1 (edited by peachboy 2010-02-12 15:38:51)

Topic: Fireface 800 with a Behringer BCF2000 and Logic Audio - help!

Hi,

I am running Logic 8 on an iMac using a Fireface 800 audio interface via firewire.  I have a pair of stereo monitors (KRK RP6s) coming out of analogue outs 1+2 on the fireface.

Recently I decided to get myself a Behringer BCF2000 control surface, which initially was for the sole purpose of a practical way of controlling the output gain to my monitors.  Therefore I have the Behringer connected to the Fireface via MIDI, and have it in Mackie Control compatible mode so I can adjust the Fireface's software mixer (TotalMix).

All well and good.  The only trouble is, each time I load up Logic now, Logic automatically scans and detects the connection of a Mackie Control compatible device, and the net result is that each time I adjust the Behringer for the purpose of adjusting the Fireface's software mixer (TotalMix), I'm simultaneously (and unwantedly) screwing up a load of Logic settings. 

To give you an example, as I turn up one fader intended to control my monitors, I'm also sending out note information (?!) to a Logic synth plugin, which thereafter plays!  But also, Logic's own faders, panpots - these are all vulnerable to unwantedly change.

Ideally, I don't want Logic to even recognise the Behringer, or not to automatically scan for it.

Am I doing this all the wrong way?  All I really wanted was a control surface to control the output to my monitors - like a studio volume control.

Any help appreciated!

Re: Fireface 800 with a Behringer BCF2000 and Logic Audio - help!

i have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM ! (and gear, except for logic 9)...

PLEASE RME - can you build us a software upgrade that disables the MIDI from MIDI IN to FIREWIRE to the computer!
that would solve ALOT of problems...

but, for you, peachboy... type (apple)-8 while in logic.... the "environment"... then, go to 'clicks and ports' menu.
then, create a dummy instrument that goes nowhere, and definately not into the MIDI IN.
connect a line from the PORT 1 on fireface to this dummy....ought to disable any unwanted midi... for the moment.
logic will surely forget that you did this,.... especially if you change anything else (ever) in your setup.
it will also annoyingly scan for new hardware everytime you open a new file, and change arrange windows, and it's very annoying..

AGAIN, if RME had a DISABLE MIDI-FIREWIRE bridge via software (i.e. a software switch, like their other parameters) that'd be AMAZING... i'm sure for tons of other reasons as well....