Topic: crackles on inputs -> bad cable or damaged electronics? (hdsp-e/mfII)

Hi all,

I'm using a Multiface II with HDSPe card. Everything has been working fine for a long time, until recently the interconnecting cable gave up the ghost, very loud noise was being emitted on all input and output channels.
I managed to get things to work for a short while (waiting on replacement cable) by twisting the interconnecting firewire cable "into the right position".

Now I ordered a (no-brand, cheap) 4.5 meter 6-pin firewire cable and exchanged it with the broken one. I'm able to playback and record sound, no noise bursts anymore, that is good, but I experience sporadically small, and also larger spikes appearing on several (multiple at once, usually) of the analog inputs, while in principle nothing should be sounding at all. Very occasionally these spikes also appear on my monitoring outputs.

Could this point to me having bought a cable of inferior quality?
Or is it more plausible that i damaged the pci-e card or breakoutbox?

Many thanks for any hints!

Re: crackles on inputs -> bad cable or damaged electronics? (hdsp-e/mfII)

Hard to say. I would try an external power supply for the MFII.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Perfect, this seems to have solved the issue. Many thanks for your quick and adequate response!!

I too used a cheap non-brand cable once. It worked okay for a while, but then i purchased a one with a higher quality from https://www.avxperten.dk/ . It still was a non-brand, but worked perfectly. So i think the quality may just be bad