Re: Hold your breath - TotalMix FX is coming (Fireface 800/400)!

The mix settings application,  it doesnt run. Play and record functions are working

Name and date of that file?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

have just searched my c:/ drive and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48643075/ff.gif that is what i got

Well, the mixer is called totalmixfx.exe.  fireface.exe is the Settings dialog for the FireWire driver. The file shown here is from driver 3.097, while we are currently at 3.099...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The settings dialog is what I want to start, I have installed the latest driver multiple times I dont know why I still have 3 copies of the old one?

Help!  I have been using my FireFace 800 with a 15" Macbook Pro (2GHz Intel Core i7) for about 3.5 years now.  I bought the Macbook new from Apple in early 2011.  The FireFace worked flawlessly with my older Macbook Pro (connecting via Firewire 400).  When I bought my current Macbook Pro in early 2011 it only had Firewire 800 connectivity.  As I recall I initially had choppy audio playback when I connected my current Macbook Pro via the Firewire 800 port.  I found a workaround on this forum that advised to try connecting the FireFace to a second device via the Firewire 400 port.  I connected my Lacie external hard drive and this combination of hardware has worked flawlessly until the past week or so.  I wouldn't say I am overly technical, but I always do the appropriate firmware and driver updates as recommended by RME and I'm pretty good at troubleshooting. 

I'm not sure if my current issue is related to a recent Mac update (I'm currently running OSX 10.9.5), but I recently started experiencing choppy audio playback again with my FireFace 800.  The choppiness went away when I switched over to the built-in audio interface on my Mac.   

I went to the updates page for the FireFace and noticed the recent RME firewire update (3.23/TotalMix).  I figured this might address the problem so I downloaded and installed it.  Previously I was running the most recent RME firewire drivers/firmware (3.06 and 2.77 respectively).  The install went smoothly and the FireFace loads up ok with the new TotalMix.  Everything looks good, but I am still getting choppy audio playback with the 3.23 upgrade in all of my audio programs (Logic Studio 9.1.8, QuickTime, iTunes, VLC,...).  And audio still plays back ok through the built-in audio interface with the 3.23 update. 

I looked around on this forum but I don't see anyone else posting about this problem yet.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  I can provide more info if you need it, just let me know.  Thanks very much for your help!!

Just installed the Mac Firewire update 323 for my Fireface 400 and now using TotalMix FX 1.03 smile Thanks so much for that!

gmutandwa wrote:
MC wrote:

have just searched my c:/ drive and https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48643075/ff.gif that is what i got

Does anyone know how to really do a "clean" uninstall/install, coz i cant delete these 3 files and my settings dialog will not autostart or open when i try to launch any of these

59 (edited by Hobbit 2014-10-29 14:45:35)

Hi

Updated to latest driver (3.99) no issues thus far and really like thelook of the new mixer (will get my head around it).

Question :

On Inputs 1 and 2 at the top on the old mixer I would have input 1L as a mono and central pan, using this as an indivual mono input routed nicely, like wise input 2R would be mono central pan again used as a second mono input for a 2nd instrument.

All the other inputs are then used as stereo.

I can see there's a panning setting and mono function.  However how do I seperate the first stereo inputs to act as the previous setup as 2 indvidual mono inputs please?

Sorted....in the settings function.  Nice professional interface RME.  Well done.

My FF400 / firmware 1.71 / driver 2.9992 works flawlessly on a WinXP(x32) laptop (Core 2 duo).

Is the latest TotalMix FX out of reach for the FF400 if I stick with that aging OS, which I'd rather not upgrade to Win7 or higher?

My understanding is that it's required (or recommended?) to stay with driver 2.9992 when on WinXP, and not try installing the 3.xx driver series...and that the latest TotalMix FX alas needs the 3.xx series driver?  Would appreciate being set straight on this. Thanks.

The new driver will work under XP as well. And if you don't like it you could even go back to the old driver again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I only discovered this upgrade now, months later, after a routine visit to your website. All I can say is... thanks. You guys kick ass. This is why long-time users of your products STAY long-time users of your products.

Using the new Totalmix with my Fireface 400 since last year and it works great. Thanks a lot for that HUGE update!

One single question left - is support for the gains/instrument switch/phantom switch in Totalmix planned or will that reside forever in the settings application?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

That will stay in the Settings dialog forever, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there! smile

I´ve got a FF400, using driver 3.115 & am on Windows 10 - I wonder what happened to the Pan Law-option/setting that was available in the older drivers?

If it´s unavailable & will stay that way, I´d at least like to know what Pan Law I should use in Sonar.

Oh - and thanks for a great interface/soundcard & your awesome support still releasing drivers for it, I´ve had it since 2007 & still feel no need to replace it for soundquality (maybe for more channels, but that´s another story).

Kind regards from Sweden
Per

The current pan law you could easily find out by moving the pan and checking the level meters - it's 3 dB down in center. More options will not be available, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That´s all I need to know - thanks Matthias!

Running TOTALMIX FX  on OSX 10.6.8 with a FF800 and while I have had the 800 since new and it's a ROCK... I am only starting to work with TOTALMIX as I never realised just how integral it is. Over and above being the center of the studio , It is THE answer to headphone monitoring during tracking!
The problem seems to be understanding how to set up configurations.
I looked at the SYNTHAX part 1 tutorial and that was a big help.
So, I start trying to simply set up some routing and  tried the first step: highlighting an output channel and fader-drag assigning inputs to it... and...
nothing highlights.
I click on outputs, inputs, anything... and no highlighting occurs.
What am I missing?

ADAT? moi? never...

I am not sure I understand your issue, but what I do is:
Highlight an output. Then adjust input and software fader to taste. That's it. No highlighting or anything needed.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

You don't have the Submix view active, but the free routing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

THanks Vinart, the problem is that NOTHING highlights.

ADAT? moi? never...

MC wrote:

You don't have the Submix view active, but the free routing.

hmmm.. I see the boxes under ROUTING MODE, if I light up SUBMIX, nothing seems different.
no matter what chanel I click on, theres is no highlighting happening.

As I said, for me this is a new dive into TOTALMIX and it IS comprehensive in design so I may be missing any number of things.

another odd thing is stuff off-screen...

in the three-row view at 100%, the bottom of the lower row is cut off along the line of the NoTrim button. It seems like the TOTALMIX window is larger vertically than the screen, and the bottom-right-corner grab-point drag-resize the window cannot be gotten at. if I use the Mac keyboarfd F9 key to shrink all windwos and see them all at once, i can see that the TOTALMIX window DOES extend all teh way down... but wen it is full-up on screen, there's no way to get it all.

in the two=row view, although EVERYTHING seems to be on screen with vertical room to spare, on the far right lower edge, when LAYOUTS is expanded down to the lower edge of the window, the word "Store" is half-cut off

ADAT? moi? never...

ok... I just saw the last post i did and am confused as to how "I AM A BLODY SPAMMER" was inserted into the
text...? Not MY fingers!

ADAT? moi? never...

... and it seems I have found the 'CHANNEL-TRIGGERED' spam alert thingie...!

at least I can stop worrying that something on MY end did it!

ADAT? moi? never...

75 (edited by vinark 2017-03-03 21:03:55)

You can change the size of totalmix in the menu!
Oh and I have been a spammer too, just as bloody as you even, with me it was the word k i t c h e n lol

Vincent, Amsterdam

OK. Problem solved.
the TRIM was activated.
I haven't felt this ignorant in 3 decades, back when I was trying to decipher a HARRIS console routing paradigm in a satellite truck in the hour before the show was to start.
Working my way through this... what a remarkable system.

ADAT? moi? never...

vinark wrote:

You can change the size of totalmix in the menu!

I only see 100% and higher which mkes it LARGER...

Oh and I have been a spammer too, just as bloody as you even, with me it was the word k i t c h e n lol

good to be in fine company then!

ADAT? moi? never...

So... does NAMES do anything with a ff800?

ADAT? moi? never...

Sure - as soon as you rename them...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

80 (edited by vinark 2017-03-30 14:54:02)

MC wrote:

Sure - as soon as you rename them...

And handy it is too. Once you start renaming AND hiding channels it is great to be able to see what adat ports (in my case) are used especially a few months after I created the setup wink
Thanks MC for the great way RME is working!

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hi there,

i have a FF400 running 1.71 firmware, FireFace version 3.33 and Totalmix version 1.43 on macOS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)

I do not see any of the FX / EQ options in my Totalmix mixer. Am I missing something ? Is my macOS version not supported ? Would love to use the new FX features as I'm trying to down size my studio!

Many thanks in advance!

82 (edited by ramses 2017-08-12 16:54:00)

This recording interface does not have a FX chip on board.
"TotalMix FX" is simply the new name of the latest TotalMix software after a kind of rewrite where the really good news is, that even older interface got this new software backported.
The Fireface 400 should now have TotalMix FX support, by this you could i.e. even use the new ARC USB when you connect it to your PCs USB port. The software TotalMix FX does then the interfacing between FF400 and the ARC USB.

If you look at the product page on RME Webserver, then the Fireface UCX has the information
"TotalMix FX (with UFX effects engine)"
So this interface has an FX chip on board.

If you look at the product page of FF400, you see only "Totalmix".
It got also TotalMix FX meanwhile, but it has no FX engine.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ah so i need a UCX ? Or some other RME product with on board FX chip right ? Basically mine is too old sad

You can have a look at this comparison sheet which I created:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php … 17-01-pdf/

If you want a recommendation you should describe what you require and what budget you have.

Best buy is at the moment the UFX, former flagship USB/FW interface which has been reduced in price.
See other thread in regards to this: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 82#p123582

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13