Topic: TotalMix FX 1.50 and Total Remote - Questions and Answers

This thread has been opened to free the public beta feedback thread from becoming too cluttered and unreadable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX 1.50 and Total Remote - Questions and Answers

Thanks guys!

Two questions.

1.) No Android support?  Is this coming?

2.) No new driver/firmware needed for this?

1. Not in the forseeable future. Same for Linux.

2. Not needed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great work! Thank you.

Are you planning to publish the programming details/API for the TCP connection? It would be great if we could create our own custom remotes without having to use OSC etc.

cheers
Mark Rogers

MC wrote:

1. Not in the forseeable future. Same for Linux.

2. Not needed.

Thanks for the reply.  Not trying to start a war here, but why the delay on Android support?  I despise Apple and will not support them.  Android has a HUGE user base, with many other apps working just fine on that platform, so am a little disappointed that you guys aren't doing the same.  Just curious as to the reasons.

Thanks for your time.

andrewhenderson wrote:

Not trying to start a war here, but why the delay on Android support?  I despise Apple and will not support them.  Android has a HUGE user base, with many other apps working just fine on that platform, so am a little disappointed that you guys aren't doing the same.  Just curious as to the reasons.

Thanks for your time.

That's the answer - our time. Apart from that TotalMix Remote is not limited to the iPad - you can use ANY cheapo Windows tablet (and there are a lot) for it, as it has only low demands on CPU and memory.

For obvious reasons of usability, reliability and operationability wink there will also be no iPhone version (which excludes Android phones as well), sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

mogers wrote:

Are you planning to publish the programming details/API for the TCP connection? It would be great if we could create our own custom remotes without having to use OSC etc.

Sorry but we will not publish that. TM FX will get more flexible in the near future, so custom remotes should not be necessary.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As I understand the QSUG, the connection between host TMFX and remote requires an existing/established wi-fi or Ethernet network access point as an intermediary.  A direct connection say TMFX(iPad) to Remote(iPad) is not possible. What about if the host iPad has activated 'personal hotspot'?

Where no such network is available or accessible, a WiFi Access Point/Router device would also need to be set  up to enable this to work. (This might be preferable, as it avoid uncertain performance due to fluctuation of network performance due to load, as when as complete control over access, eg., by confining operation to the 5GHz band.)

Comments?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Your post seems to be a bit off the point. This is about network remote, via Ethernet or WiFi. Obviously it does not make any sense if there is no network at all. And if you have a network-ready DAW but don't use the network - same same. If you have Ethernet or WiFi then your example with two iPads does not make much sense to me. In fact it doesn't make any sense as there is no TotalMix FX available that would be running on the iPad as host for other devices with TotalMix Remote!

The second part might be included in a later FAQ.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Your post seems to be a bit off the point. ....
The second part might be included in a later FAQ.

The point of the query relates to previous instances I have mentioned in relation to TMFX where I am working in a venue using the UFX to both record and manage the PA.  I would envisage having one iPad (I now have more than one) or possible the Windows audio laptop TMFX USB'd to the UFX sitting on the stage, with the "Remote" out in the auditorium being able to control the PA mix (oh, and the recording) 'in da house'. 

The 'point' of the post was to clarify whether it is possible for two iPads to communicate directly using the Wi-Fi band(s) possibly by setting one of them in 'personal hotspot' mode.  It seems at the moment that the concept is feasible only where there is an accessible established Wi-Fi network.  In some of the venues I may need to work, this is not the case.  Just clarifying that a "BYO network" solution is then required.

(The considered alternative is to move to a QSC-Touchmix type solution, however these devices currently only record at 48K max.)

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Just set both devices to a static ip.

eg 10.0.0.1 for the computer controlling the UFX and 10.0.0.2 for the remote controller. Netmask 255.255.255.0.

You don't need a router and DHCP for simple networks.

Alternatively, you could use internet connection sharing (without internet), but I haven't used that on Windows in about ten years or so. So, YMMV. That should give you a DHCP server in the computer controlling the UFX. Easier if you count on using multiple remotes.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Is there an ETA of iOS TMX in App Store?

I know it's only a beta but the new TotalMix FX app doesn't seem to open on launch on MacOS.

Do I need to manually add this in the System Preferences or will the official installer eventually do this automatically?

I seem to remember the older version of TotalMix opening automatically when I login/restart the computer.

There can be no automatic launching - it is just an app. The installer will later take care of that. Right now (if not removed from the Applications folder) the normal TotalMix will be loaded on every boot from its LaunchAgent.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

All betas have been updated in the other thread. Note that both TM FX are now on beta 3, both TM Remote on beta 4 (check the About dialogs to know what you currently use).  I updated download links and text/info in the first post of the other thread.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

16 (edited by Shein 2018-02-09 01:50:22)

Hi

First of all I’d like to say that I’m really excited to hear the news, because I was waiting for wi-fi remote from the very beginning when RME released the iPad app! But my question is off topic.

My band and me use RME 802 as monitoring mixer for our in-ear headphones. And it’ll be very good for us to get the opportunity to assign unlimited number of headphones in TotalMix Control Room (or 6 at least, cause right now there is a maximum of 4).

Is it possible to add this feature? Thanks in advance.

MC wrote:

iOS: The app should be available soon on the Apple App Store.

This is confusing: Is there an app that works with the new TotalMix FX in the iOS store at the moment? I just purchased the TotalMix FX app due to:

MC wrote:

Make sure both host and remote computer / iPad reside in the same network. Start TotalMix Remote. On the iPad tap on the gear symbol in the upper right corner, then on Host Connection Settings.

and am now realising this is the app for the class-compliant functions for attaching an RME interface to an iPad. So $3.99 wasted. Is the new remote app going to be integrated into the same app? At the moment, there is no "Host Connection Settings" option in the app (which is fairly old.)

rightbrain wrote:
MC wrote:

iOS: The app should be available soon on the Apple App Store.

This is confusing: Is there an app that works with the new TotalMix FX in the iOS store at the moment? I just purchased the TotalMix FX app due to:

MC wrote:

Make sure both host and remote computer / iPad reside in the same network. Start TotalMix Remote. On the iPad tap on the gear symbol in the upper right corner, then on Host Connection Settings.

and am now realising this is the app for the class-compliant functions for attaching an RME interface to an iPad. So $3.99 wasted. Is the new remote app going to be integrated into the same app? At the moment, there is no "Host Connection Settings" option in the app (which is fairly old.)

Not wasted you can refund on the store and wait for the free app when it's released

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

And you can't complain when you buy an app without reading its description, which in this case can't be more clear!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Shein wrote:

My band and me use RME 802 as monitoring mixer for our in-ear headphones. And it’ll be very good for us to get the opportunity to assign unlimited number of headphones in TotalMix Control Room (or 6 at least, cause right now there is a maximum of 4).

There is no limit for headphones. All that differs between headphones in the Control Room section and a normal submix to the left of it is the Talkback function. And you can activate that with ALL outputs, in the output's settings panel.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for this RME! It is something I didn't know I needed, but now I have it I do, I have three slaves in different places in my room, in the past I just had to take a a few steps. Seems to work fine here after limited use. Only thing is I could not connect on IP address only on computer name.
Have a great weekend!
Vincent

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Only thing is I could not connect on IP address only on computer name. Vincent

Huh, this is very strange, this would mean either
- you entered the wrong IP address or
- the parsing of IP address in the program code would fail

Would be interesting, if you could check this again to make sure that you had no typo when entering the IP address.
Maybe leading Zeros in front of the octet might confuse the parser, like i.e. 010.001.001.120
or maybe you entered a "," (comma) instead of a "." (dot) by accident.

What name resolution service are you using ?
Do you have a local DNS server in your network or do you use static IP/hostname settings managed under
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc in either hosts or lmhosts file ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Haha I'm a fool. Overlooked that I am on the 192.168.1.** range and not 192.168.0.**
Working with IP address too now!
Need my coputer glasses on and not on the desk.
Cheers Ramses!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Total Remote - thats great! (sounds like "Total Recall" with Arnie wink)
I was waiting for a feature like this. OSC with Android ist ok, but this is even better of course.

I have a technical question:
Wouldn´t it be great to make the remote control browser-based? It would be independent from any specific OS.

(maybe its not possible, i ask just for interest + technical understanding)

Public Beta thread, post 1:

The latter show particularly clearly the great advantage of the TCP-based remote: lowest system load and very low latency. In contrast to popular, browser-based network solutions, TotalMix FX minimizes the burden on the remote client and the host, and thrills with fluid operation without delays. This is true even if a fader group is moved quickly, and many nodes need to process changing gain values. Even using standard WiFi, TotalMix Remote works quickly and seamlessly with TotalMix FX 1.50.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah thank you. I was too excited and rushed trough the post...

MC wrote:
Shein wrote:

There is no limit for headphones. All that differs between headphones in the Control Room section and a normal submix to the left of it is the Talkback function. And you can activate that with ALL outputs, in the output's settings panel.

Thank you very much for your reply. The point is in splitting headphone monitor channels from all other outputs by placing them in the right corner of Control Room. That would be very comfortable.

28 (edited by tzzsmk 2018-02-10 12:49:57)

I just started testing it,

rig 1: HDSPe AIO, MacOS 10.11.6, i7-5820K/32GB/X99 desktop hackintosh, wired to router (100Mbit),
(Intel X99 unsupported platform by Apple, some things may not work, network severely restricted using Little Snitch)

rig2: Fireface UFX, Windows 7 32bit, ancient Acer 6292, heavily modded, wi-fi to router,
(Windows Firewall service doesn't exist, plenty things may not work, entire Windows folder is only 4.6GB)

I could almost say everything works "out of the box", but I ran into one minor problem, perhaps because of my router/modem,
in TotalMix Remote, I got an error "cannot startup services on port" (default 7009), so I had to manually change ports to 6000 on one rig and 6001 on second rig, problem solved,

I can remotedly control those 2 rigs from each other,
quite tempted to get some iPad and mess around more smile)

@mikemayers66 Microsoft introduced Progressive Web Apps as a next-gen step away from UWP Store Apps, it's sort of web-like app thingy, might be what you ask for, but it's in early stages now:
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/201 … indows-10/

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Thank you
great job
the new total mix works really fine.1.50 beta
I use the software in the studio, and only one whish is left
is it possible to get a screen with big knobs only to select the snapshots?
just as the arc?
Thank you again
Reinhold

You can easily set the size to 200% and hide all the channels....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just wanted to say MC, that this is all working so well.  Almost no lag when controlling from iPad etc.  Just brilliant!!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

I seem to run into a problem...
Following the instructions, Mac and iPad connected to the same network.
However the IP seems to be different. When I try to change the IP in the app in jumps back to the previous IP.
So no connection here.
I have lemur running and it works fine, so I wonder what is different in this case...
Any ideas?
Thanks smile

Your description makes not much sense as there is nothing to 'jump back'. The IP of both devices is of course different. You need to enter the host's IP into the iPad app's Host Connection dialog.

Otherwise please give us a step to step description of what you do.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

mattrixx wrote:

Just wanted to say MC, that this is all working so well.  Almost no lag when controlling from iPad etc.  Just brilliant!!

Thanks! The low latency is really nice and brought up the use case of an external meter bridge - without an additional monitor output on the host computer. You can make all channels narrow and use the iPad or any computer as level meter bridge / display that way, always having an overview of what signal comes where with what level.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK.
I've figured out the problem.
After entering my IP on the iPad I just closed the keyboard instead of hitting Return.
If you don't hit Return and just press anywhere else on the screen the numbers in the IP dialogue on the app change back.

Everything works fine now.

Thanks.

MC wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

Thanks! The low latency is really nice and brought up the use case of an external meter bridge - without an additional monitor output on the host computer. You can make all channels narrow and use the iPad or any computer as level meter bridge / display that way, always having an overview of what signal comes where with what level.

Ah yes, brilliant.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

37 (edited by garry 2018-02-15 09:12:19)

MC wrote:
mattrixx wrote:

All working wonderful here (iPad mini)
My only request is some kind of auto scaling to make better use of the screens.

Currently I can have on zoom out or normal..
In normal I need to scroll between the channels.. zoomed out I can see all, but then there is some wasted grey space.

Would be great to see an auto button.. that just scales automatically so that all channels are visible as big as they can be with no wasted space.

But as it is it's still great to use!

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

I know what you mean. Please note that you can swift the control strip to the right, which is especially useful in portrait mode, which gives a bigger view in zoom out state.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What happened to me might help someone else with the same problem.

I spend much time trying to get TM Remote to work.  I had the settings exactly correct:  IP, firewall, router etc. but it would not connect.  Finally I changed the IP address in TM Remote to the host name and voila, it worked!  Go figure.  Anyway, thanks to everyone at RME for a great product.

40 (edited by RichardC 2018-02-13 15:58:52)

I've go one small question.  How does TMFX and Remote behave if the Wi-Fi signal gets degraded?

I'm asking this question because I have a wireless DAC that randomly changes settings when it has an unreliable signal.  One time the DAC set the main outputs to zero Dbfs.  It nearly killed my cat! (just joking)

It's not so bad if the synchronising between TMFX and Remote starts lagging (or even stops responding) if there is a weak signal but if it unexpectedly starts changing settings on the host this could be a problem.

Thanks.

Is it possible to 'lock' certain sections of TotalMix (e.g. preamp gain) when handing over control to the artist?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Not yet:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 88#p127988

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

RichardC wrote:

I've go one small question.  How does TMFX and Remote behave if the Wi-Fi signal gets degraded?

It's not so bad if the synchronising between TMFX and Remote starts lagging (or even stops responding) if there is a weak signal but if it unexpectedly starts changing settings on the host this could be a problem.

We would not have released crap like that. Stutter yes, false values no.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Glad to see that's in the pipeline.  The release is very cool, especially as we work out various ways to use it smile

Thanks RME!

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

I tried the latest beta version of Totalmix FX, when I tried to split the output 3/4 to two mono outputs, the mix of output 4 is not really working, it follows output 3, can you please check it?

The mixing engine has not changed at all. Check your pan settings.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

DD wrote:

Any plans to "send" data from TotalMix? To control one PC instance of TotalMix across a network from another?

TotalMix Remote is also available for the Mac and PC, links are in the first post here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=26568

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

48 (edited by frankafigarella 2018-02-14 14:31:38)

Hi everyone,

I'm on a new macbook pro 2017 and ipad pro, same network, got a Fireface 802, Totalmix remote server ok.
when i type in the host's ip address into the ip field and press done....Nothing's happening, it goes back to the demo ???
Someone's got an idea ???
Did i miss something ?

Thanks a lot,

I've got a short video i can send to anyone that can help me.

RME Fireface 802
Octamic XTC
Mac User

frankafigarella wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm on a new macbook pro 2017 and ipad pro, same network, got a Fireface 802, Totalmix remote server ok.
when i type in the host's ip address into the ip field and press done....Nothing's happening, it goes back to the demo ???
Someone's got an idea ???
Did i miss something ?

Thanks a lot,

I've got a short video i can send to anyone that can help me.

Ok, i found the solution !!!
after typing the IP address, you need to press enter on the iPad keyboard before you tap Done (it's not in the quick start explanation) it seems stupid but when you apply exactly what's written, you miss the point ;-D

Congratulation RME team, i've been dreaming of this for a long time, especially as a drummer who's recording himself very often !
no need to come back 50 times in the control room for a perfect monitoring and and drum sound !!!

Thank you so much and Bravo !

RME Fireface 802
Octamic XTC
Mac User

Packet loss ? Firewall issue ? How is the setup exactly from an end-to-end perspective ? Describe the network connection.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13