1 (edited by gswitz 2013-05-09 01:50:12)

Topic: Linux Ubuntu Studio and my UCX in CC Mode

I like to make field recordings and so I've been using a laptop, but my laptop needs replacing. I have a great laptop for work, which I could use for the field recordings. I used Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.3.1 to create a bootable USB Drive for Linux Ubuntu Studio, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio for this Linux version (ubuntustudio-13.04-dvd-i386).

Now, I have the ability to make recordings using ANY laptop along with my Fireface UCX. This is a link to the manual for the DAW that comes installed on this version of Ubuntu... http://en.flossmanuals.net/ardour/ch017 … interface/ It appears to be a DAW without MIDI. I have succeeded in recording using it with 256 buffer latency, which is pretty good for the purposes, but admittedly I can do better with Windows.

I have recorded 8 tracks at 44.1 (24 bit). It has all kinds of FX. Frankly, it's a lot of fun for free. I'm hoping to get a nice rack workstation in the fall, and using a portable drive with my UCX is just really cool. I don't even have to bring my laptop when making recordings at a friends place. We can use his! I just plug my USB hard drive with Ubuntu studio on it and the UCX into my friend's PC and we're off.

So, I find I miss TotalMix FX and DigiCheck. I miss TotalMix more.

Can I install it? Is there a trick to running TotalMix FX on Linux?

Re: Linux Ubuntu Studio and my UCX in CC Mode

Looks like a version of Total Mix for the Mac in CC Mode is going to be released this year. Will it work on Linux?

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod … x-app.html

That 'new version' is an iPad app, means iOS. And that has nothing to do with Mac nor Linux, so - no.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by mxa 2013-06-06 15:37:33)

Another route would be the Firewire port, but then RME isn't helping to get that running on Linux. That's why reverse engineering is happening on a spare-time hobby basis. You could get in touch with those people:
http://www.ffado.org/?q=node/2621

5 (edited by gswitz 2013-07-04 01:36:08)

I'm happy with the class compliant mode of my interface on Linux. I just think it would be a huge improvement to be able to control the device with TotalMix on Linux.

I want to add to this thread that I have become a DigiCheck junkie. I launch 10 windows of that app at a time for EBU level monitoring etc. I use it for recording concerts. It's just awesome.

I want to be able to use that on Linux too. Can I? Is this just a problem of "I don't know how" rather than "I can't"?

It seems I'm very lonely in my wish, but I still think it would be sensational to have DigiCheck and TotalMix for Linux (Ubuntu Studio is my brand... :-)

gswitz wrote:

It seems I'm very lonely in my wish

I hear you. I'd love to see more Linux support in professional audio. And the UCX is incredible with the software that's provided for windows. In CC mode on Linux it is really good hardware - lacking the great software.

Yet I see myself considering an UCX for myself after all -.-

At least I'm not in a hurry and will wait until the end of the year for this decision.
Hope the read some news here. Keep it up.
Regards,
Martin

Someone posted about Firewire on Linux...

Here is a link to Ubuntu Studio...
https://ubuntustudio.org/2014/10/ubuntu … -released/

Many applications have been updated, but probably the most notable change with this release is ALSA firewire support, as of linux version 3.16. Trusty users will get the benefit of this as well, since linux-lowlatency will be backported to Trusty later.

Looks like Firewire may be possible in Ubuntu Studio. How about CC Mode working with Firewire and Linux? Any chance?

Any controller like TotalMix for Linux in the works? Just hoping.

:-)

Add cubase and any other great DAW to the list and all the very nice add-on VSTs .... wink

That would be a real breakthrough.

The bad thing IMHO is still, that Linux is not standardized enough to be sexy for companies to support it.

I think its already challenging for a company to cope up with all the changes being done by OS and communication chip vendors (Windows , Apple, TI, VIA, etc etc).

Even if you have an active community with programmers .. they ask you a lot of questions and the question is whether you want to give out knowledge and information. NDAs are nice, but you give something out of your house.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

11 (edited by gswitz 2014-11-06 00:52:54)

Am I crazy or does the UCX change buffer size when I change the buffer set in Jack in Linux ubuntu studio. The UCX appears to be following what I set in Jack. Does it do that?? Pretty cool if I'm not imagining things.

@ Ramses. I think that Linux is quiet enough standardized, Nvidia-proprietary-drivers are installable under basically every linux-distribution. RME could do the same without giving "industry secrets" to everyone, but they don't. Is it because they don't have the necessary resources (human, financial, competence...) or because they just don't want to, i don't know.

@ gswitz. I think that's normal. Changing buffersize directly results in changing latency so yes, thisis done via the jack-server.

I agree. Even if there was a binary package for one distribution (like Steam does for Ubuntu), most users would be extatic and other distributions would probably manage to adapt the installer to their needs.

I would also love to see TMFX (and maybe DigiCheck) on Linux.

Regarding the latest developments on software available for linux (Tracktion, Mixbus, Bitwig) there are companys out there who understood that Linuxusers are a market. So let's pray and be patient, maybe one day..........

16 (edited by HollowMac 2014-12-08 17:08:40)

I agree with sonik: RME can take example on Nvidia. We don't especially want open-source drivers. We just wish something that works on Linux. Then, the maintainers of GNU/Linux distributions will package the solution to be easily installable. So please just give us binary files, ALSA compatible drivers and we will be happy smile

There is more and more people using GNU/Linux. Providing a compatibility for these systems is a mean to distinguish yourself from other brands.

You backported TotalMix FX to all devices released since 2001: thanks a lot! This is a incredible work smile But now I think that the most challenging and important project about TotalMix and drivers is to port them to the Linux world.

Please please.

TotalMix

Hi @ all Linux an RME Fans,

I using Ubuntu since Years for Office an programming. For Audio DAW/Live Recording/live-playing I use WIN7 with FF UCX. My Target would be, using Ubuntu for all things....
If I connect FF UCX in Ubuntu 14.04 in CC Mode, all 18/18 Channels work perfectly with USB ALSA and Jack. A Buffer Size at 48KHz with 32 Samples is possible! Latency 0,7ms!!!
Now we need the possibility, to control the UCX. We don't need the whole TotalMix! On WIN I use OSC to control the most things in UCX...
TotalMix provides a OSC Server/Client on WIN and OS X.
RME also released a TotalMix APP for IOS....

@RME: Why don't you support Linux?
Is it possible for you, to realize a OSC Server/Client for Linux?
Please can you document, how your "OSC over USB" works?

Cheers,
ToM

Hi,

how in windows do you control by OSC the FF?
You could install mios-studio http://ucapps.de/ which has a OSC-Tool integrated, maybe that can give us some information.
While waiting for an answer of RME, ofcourse.

Hi,
I use Plogue Bidule http://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/. They have a build in OSC.
Mios is a very interesting Project, I don't recognize it for Years....
But what do you expect from Mios?
A OSC to MIDI Bridge? Only the mackie controls can changed via MIDI...
ToM

Well, if everything in the FF can be commanded by OSC, sniffing the syntax and looking for some linux-osc-server could for example switch on the phantom power. ;-)

Hi sonik,
some work is already done by me, in WIN7 with Bidule, e.g. controlling Gains...
it should be possible, to build a nearly a complete TotalMix in Bidule....
In WIN (and OS X) we have the "build in OSC" in TotalMix, so we can do this!
In Linux we need a "USB to OSC" Bridge/Driver, who convert the probably proprietary RME/USB Format to OSC!!!!
Do you see any solution with MIOS?
Can MISO be a USB sniffer?
ToM

No, i thought that if Totalmix talks to FF in OSC, than we could sniff the needed commands which could be reproduced by Bidule, Mios, PureData and probably other apps. This would make some features accessible to Linux-users.

24 (edited by 4tm 2015-05-21 14:55:36)

But how would you "connect" Linux to OSC of the FF? Do I missing something? There is no Driver and no TotalMix......

You're right, it's Totalmix whichs speaks OSC not the FF, ofcourse, so no.

I'll never give up hope!!

gswitz wrote:

I'm happy with the class compliant mode of my interface on Linux. I just think it would be a huge improvement to be able to control the device with TotalMix on Linux.

totally agree with you. have the same thoughts!!!)

Sei immer du selbst. Außer du kannst ein Einhorn sein, dann sei ein Einhorn!

did anyone manage to figure out how to control the UCX from Linux!?

Question to all Linux audio people out there:
- Are there ANY proper sound-cards out there that works out-of-the-box under (mainline) Linux!?

29 (edited by ramses 2018-09-27 18:20:38)

jidder wrote:

did anyone manage to figure out how to control the UCX from Linux!?

Question to all Linux audio people out there:
- Are there ANY proper sound-cards out there that works out-of-the-box under (mainline) Linux!?

As far as I remember RME devices which supports class compliant mode, might be useable under Linux.
But you won't get ASIO driver or something like TotalMix or Digicheck.

I would check the list of supported sound cards on the ALSA project page on web.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

it indeed shows up, but I have no way to control gain or phantom since they don't expose that in the feature-units.

no need for a totalmix equivalent on linux, just a way to programatically (even better via alsamixer) control the ins & outs.
done deal, and that soundcard would be the best in linux land..!

anyone here from @rme?