Topic: Octamic XTC and MADI FX no activity

SOS,

I just purchased a HDSPe MADI FX and a Octamic XTC and connected them via MADI. I have tried everything and cannot get a signal to Total Mix from my Octamic. The MADI FX Card shows an input and output, but the XTC MADI connections show no input or output. I have tried the cables both ways with no luck. I was told they are like a larger version of an ADAT cable, but I get no light out of the XTC or MADI FX Card. I can't find any examples on how to properly connect these. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2 (edited by ramses 2017-11-15 07:22:46)

Re: Octamic XTC and MADI FX no activity

ADAT is "point to point" for send and receive between "2" devices.
MADI is a "ring" between "2 or more" devices.

Do you use optical or copper connections?
I used optical (Multimode Fiber up to 2km between 2 devices).
You get the cable either with 50/125 oder 62,5/125µm.
I recommend 50/125 optical multimode cables because they are more modern.
Also well for networking, because with them you achive highest distances.

Look here how I arranded connection for UFX+ and 2 Ocatamic XTC:

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … Cber-MADI/

http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/1774-UFX-und-Octamic-XTC-Bild-2-Rear-MADI-Cabling-jpg/

You can use OM4 cable like this: https://www.reichelt.de/LWL-Kabel/O0318 … SEARCH=OM4

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately there seems to be a hardware problem, either the card or the XTC. The cables are the ALVA MADI Optical Cable 0.5m and it's a simple setup. Looped in/out from MADI FX Card to XTC. Can't get a sync at all with MADI cables, no activity whatsoever. If I loop a BNC cable I get word clock sync, but still no activity with MADI. Both devices were flashed and updated to the latest firmware/drivers and Sweetwater Tech Support even gave a go at it by remote with no luck. Absolutely maddening, you spend $4300 and can't use it.. I tried Synthax, but nobody ever answers the phone and I left a message to call yesterday and still nothing. Never a problem with my HDSP9652 or RayDat. I made the jump so I could take advantage of the FX in Total Mix..

I think if you bought it brand new, then the dealer is the 1st one being responsible for you.
I would call him and ask for exchange of the unit or give it back and buy elsewhere again.
Could also be a defective unit.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Where are you located exactly? Usually it should be no problem to reach Synthax US support.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I was away at events all last week. We did speak on the phone finally and it seems to be a hardware issue of the MADI transceiver on the Octamic XTC (loopback test failed).

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.