Topic: ADI-2 Pro as Format Converter

I've read the User Manual, but I'm not sure I understood this.
And before committing to buy, I'm forced to ask your help, please.

Can ADI-2 Pro act as a digital format converter, like in receiving a signal on SPDIF Optical IN, or SPDIF Coax IN, and routing it to the AES/EBU out directly?

I realize it's too specific as an application to appear on your (very well done and informative) user manual, but it's what I did with the (now discontinued) Lake People DFC-C430. Which might justify replacing this and other hardware with your new, exciting ADI-2 Pro.

2 (edited by ramses 2016-10-26 13:15:58)

Re: ADI-2 Pro as Format Converter

See chapter 17.

The device supports different modi. It becomes delivered in the "auto" mode.
In this auto mode the device configures itself automatically depending on the connected cables.

- if there is no digital cable connected: analog in to analog out
- AD/DA: analog in to all digital outs. Digital In to all analog outs.
- usb mode, all I/Os connected to USB
- digital through monitor (has to be activated manually)
  automatic source and clock selection and internal D to D routing

It sounds to me as if your goal might be achieved by the digital through monitor mode.

But I also would wait for a confirmation from RME.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You must have misssed chapter 17.5 and its block diagram. As ramses said this is an easy task for the ADI-2 Pro, including distributing to 3 digital outputs simultaneously, and even sample rate conversion if desired while the digital input signal is still available at all analog outputs for monitoring.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I had some idea that Digital Mode could have been hinted. And no, I had not missed its explanation at chapter 17.5, nor the diagram that comes with it.

But I surely missed a "concurrently to all digital outputs, regardless of which digital input is being fed" statement at the point where internal D to D routing is mentioned in the text, like it's given for analog outputs, hence my asking.

Thanks for the quick reply, and for having developed such a promising collection of devices under one (very small) roof!

Well, but the text says:

-----
As any digital input signal becomes available at all three digital outputs, Dig Thru mode also offers digital format conversion as well as a distribution feature (one source to three destinations).
-----

And the block diagram clearly shows that the one signal is fed to all three digital outputs at the same time.

So I am a bit confused how to explain this better...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No, please, don't be confused on how to explain this better. Because you can't, I believe.
I wish I could have understood it right, and positively, before your answer.
Which I didn't, all of my fault.

I did fail to see a link with the interface of a really basic device in my possession (and not built by RME), because I failed to identify my application with the diagram, taken as I was with understanding all the bells and whistles of the ADI-2 Pro, believing to have an "either/or" scenario before my eyes.

Worked for years in writing and translating technical literature in a previous (professional) life, and still get shivers when I trap myself into the lack of reality check against the application I have in mind. Please accept my apologies for having lost my way in a glass of water.

No problem, don't worry. I just try to make the manuals as good as I can, so if there is a way to prevent misunderstandings and give clear information then I am eager to know how. If my text/diagram is ok already then even better, no additional work for today :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

rbbrnck wrote:

No, please, don't be confused on how to explain this better. Because you can't, I believe.
I wish I could have understood it right, and positively, before your answer.
Which I didn't, all of my fault.

I did fail to see a link with the interface of a really basic device in my possession (and not built by RME), because I failed to identify my application with the diagram, taken as I was with understanding all the bells and whistles of the ADI-2 Pro, believing to have an "either/or" scenario before my eyes.

Worked for years in writing and translating technical literature in a previous (professional) life, and still get shivers when I trap myself into the lack of reality check against the application I have in mind. Please accept my apologies for having lost my way in a glass of water.

Take it easy, the good news is, that this device is something for you wink

Warm welcome to the waiting list wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Is DIG Mode in ADI-2 FS exactly like insert converter mode in older ADI-2? Is the ADC in both versions disabled and format conversion happens to digital output based on its selected mode?

Yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME