Re: TotalMix FX 1.50 and Total Remote - Questions and Answers

navymaker wrote:

I have feature request: can you add an option to prevent iPad from sleeping while TotalMix is active?

+1 much needed (i dont wish to change options all the time)

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

navymaker wrote:

I have feature request: can you add an option to prevent iPad from sleeping while TotalMix is active?

Thanks!! Great feature going to test this weekend

_

PhelixK wrote:

Remote for iPad is out on App Store!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/totalmi … 71593?mt=8

Works great, thank you!!

Fantastic!
Anybody want's to buy my MACKIE DL 32R ;-)

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

TMFX 150B3 host, Windows TM Remote 150B4 (same-network W10 x64) or TM Remote for iPad (iPad Pro iOS 11.2.5) clients.

No Found Devices with either remote software. I confirmed the IP address on all devices, and tried different Port Numbers, with no success.

It has to be something in my setup, but other remote apps work and I don't know what else to look at on my system.

seriousfun wrote:

TMFX 150B3 host, Windows TM Remote 150B4 (same-network W10 x64) or TM Remote for iPad (iPad Pro iOS 11.2.5) clients.

No Found Devices with either remote software. I confirmed the IP address on all devices, and tried different Port Numbers, with no success.

It has to be something in my setup, but other remote apps work and I don't know what else to look at on my system.

Are you sure the host server has been enabled with the checkbox?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, thanks.

Still not working after a couple of reboots.

Fixed!

Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall

Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall

Change Settings (at top)

Allow another app (at bottom)

Browse for TotalMixFX.exe in Windows\System32, click Open to add to list of allowed apps

Many apps do this silently (or stealthily...).

seriousfun wrote:

Yes, thanks.

Still not working after a couple of reboots.

I believe I followed all the instructions and tips in this post, but when I want to run TotalMix Remote I get a message "The Network Remote can not startup services on the selected Port!"

Windows 10 Pro, I allowed both FX and Remote through the Firewall.

Should I change the Port? How do I know what Port to assign?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ucxguy wrote:

Remote is working with Windows 10 system and new ipad pro,  but I get the message,  " No UDP data received...",  when I start the app on the ipad... message also says to check firewalls... I did and they show that Total Mix FX is allowed to pass firewall...I also tried turning off windows firewalls but this didn't help... Remote works,  but keeps "disconnecting and re-connecting" and so when I try to adjust any parameters,  I have a long delay before action... say 3 to 6 seconds before a response...any ideas???    thank  you...

You will have another firewall then - in your router, or a virus scanner or...or disabled the wrong one (private/public).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

pumafred wrote:

I believe I followed all the instructions and tips in this post, but when I want to run TotalMix Remote I get a message "The Network Remote can not startup services on the selected Port!"

Windows 10 Pro, I allowed both FX and Remote through the Firewall.

Should I change the Port? How do I know what Port to assign?

From Post 1:
The port defaults to 7009 and usually must not be changed. In case this port is unexpectedly occupied a warning message will be issued. Choose a different port then.

Type in 7008 or 7011 or...and do this on both sides.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

(This post is not about testing the beta but rather about the forthcoming release.)

I would love to see the Fireface USB settings being integrated into the Totalmix application to remove GUI clutter that comes from having the two applications separate. RME, from a technical standpoint, how difficult would it be to have the USB settings as a dialog that can be opened in the totalmix menu? I use Mac. Thanks!

There is a lot of special stuff going on with the Settingsdialog, that's why we hesitate to do it. This request is not new...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I think the driver / application design is cleaner as it is now to have exactly these relationships
Driver <-> RME Settings Dialog, for solely driver related settings
Driver <-> Applications for simply application related things, be it an ASIO client or TotalMix itself
If you should have bugs on appliaction level, then the RME settings dialog is separate from that and still working
and you can still see there the actual settings of devices.
I regard it personally as worse / not so clean design to change this and to move this to the application level (TM)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

No it isn't. I activate, route  and manage all effects in Totalmix but to choose If I record them or not I have to go to a different application ?

66 (edited by ramses 2018-02-17 20:36:45)

The driver settings dialog is not "to choose whether you want to record them".

Its a small application which directly interacts with the driver and the connected hardware to perform very basic configuration settings and diagnosis, like ASIO Buffer size, USB debugging, clock mode.

You also wouldn't want to implement the computer BIOS into the Operating System.

KISS (keep it small and simple) is one of the virtues of designing various things.
I personally would like to add to this: "do it structured and layered".

A small basic application for this driver/hw parametrization can be kept much easier bug free, if you program it isolated, instead of creating one monolitic application which carries all.

Why not also adding DigiCheck into TotalMix ?!?!?!
Because the application then becomes to monolitic, complex and fat.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

KISS (keep it small and simple)

Almost, but not quite... :-P

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

psst, nobody would have noticed wink

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear the request is acknowledged.

I do understand the sandboxing point of view, stability and reliability first, right?
So might I add another suggestion: On Mac, could the usb settings reside in the menubar (next to the clock, battery etc.) instead of the Dock (and the cmd+tab list of open applications)? Would be out of the way but still it's own app.

Why no love for Android?

Already answered in the first 6 posts of this thread!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

72 (edited by pianopictures 2018-02-18 08:23:53)

OK, thank you.

MC wrote:
andrewhenderson wrote:

Not trying to start a war here, but why the delay on Android support?  I despise Apple and will not support them.  Android has a HUGE user base, with many other apps working just fine on that platform, so am a little disappointed that you guys aren't doing the same.  Just curious as to the reasons.

Thanks for your time.

That's the answer - our time. Apart from that TotalMix Remote is not limited to the iPad - you can use ANY cheapo Windows tablet (and there are a lot) for it, as it has only low demands on CPU and memory.

For obvious reasons of usability, reliability and operationability wink there will also be no iPhone version (which excludes Android phones as well), sorry.

I don't quite get the logic. You took your time implementing this remote functionality that is definitely very welcome although quite a few owners of RME interfaces actually may need it and use it. Out of this few people even lesser are the users of the iOS devices and/or use another PC/Mac in their routines. On the other side a huge amount of people have Android devices so this remote functionality may be used by much more users of RME products on a daily basis or occasionally.

I mean, like that person in that first posts, I'm not going to support Apple by buying their stuff anytime soon, nor I'm going to get a "cheapo PC tablet" just for this stuff, but I may try and find the use for it if I could have it on my phone. It's how I see it from my side. I get it, maybe some pro users, like live audio engineers, have no problems getting the iPads directly for this purposes, IDK...

Another thing that confused me, you said you are not going to implement a version for iPhone, sorry, I'm not familiar with it all, but I had the impression that iOS is the same on both iPads and iPhones, am I wrong?

Do you plan to add an increase in the cover of Total Remote for modern high-resolution tablet screens to make it easier to manage your fingers?
I use the Remote on Surface Pro, and when the cover is enlarged by 200%, there are still small knobs to control the fingers. I think a 350% increase would be nice smile

We thought the same when using the Surface Pro. On our list...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If I could still bother you on this point: Would it be technically possible to place the USB settings in the menubar on Mac? Could also be just an option, if it doesn't bloat the software too much. Thanks!

Lukas_K wrote:

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear the request is acknowledged.

I do understand the sandboxing point of view, stability and reliability first, right?
So might I add another suggestion: On Mac, could the usb settings reside in the menubar (next to the clock, battery etc.) instead of the Dock (and the cmd+tab list of open applications)? Would be out of the way but still it's own app.

Hello all,

I am unable to get Total Remote to connect to my host.  Here are some details:

• win 10 both pcs
    host IP is known and proper in both host and total remote
    port 7009 but also tested 7004 - same port in both host and remote
    checkbox enabled in host/network remote settings
    host firewall has totalmix FX set as public - I don't know if this is proper
    remote pc firewall has total remote set as private - I don't know if this is proper
    POSSIBLY IMPORTANT DETAIL - the remote pc has totalmix FX installed along with drivers for UFX

I followed the quick guide precisely.  Host side happened as expected.

On the remote side, I have exited totalmix FX (the released version) and fireface usb settings.

When I start Total Remote, the searching for configured host controllers simply keeps looking without success.

I have tried several different iterations of setup without success.

Could my installation of TotalmixFX on this remote pc be causing some problem with the connection?  I tried reading through this thread to find others with this problem but didn't find a solution yet.

Any other suggestions helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help.  RME is Great!

Rob

The IP address entered into the TotalMix Remote seems wrong. It should be the one of the Host computer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC but I'm pretty sure I have the IP addresses setup properly.

I would like to insert a couple images but I'm not sure how....  Basically, I'm very sure that I have both IP addresses proper

host IP where the UFX is attached:  192.168.14.20
Total Remote setup:  192.168.14.20

R

Rob

When the remote is not able to ever find the host then there must be a very basic problem, most probably other than Firewall blocking. Are you sure these computers usually find themself and can exchange data? They reside in the same network? What is the IP address of the remote computer?

Using the normal TotalMix FX and an interface on the remote computer is no problem at all. Unless you use version 1.50 and have it set to be a host as well...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It is easy to disable windows firewall on both computers and see if that cures it. If it does we will know it is a firewall problem (or not)

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Correct!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll test it out turning firewall off.  I'll also make sure that both pc's can see the other on the network (that's not something I normally need to do).

R

Rob

robkress wrote:

Thanks MC but I'm pretty sure I have the IP addresses setup properly.

I would like to insert a couple images but I'm not sure how....  Basically, I'm very sure that I have both IP addresses proper

host IP where the UFX is attached:  192.168.14.20
Total Remote setup:  192.168.14.20

R

what’s the remote device it’s own adress?

www.analoguemastering.com

Raphie wrote:

what’s the remote device it’s own adress?

That's configured by the router/switch and not really relevant.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

It is relevant. If that is a different subnet then it might explain why they don't find each other.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you all for engaging.  Yes indeed the remote device address may be relevant if it was on a different subnet but I can assure you it is not.

My initial question has been answered by MC that Totalmix FX is not getting in the way here (yes, it is not 1.50 on the remote pc).

I did have a chance to disable both firewalls without success.  I believe at this time that it is something at the OS level in one of the pc's (I think Host) that is preventing it from being seen on the network by other pc's.  I know there are config parameters for that wiithin Win 10 but I am not yet an expert with Win 10 (only in it a few months now).

At this point it is enough to say that it seems strongly that this is not an RME problem and more likely a pc setup on my end.

When I find it (I'm sure I will in a bit), I'll feed back to the forum and let you all know what my solution was. 

Thanks again for the help

R

Rob

Hello All,

Ok I have function now and a little bit of understanding (though I am frustrated that my understanding is not absolute).

I was forced to disable IPv6 in order to obtain connection.  Firewall did not fix my problem of no connection (and that is currently enabled in my setup).  It was literally as easy as going into my Ethernet adapter properties and disabling internet protocol version 6.  Version 4 is still active.

As a side note, I am checking into the software in my router (mikrotik - which I really like a lot).  The notion to disable IPv6 came from a friend also using mikrotik (who has also had weirdness with IPv6 and knows of another mikrotik installation with IPv6 trouble). 

Thanks for all the help.  I could tell it wasn't likely RME.  I hope this solution wasn't already discussed and I just couldn't decipher it from the forum.  smile

Now.... if I could just figure out how to post a pic...... I would give screen shots.

R

Rob

Thanks, very interesting!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Fantastic! Thanks for the ongoing development!

Would it make sense to have an option to make Channel Layouts Client specific?
I'd like to use it for Headphone Mixes and want to prevent musicians from, say, changing
the Main Speaker volume to 0dB.

Happy Fireface UFX+, Octamic XTC and M-32 Pro user.
http://www.stoersender-studio.ch

Mentioned somewhere - user management upcoming.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Got an issue that snapshots are not recalling properly - fader levels are 20dB lower than in pre 1.50 snapshots.

And, I know you've done a lot of work with remote control, but where's the promised surround monitor section?

ProTools 11.2.2HD on Windows & Mac, FireFace802 & ARC, Artist Control, Genelec Monitoring.

Please, can we also get Talkback assignable to ANY output, be it analogue, phones, AES or ADAT?

THANKS

ProTools 11.2.2HD on Windows & Mac, FireFace802 & ARC, Artist Control, Genelec Monitoring.

As a Babyface owner I appreciate the way you keep developing TotalMix and your dedication to improving the usefulness of your products even if they are now discontinued.

As someone who's slowly transitioning to Linux even for audio, I cannot help but wonder: now that there is a TotalMix remote gui, it would be unbelievably cool to have a TotalMix that runs without gui as a demon on the machine that's connected to the hardware. In my imagination, something like that could (somewhat) easily be compiled for Linux as well and make your interfaces even more attractive to the growing Linux audio crowd (it has grown at least by 1 person in the last 6 months! :-) ).

Just dreaming out loud...

Hi all, I own Rme Ufx (one(original).. not this new 2 version) , Can I use Total Mix Remote with my ipad via network ?

www.studioton.net

Yes, of course.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

feature request... but this is a big one (and likely not part of totalmix remote).... but surely could use the same technology..

it would be nice to have digicheck running on the ipad (so i dont need to leave it on one of my other screens)
maybe not the full version of digicheck, but maybe just totalyzer or vector audio scope..
maybe one for the future! smile

_

Plans for an Android app ?  Not everyone is part of the Apple conglomerate. smile

Possibly off topic, but would it be possible to remote DigiCheck in a similar way ?

xl_audio wrote:

As a Babyface owner I appreciate the way you keep developing TotalMix and your dedication to improving the usefulness of your products even if they are now discontinued.

As someone who's slowly transitioning to Linux even for audio, I cannot help but wonder: now that there is a TotalMix remote gui, it would be unbelievably cool to have a TotalMix that runs without gui as a demon on the machine that's connected to the hardware. In my imagination, something like that could (somewhat) easily be compiled for Linux as well and make your interfaces even more attractive to the growing Linux audio crowd (it has grown at least by 1 person in the last 6 months! :-) ).

Just dreaming out loud...

I'm also switching to Linux in the future ..
Only buy Linuxtauglixche hardware ..

There is a button called Talkback on ANY output channel....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

when can we look for the next beta version, or the completed product ?

Togspots, HDSP 9652 PCI, Cubase Pro 9.5, TotalMix FX 1.5  Scarlett 18i20, i7 3.4Gh 32GB ram