have thought would help get to the root cause, but obviously not.

I reinstalled the new 2.65 drivers this morning, ensuring I removed everything RME beforehand as instructed and I'm going to follow the advise of only having the RME powered by firewire. I'll probably have one more attempt at starting from sleep mode to see if theres any difference, but wouldn't hold your breath.

I also removed a potential conflict, another unused firewire driver.

oh joy........

I DO HAVE A CRASH REPORT FROM THIS MORNING THAT INDICATES THE RME TO BE THE CULPRIT - HAPPY TO SEND IT TO RME IF IT'S OF USE - PLEASE ADVISE..............

An interesting observation this morning regarding an RME400 file that seemed to "reappear" after deletion:- /Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceAgent.plist. After my previous post I had all sorts of problems with kernel panics that froze up my system again, eventually even with the RME400 disconnected. The thing is, I went through the uninstall process meticulously and removed all the relevant files, including <Library/LaunchAgents/de.rm-eaudio.firefaceAgent.plist> and yet, this morning as everything again froze up, I noticed on my activity monitor the firefaceAgent.plist was there again and as soon as I deleted the file everything was fine. So I switched off, then followed the procedure of switching on the RME400 first (in powered mode) and leaving it for a few seconds before switching on the Mac Pro and everything works fine, no kernel panics, no problems, everything hunkydory! I also noticed that the RME mixer and settings didn't automatically come on in the dock, I had to start them myself. That's the first time that has happened since using the RME400 in Snow Leopard.

So, have other users who are experiencing these crash problems checked to ensure the file Library/LaunchAgents/de.rm-eaudio.firefaceAgent.plist (along with the other files RME tell us to remove) has been removed, or hasn't re-appeared?

Do other users find that the mixer and settings boxes appear automatically in their dock because to me, this looks like a sign that things aren't right and you're gonna have a kernel panic sooner or later.

Feeback anyone?

davidwright wrote:

Do other users find that the mixer and settings boxes appear automatically in their dock because to me, this looks like a sign that things aren't right and you're gonna have a kernel panic sooner or later.

Feeback anyone?

I'm running OS 10.6.2 on a late 2006 24" iMac, connected to my Fireface 800 via Firewire 800, currently using the 2.65 drivers.  I'm one of the people having no problems, although the only way I can get my computer to recognize the interface is to turn it on after I have booted up the computer.  When I do that, then the Fireface Settings and TotalMix applications launch automatically.  I have tried changing the System Preferences for sound so that all sounds and alerts play through the internal speakers, but the Fireface, upon activation, still causes the Fireface applications to launch.  I always thought that the Fireface apps starting up was normal behaviour.

I can quit the apps, and then power off the Fireface without incident, and I can then power up the Fireface once again, which causes the Apps to launch all over, but there is no problem with crashes or freezes.

I do most of my audio work with a Windows program (Pyramix) which I run on a Boot Camp partition on both my iMac and my late 2007 MacBook Pro, so I have little experience running the Fireface under Mac OS 10.6, other than to test it for playback reliability.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

183 (edited by quattroquarti 2010-02-17 22:30:47)

fl wrote:

I can quit the apps, and then power off the Fireface without incident, and I can then power up the Fireface once again, which causes the Apps to launch all over, but there is no problem with crashes or freezes.

Can you try this?

1. Power on your Mac
2. Launch iTunes and play your music for any time (one or two minutes...) from Mac audio output
3. Stop music from iTunes
4. Power on Fireface
5. When Fireface apps starting up, you set Mac audio output to Fireface
6. Now you play again your music from iTune.

Is it all right or do apparently core-audio froze (100% CPU on one core with doing noting and preventing normal restart or shut down)?

Sorry for my bad english languadge!
:-)

Thanks. The problem with the problem is the everyone's problems appears to be slightly different. All I know is, until now the Fireface apps opened automatically, and what followed was kernel panic followed by a system crash. Now they don't open automatically and I'm not having any problems at all (so far anyway). The key point for me is the <Library/LaunchAgents/de.rm-eaudio.firefaceAgent.plist> file that mysteriously reappeared several times and clearly was causing my entire system to hang, presumably because it was over-riding everything in its attempt to communicate with the RME driver. I'm keeping a watchful eye on the launch agents folder to see if the file reappears again in an effort to identify the specific action that causes the RME to generate the p.list file.

My computer has never had a problem identifying the driver, and use of the RME400 is flawless and without problem aside from the crash issues discussed. I run Logic Pro 9 and masses of soft synths including Omnispheres, Trillion Arturia etc etc and all that is running absolutely fine and I do vocal and guitar recording through the RME without problem.

'Something' has caused the kernel panics and crashes ever since I installed Snow Leopard and initially I was blaming Snow Leopard for all my problems, because so many applications were crashing, whereas now I'm pretty sure it's the RME drivers and specifically the p.list file that have been the culprit.

I'll keep posting over the next few days with how things are going....................

Start up from cold again today and everything running smoothly and without incident. Fireface apps didn't appear automatically, which is fine, and this is the first time since December 2009 when I did my second complete install of Snow Leopard and my entire working system that I've had two consecutive days of working without problems. I'm going to follow the same procedure for the rest of the week and assuming things remain stable, I'm then going to try to repeat the process but out of sleep mode to see what happens.

But to clarify my thoughts: uninstall the RME drivers and manually remove :

/Applications/Fireface Mixer
/Applications/Fireface Settings
/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/Fireface MIDI.plugin
/System/Library/Extensions/FirefaceAudioDriver.kext
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Fireface folder
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.rme.FirefaceMixer.plist
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.rme.FirefaceSettings.plist

When using the new Snow Leopard driver also delete:
/Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceAgent.plist

Reinstall the 2.65 driver and firmware and ensure that the /Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceAgent.plist has indeed gone and hasn't reappeared. It shouldn't be there, that's the bottom line because if it is, it automatically opens the fireware apps and puts them in the dock and will cause the system to hang/freeze and eventually crash. You need to keep your eye on this file because I think it can "reappear".

Turn your RME on first and give it 20/30 seconds before you power up your computer.

This is now working for me, and like I said, I'm going to experiment over the next few days with quicker turn on of computer after RME and using out of sleep mode.

Will post results.

www.davidwrightmusic.com

Bello David,
have you done this?

Can you try this?

1. Power on your Mac
2. Launch iTunes and play your music for any time (one or two minutes...) from Mac audio output
4. Power on Fireface

Is it all right or do apparently core-audio froze (100% CPU on one core with doing noting and preventing normal restart or shut down)?

Sorry for my bad english languadge!

I will try this later today and answer you. But..............why do you power on Fireface after the Mac, you should power on Fireface first!

Also, if you're on Snow Leopard, have you checked to ensure that the  /Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceAgent.plist file has been removed and trashed?

www.davidwrightmusic.com

quattroquarti wrote:

Can you try this?

1. Power on your Mac
4. Power on Fireface

I performed steps 1 - 6 outlined above, with no problems at all.  I even went back to the internal speakers after switching the System Preference: Sound back to outputting to the internal speakers, quitting the Fireface apps, and switching off the Fireface.  Playback continues.

To answer the other poster - if I start up my Fireface BEFORE booting the computer, the computer won't find it - the red light on the Fireface stays on, and the Fireface apps don't launch.  If I start the Fireface AFTER the computer is up and running, everything runs fine.

So, perhaps the conflict comes with some of the other audio apps that a person might have installed on their computer.  As I mentioned before, I do most of my audio work on my Boot Camp/Windows partition, so I don't have as much installed on my machine as many users, but I do have the following installed, but not running:

Pro Tools LE 8
Quick Time 7 and Pro (with Flip4Mac)
Windows Media Player
Real Player
Frontrow
Garageband
Izotope RX
Wave Editor (Audiofile Engineering)
Jam 6
LameBrain encoder
Max (not Max DSP, but the file format converter)
Toast Titanium 8
Audacity 1.2.5
Peak 4
iDVD
iMovie
iTunes
Radio GaGa
Audion 3
Audio Highjack Pro
Apple DVD player
VLC

Like I said, I don't usually run these, but they are all installed and ready to go, so none of these installations create a conflict with the RME drivers, suggesting that the problems people are having must come from a conflict that exists elsewhere.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

At least, that's the case on my system.....

Frank Lockwood

RME Support wrote:

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The same here.
MBP 17/2.5GHZ/10.6.2 + FF800 driver:2.65, firmware:2.47

Still no solution? It lasts too long. What should we do? Metric Halo? MOTU? NO! I WANT MY FF800 BACK TO WORK AT LAST!

RobR

To answer quattroquarti:I performed tasks 1-6 as you asked and it works fine, no problems at all. Played about switching from one to the other without any issues.

This also answered another question for me; I can now start my RME400 before OR after I power up my Mac and it works fine! RME and Mac sync up in seconds.

To answer MADI hero: I agree entirely, there is (or in my case, was) a conflict, but with what? I've spent a lot of time on this past two weeks attempting to find a common link to the problems that I have experienced, going through things logically. The only thing that I can say with certainty is that after 2 months of crashes and problems I don't think it's easy to isolate the core problems because the drive gets messed up, so I took my Mac Pro to a Mac dealer and got the drives and memory sorted out, and confirmed as okay. Then I removed all traces of the RME400 drivers and reinstalled. I had the issue with the "reappearing p.list file, which I believe to be significant in all this, but from then on, three days now, no problems at all from a cold start. And I can now add to that, whether RME400 powered on before or after the Mac.

One other significant piece of information: I removed an Alesis16 audio driver from my system last week. At the time it had no effect, but maybe later after I reinstalled the RME drivers.............? 

The only thing left for me to check is if it still works okay waking from sleep mode, which I think I'm going to try tomorrow morning. I will of course post result!!

To RobR: I feel your frustration! The only thing I can suggest based on my experience (and without knowing your set up) is to uninstall the RME drivers AND ALL THE RME FILES as already discussed, reinstall and see what happens. Also, if you've has serious crashes for a while, like I did, then it's probably worth you checking that the drive and layers etc are okay and that your RAM is okay. At least is you start from a point of knowing that the drive etc is okay, you can rule that out as a problem.

Also, check that you haven't got any other audio drivers on your system and if you have, move them to your desktop in case the RME is conflicting with it. Good luck!!

RobR - sorry, this might sound a daft question, but when you ran the 2.65 firmware updater, did you switch the RME off as it requests to complete the install.......?

David, the plist is just a text file that informs the Mac OS to start the Settings and Mixer app when the Mac OS has detected and installed the FW functionality of the FF. You will notice that after plugging in the unit it takes about four seconds until the red host light switches off, at the same time the applications launch into the dock. To disable the launch agent you simply move this file to any other place. You can enable the function later by moving it back. It will also be reinstalled by a driver install.

We took your idea and examined the agent mechanism, by also fooling around with the start of the applications. None of this would ever cause a problem or hang or shut down.

It seems that you had an isolated problem on your machine, while everyone else here fights with a different (standby/sleep related) problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC, I understand what you're saying, but it does seem odd to me that for over two months I've been battling Kernel panics and system crashes and blaming Snow Leopard, only to isolate the culprit as being the RME400 - either directly or indirectly - I understand it could well be conflicting with something else. After checking that my system, drives and memory were okay through a Mac dealer, I ran my computer for several days without any problems at all, without the RME400 connected. But as soon as I did power the RME400 on, all the kernel panics, hanging applications and crashes started up again. I tried the previous driver - that didn't work, so I reinstalled 2.65 and that was again a problem UNTIL I removed the p.list file (which had reappeared after already removing it) and immediately everything was fine.

My interpretation of your instructions posted elsewhere on the rme forum is to remove the p.list file if working in Snow Leopard, suggesting that the file shouldn't be there at all?

What I know is that I was experiencing very similar problems to many other users on this forum and suddenly, after reinstalling the 2.65 again and ensuring the p.list file is deleted, I'm not having these issues anymore, no more kernel panics or hanging apps, nothing!

It's seems that the very act of searching for the RME400 driver is causing the Macs kernel panics, and to hang and freeze. So removing that option (the p.list file) stops the problems, or at least it did for me.

I also made the point that all my problems were originally stand by/sleep related. But this problem has gone on for so long now and music pays my mortgage, so I HAVE to sort it out or buy another driver that works (hence having the Alesis16 driver installed!). I've attempted to take a logical approach, one problem at a time, to get the RME400 to work consistently from cold without issue, which it now does.............

Just to clarify, whether I switch on my RME400 before or after the Mac (and my preference based on experience is before), the red light does indeed go off after 3 or seconds but the apps don't launch in the dock. When I need them, I launch them from my apps folder. Everything works fine that way, but it didn't work before when the apps launched automatically!

I also made the point that the ONLY other potential factor is that I removed the Alsesis16 fire wire driver last week. But that did not immediately solve the issues, although I accept that it may have had a bearing on the issue in conjunction with reinstalling the 2.65 drivers later.

The acid test will be in the morning, because tonight I will go back to my usual method of working of putting the computer in sleep mode.  Maybe it will all blow up in my face in the morning.....................but at least I can work by switching off each day until someone finds a fix!

One final thing, I do have apple crash reports...............do you want me to email copy?

www.davidwrightmusic.com

This may be unrelated, but have you tried a System Reset?  This is a process where you disconnect the Mac from any power source (unplug the AC, and remove the battery from a laptop), and then press and hold the Power On button for ten seconds or more.

I was having some issues with a Firewire hard drive last week, that I eventually traced to a bad cable, but in the meantime, things got so screwed up I thought I had burnt out my Firewire chip in either my computer or my drive.  After a call to Applecare, and performing the System Reset and also resetting the P-Ram (boot up holding Control, Option, P and R for three or more start-up chimes), everything is back to normal.  The Applecare person explained that doing these things not only reset some information stored in the system memory, they can also have the effect of fixing some seemingly hardware related problems by "recalibrating" the voltages sent and expected by the various ports.

I'm thinking that removing your Alesis Firewire hardware may have left things in an "uncalibrated" state, and it can't hurt to do the System Reset and the P-Ram dance anyway.

Just a suggestion....

Frank Lockwood

Following on from yesterday's post: this morning I powered on my RME400, turned on my mac from sleep mode; turned on RME apps, everything working fine!

It would appear that my 3 months of daily kernel panics, hangs and crashes since installing Snow Leopard is at an end!

I reiterate my previous posts: the kernel panics, hangs and system crashes began after installing Snow Leopard and starting out of sleep mode. Prior to that, Leopard and RME400 drivers were rock solid.

I have installed/un-installed the 2.65 drivers probably 6 times at least. Even after a complete system overhaul by Mac technician, the problems persisted, but ONLY when the RME400 driver was powered on.

After removing the /Library/LaunchAgents/de.rme-audio.firefaceAgent.plist file all problems ceased, immediately!! Please note that I reiterate the effect on my system performance was immediate!!

The only other potential factor was the removal several days prior to this, of the Alesis16 driver. At the time of its removal though, it had no immediate effect, but maybe it did with a subsequent reinstall of the 2.65 drivers.

I still maintain that it looks suspiciously like the very act of searching for the RME400 driver is causing the Mac kernel panics. So removing that option (the p.list file) appears to stop the problems, or at least it did for me.

The only way I can prove this is to reinstall the Alesis16 driver and reinstall the 2.65 RME400 drivers so the p.list file is active again and try to recreate the problems. I may do that next week if only for my own satisfaction but at the moment it's nice to be working again without problems!!

I still think RME is the Rolls Royce of drivers, and probably this is more to do with Snow Leopard. Sadly though, the effect on the user is the same wherever the problem is rooted.

Thanks, but I had done a system reset, PRAM reset etc. I'm an 18 hour a day Mac user, either on my Mac Pro or my Mac Book and while not a "techi" person, I am an experienced user. I work constantly with Logic Pro in my own studio and in live applications, plus Photo shop and Aperture for my web business. I've also done several drive checks and repair permissions from the SL disc this week.

Because I had so many system crashes I took my computer into my Mac dealer two weeks ago and they had it on test for a couple of days, checked the memory was okay and sorted out some issues on the drive caused by all the crashes. When I got the Mac back is when I started to go methodically through things, isolated the RME400 as the 'cause' and then proceeded to install and reinstall the drivers. As you have read, I even tried the previous drivers as suggested by another post on this thread.

At this moment, I don't have any problems, everything is working absolutely fine now using the RME400 out of sleep mode. I am taking my Mac Pro back to the apple tech guy next week, because I did have 6 or 7 major system crashes before sorting things out and I want to know my drive is 100%, so that's purely precautionary.

197 (edited by Logico 2010-02-19 21:01:06)

Hi David,

Could you please try the following and confirm that this works for you:
FF startup --> Mac boot --> FF shutdown --> FF startup --> Launch Logic

BTW, do you run your FF 400 on bus-power?

FF400 v1.69/v2.71 (bus powered) | MacPro 2009/8-core/12 GB/TI | 10.6.3 (32) | Logic 9.1.1 (64)

Tried that yesterday when attempting various combinations for <quattroquarti> and it worked fine. My RME400 is now stable in Snow Leopard in whatever combination I power it on or off with the Mac and Logic/itunes/Toast or Peak. I will give it another go over the weekend though and post results - had enough of Macs and FF drivers for today!

I run the RME400 on mains power. I always have. I tried on bus power out of interest last week and it took ages for the Mac to start, agao=in as if it was struggling to locate the drivers, but that was when I was still having problems, so it might be okay now, so I'll give it a go later to see if it works okay.

I should point out, again, and at the risk of sound boring, that my RME400 is now NOT opening automatically in the dock because I removed the p.list file and I remain convinced, until proven otherwise, that this is significant, at least in solving my sleep/rme issues.

"Could you please try the following and confirm that this works for you:
FF startup --> Mac boot --> FF shutdown --> FF startup --> Launch Logic"

I tried this again twice yesterday and the first time it worked okay. But the second time the RM400 wasn't recognized (red light stayed one) so I had to power it off and on for it to work. Everything then seemed to be okay for an hour but then for no apparent reason, checking email and apps started to hang! Is that what happens for you Logico?

Coincidence?

What's more irritating is that after a system reset, p-ram reset, a disc verify and repair permissions from the SL disc and after shutting down yesterday, I'm having hanging apps problems again after starting from cold today!

Coincidence??

Serves my smugness right I guess for thinking I'd resolved my problem! But I can't help wondering if my system would've carried on behaving itself had I stuck to my on/off routine - and don't worry "Logico" I was glad to try what you asked and will still try more 'experimenting' this week when I have the time.

It's so b*****y frustrating!!

I have a "hang" crash report if anyone can make sense of it!

So, after a while... any new about the problem? how are going your investigations, Mattias?

A.