Re: USB recording media recommendation for UFX - pen drives etc.

SanDisk Extreme 500 Portable 240GB Solid State Drive (SDSSDEXT-240G-G25)
Full channel 96 test 76-84 access times, ~80 percent load, not errors after two hours and drive is not even warm. Don't use the the supplied cable as it is a very tight fit.

SanDisk SDCZ880-128G-G46 Extreme PRO 128GB USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive
Same results as Sandisk above, but runs quite warm, even with the metallic body.

ORICO USB3.0 to SATA III 2.5" External Hard Drive Enclosure for 7mm and 9.5mm 2.5 Inch SATA HDD/SSD Tool Free [UASP Supported] Budget SSD case, tool free, works great with my old SSD drives when I upgrade them. Even my very old Intel SSD drives work fine.

SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ80-064G-GAM46 (Certified Refurbished)
Slightly better results in terms of access times than the 128gb, even though technically a slower model. Does not run as hot as the 128. They are selling these for cheap on Amazon through Blue Proton. They are "refurbished," lightweight.

Music can change the world.

DrDave wrote:

SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ80-064G-GAM46 (Certified Refurbished)
Slightly better results in terms of access times than the 128gb, even though technically a slower model. Does not run as hot as the 128. They are selling these for cheap on Amazon through Blue Proton. They are "refurbished," lightweight.

That's a nice and useful info, thanks. Unfortunately this offer seems to be limited to Amazon US.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

203 (edited by mjfe87 2018-08-27 15:26:41)

DrDave wrote:

Full channel 96 test 76-84 access times, ~80 percent load, not errors after two hours and drive is not even warm. Don't use the the supplied cable as it is a very tight fit.

Same results as Sandisk above, but runs quite warm, even with the metallic body.

ORICO USB3.0 to SATA III 2.5" External Hard Drive Enclosure for 7mm and 9.5mm 2.5 Inch SATA HDD/SSD Tool Free [UASP Supported] Budget SSD case, tool free, works great with my old SSD drives when I upgrade them. Even my very old Intel SSD drives work fine.

Many thanks indeed. Was this tested on UFX or UFX II/+?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

Just the plain old UFX. I actually liked the preamps on this unit.

Music can change the world.

Audio AG Support wrote:

Here some other successful tested USB drives;
SanDisk SDCZ43-064G-GAM46,USB-Flash-Laufwerk USB 3.0 bis zu 150 MB/S, 64 GB Schwarz/Silberfarben
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01BGT … &psc=1

SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Sata III 2,5 Zoll Interne SSD, bis zu 530 MB/Sek
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01F9G … &psc=1

Hi Joost, are you able to clarify whether you did indeed test these? MC didn’t have such luck. Thanks!

Eastwood Records

Anyone tried Samsung's external SSDs eg T5?

Eastwood Records

mjfe87 wrote:

Not personally, but I was just told they are quite good. Generally, SSDs will perform fine, as they don't have these issues with pausing that some USB pen drives do. The same applies to SD card readers.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:

Not personally, but I was just told they are quite good. Generally, SSDs will perform fine, as they don't have these issues with pausing that some USB pen drives do. The same applies to SD card readers.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

That’s great, thanks Daniel. They certainly work out better value per GB

Eastwood Records

I just put an inexpensive M.2 drive (128 GB, got it for 22 Euros) into a solid external USB 3.0 enclosure (Inateck, 15 Euros). Write speed on a small laptop is arround 150 MB/s, plenty... Should also work fine on a UFX.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello,
I've been using 1x SanDisk Extreme Pro Solid State Flash USB drive (USB 3.0 version) and 2 x SanDisk Extreme Pro Solid State Flash USB drive (USB 3.1 version) for at least a year for recording.  They have probably been used about twice a month, normally filling them completely, then copying the audio to another drive later for backup.  Then, I format the drives using a quick format using "FAT32 format" (GUIformat tool).  All this has worked fine until a few weeks back.  I was recording a high track-count event (32 channels at 24/96).  I started to notice the usage was going up and down (way above 100%) and many errors were noted.  I tried one of the other USB sticks, and it also produced errors, though it seemed to only produce them when the drive was almost empty, or almost full.  (These were the USB 3.1 version - the USB 3.0 seemed to be better, strangely).

So, the question is, will these sticks need replacing after a year or so of use?

Can I re-condition them in any way, or do I just replace them?  Should I format them in a different way, or just delete the audio off them?  (I'm sure the UFX+ is fine)

Other factors, it was a very hot day - but probably irrelevant.  I tried back in a studio setup and still had the same errrors with this stick.  I've also tried a full (non quick) format, but still not looking good.

Also - are the 256GB SanDisk Extreme Pro sticks recommended now?

Thanks for any advice.

Having problems formatting a new Sandisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1 stick on our Mac.  Can anyone advise?

The disk wasn't recognised by the Mac but I managed to format to ExFAT on a Windows PC.  The Mac began reading it okay but our UFX still can't read it.

I tried erasing it again following this Apple thread: https://t.co/LnfccVA0aA

However, it still won't work on the UFX sad

Eastwood Records

You will need FAT32.... There is Windows software to do this, I'm sure this thread has links.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

You will need FAT32.... There is Windows software to do this, I'm sure this thread has links.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I used OSX Terminal to format the drive to FAT32 and the UFX still says 'File System Error'. 

Should we be using the GUID partition scheme or Master boot record?

Neither works in FAT32...

Eastwood Records

Hi,
I use a Windows machine to format my pen drives to FAT32, using "GUIformat" from Ridgecrop Consultants.  It works perfectly.
Daniel

Okay I got the new SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB USB stick to work in my UFX, and unfortunately it shows inferior performance to the previous silver generation of USB stick. 12 channels at 192k pushed it over 100% and produced errors, whereas the old one still manages 16 channels at 192k at a steady 75%.

NB the new one looks like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images1000x1000/sandisk_sdcz880_128g_a46_extreme_pro_solid_state_1308399.jpg

It claims read and write speeds are almost twice as fast as the previous generation, so either I've been sold a fake, or the average write speeds aren't continuously fast enough.

Anyone else managed to make this stick work?

Eastwood Records

mjfe87 wrote:

Okay I got the new SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB USB stick to work in my UFX, and unfortunately it shows inferior performance to the previous silver generation of USB stick. 12 channels at 192k pushed it over 100% and produced errors, whereas the old one still manages 16 channels at 192k at a steady 75%.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images1000x1000/sandisk_sdcz880_128g_a46_extreme_pro_solid_state_1308399.jpg

It claims read and write speeds are almost twice as fast as the previous generation, so either I've been sold a fake, or the average write speeds aren't continuously fast enough.

That's the exact one I have, the SanDisk SDCZ880-128G-G46 Extreme PRO 128GB USB 3.1, and it works perfectly. Just recorded a live show with with 24 channels. Over 4 hours of recording time with zero errors.

I've done tests with it using 28 channels with zero errors as well. Granted I'm recording at 44.1, so if I were at 96 things might be different. But so far I'm happy.

gabo

gabo4au wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:

That's the exact one I have, the SanDisk SDCZ880-128G-G46 Extreme PRO 128GB USB 3.1, and it works perfectly. Just recorded a live show with with 24 channels. Over 4 hours of recording time with zero errors.

I've done tests with it using 28 channels with zero errors as well. Granted I'm recording at 44.1, so if I were at 96 things might be different. But so far I'm happy.

gabo

Thanks Gabo.  The stick works at lower capacity, however it would be really helpful if you can test the maximum channel count as described earlier in this thread so I can work out whether my stick is defective or not!

Thanks in advance...

Eastwood Records

I had a chance to check the DUREC recording at 192K with the SanDisk SDCZ880-128G-G46 Extreme PRO 128GB USB 3.1.

I was successfully able to record 16 channels at 192K with no issues to this USB Drive. I ran it for 7 minutes, with zero errors, and a USB load of 75%

I feel confident that this USB drive works well.

gabo

219 (edited by tom_k_d 2018-12-12 03:48:48)

I tried SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drives today, 32GB and 64GB version, 16 channels @96k on my UFXII: Not a single drop for several hours (load round 35% +/- 15), no issues at file boundaries - and they don't heat up either (I tested 4 pcs in total: 3x 32GB and 1x 64GB). I can highly recommend these, as they are tiny, too, and do not protrude more than 1 cm from the front panel!

PS: They come with FAT32 preloaded from the factory, so no hassle there either...

We heard that before. It seems the new 3.1 Ultra Fit are different compared to the former 3.0 Ultra Fit. I will buy a few to verify this. Thanks for the info.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

221 (edited by tom_k_d 2018-12-12 20:55:05)

MC wrote:

We heard that before. It seems the new 3.1 Ultra Fit are different compared to the former 3.0 Ultra Fit. I will buy a few to verify this. Thanks for the info.

Bought another one today, 64GB: Same good performance - just for fun I drove it to the limits, 16 channels @192k - operating at 90% HD, but no errors for 15min, not even at file boundaries. Wouldn't call that a save operation mode though, and indeed first errors popped up as 15min recording passed without a flaw... but with 16ch @96k there seems plenty of headroom.

Regards, Tom

tom_k_d wrote:

no errors for 15min, not even at file boundaries. Wouldn't call that a save operation mode though, and indeed first errors popped up as 15min recording passed without a flaw... but with 16ch @96k there seems plenty of headroom.

Thanks Tom.  Just to clarify, are you saying there were errors after 15min?

Eastwood Records

223 (edited by tom_k_d 2018-12-13 11:40:58)

mjfe87 wrote:
tom_k_d wrote:

no errors for 15min, not even at file boundaries. Wouldn't call that a save operation mode though, and indeed first errors popped up as 15min recording passed without a flaw... but with 16ch @96k there seems plenty of headroom.

16 channels @96k: no drops for many hours on 5 different SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Thumb Drives (3x 32GB, 2x 64GB), HD between 25% and 60%
16 channels @192k: obviously too much (HD average 90%), first errors after 15 min, however it crossed several file boundaries error free before - so file boundaries do not seem to be an issue with these, which is good to know!

Conclusion: I'd call up to 16 channels @96k a safe operation mode with the SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Thumb Drives, but would not want to stretch it any further. The charming thing about these thumb drives is their form factor - for safe operation with highest sample rates / full channel count I'd go with an external Samsung SSD, but for tracking of some songwriting or small live perfomances, the  SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 should do the job just fine. To note: Their predecessors (3.0) clearly didn't, so watch out what you buy...

Regards, Tom

224 (edited by tom_k_d 2018-12-20 16:48:11)

tom_k_d wrote:
mjfe87 wrote:
tom_k_d wrote:

16 channels @96k: no drops for many hours on 5 different SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Thumb Drives (3x 32GB, 2x 64GB), HD between 25% and 60%
16 channels @192k: obviously too much (HD average 90%), first errors after 15 min, however it crossed several file boundaries error free before - so file boundaries do not seem to be an issue with these, which is good to know!

Conclusion: I'd call up to 16 channels @96k a safe operation mode with the SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Thumb Drives, but would not want to stretch it any further. The charming thing about these thumb drives is their form factor - for safe operation with highest sample rates / full channel count I'd go with an external Samsung SSD, but for tracking of some songwriting or small live perfomances, the  SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 should do the job just fine. To note: Their predecessors (3.0) clearly didn't, so watch out what you buy...

Regards, Tom

Short update for all fellow DUREC recorders: I am just now benchmarking a 'Samsung USB 3.1 FIT Plus 64GB' thumb drive with my UFXII. The Samsung has better specs on paper (reads up to 200MB/sec, 30% more than the 'SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1') and charges your budget 30% more than the 'SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1', too... so my expectations were high - real life paints a slightly different picture though:
First, I had to format the Samsung with FAT32, as it comes from the factory with ExFAT preloaded. OsX disk utility did this job without issues (the command to do so is named 'Erase', but in fact what it does is re-formatting...)

As my expectations were high, I started with
16 channels @192k, which collapsed after a view seconds already on the 'Samsung USB 3.1 FIT Plus 64GB'.
Next I gave it a try at
16 channels @96k: HD load fluctuated between 30% and 65%, which is slightly higher and clearly more volatile (when watching the counter for a while) than on the 'SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1'. Never the less recording is running error free for over one hour now on the Samsung, too, and it crossed it's now 7 file boundaries without issues (Error count 0)...

To summarize:
For DUREC recording I still highly recommend the 'SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1' for up to 16 channels @96k.
It seems the 'Samsung USB 3.1 FIT Plus 64GB' would do this job, too, but with less headroom and at higher cost per GB...
Lessons learned: Paper specs is not enough to guarantee flawless DUREC recording.

By the way: Newer generation 'Intenso' 3.0 'micro line' sticks did not work at all (sloppy even at 4 channels @96kHz, some stop the whole recording at file boundaries), clearly avoid these for DUREC recording.

Here's a periodic reminder that in my experience, even really cheap SD card readers work very well, and data transfer is much more stable and continuous than on many pen drives...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Here's a periodic reminder that in my experience, even really cheap SD card readers work very well, and data transfer is much more stable and continuous than on many pen drives...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel.  I'm afraid I'm struggling with a decent SD card reader purchased from Amazon.  The UFX won't recognise it despite multiple attempts to re-format/partition etc the SD card.

Do you have a definitive guide to Fat32 formatting on a Mac?

Eastwood Records

227 (edited by tom_k_d 2018-12-21 16:19:02)

mjfe87 wrote:
RME Support wrote:

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel.  I'm afraid I'm struggling with a decent SD card reader purchased from Amazon.  The UFX won't recognise it despite multiple attempts to re-format/partition etc the SD card.

Do you have a definitive guide to Fat32 formatting on a Mac?

@mjfe87:
0) If you are lucky enough to still operate a good old macbook or mac with SD card slot, use this. If you use an external card reader, first make sure it actually works with your mac (Unix-like operating systems as OSX typically have the drivers for such devices integrated in the kernel - or not... if not, there's little you can do on a mac).
1) Open from your Finder: Applications -> Utilities -> DiskUtility.app
2) In the menue on the left side, select your memory to re-format; make sure you chose the correct one since all old data on it will be LOST!
3) From the menue in the upper middle section press the button 'Erase' which is actually a reformat - I stopped trying to understand Apple's logic behind that...
4) From the pop up menue which appeared, chose 'FAT32'. Note you can only chose FAT32 from the pulldown menue in case your memory is not already formated with FAT32. If it is formated in FAT32 already and you want to reformat never the less (for whatever reason), chose something else (for example ExFAT) first, then redo all steps with FAT32 in a 2nd cycle.
5) Double check you selected the right memory before pulling the trigger by pressing the 'Erase' button in the pop up, which is (again) actually a reformat, not a simple erase of data... ALL OLD DATA ARE LOST NOW on this device...
6) Once DiskUtility succeeded it will prompt you so.

@Daniel: I understand that from a performance perpective recent SD cards are typically better suited for continous write workloads, especially the video grade ones, but as long as a small USB thumb drive will do the job, it is much more convenient, since it does not require an additional external card reader. In that regard, an SD card slot on the next generation of UFXs would be very convenient...

regards, tom

A friend gave me a small double-connector Sandisk Dual Drive m3.0 to copy some files, and I thought I'd try it out...
https://i.ibb.co/zXWhwkm/WP-20190102-17-54-57-Pro-2.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/Y2TxDFg/WP-20190102-17-50-35-Pro-2.jpg

Write speeds on the PC aren't very high, only about 20 MB/s, read speed is about 130.

Recording works well, to a degree. 60 channels @ 48k are too much, the disk use percentage goes up to 100 and beyond. In a realistic scenario with all inputs recording (30 channels), the figure remains quite stable at between 40 and 50%, and there were no errors even diring prolonged recording. I think I had one error at 38 channels (all inputs and analog outputs).
Tested on the UFX, will try again with the UFX+

UFX+ results: 5 errors within 10 minutes at 46 channels (Analog, ADAT, 16 MADI).
30 channels without errors so far.

I also tested this Sandisk drive, which recently sold for €12 (64 GB), but it produced two errors within 7 minutes or so (at 38 channels), so I don't think it's really usable.
https://i.ibb.co/JQ3Cmfd/WP-20190102-17-57-33-Pro-2.jpg

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello!
I have recently tried using SanDisk SD cards with success (which were originally purchased for another purpose).
These were the 64GB type with the 95MB/s transfer and with 28 channels running at 96kHz was a maximum of UFX 70% transfer with no errors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extrem … 01J5RH06K/

However, I would like to purchase 128GB or even 256GB SD cards now I have proved this works.  Should I go for the higher spec 170 MB/s transfer (which are not THAT much more expensive!) or am I fine to stick with the 95 MB/s as they seemed to work just fine?

Please let me know any thoughts!
Daniel

daniel.lock wrote:

Hello!
I have recently tried using SanDisk SD cards with success (which were originally purchased for another purpose).
These were the 64GB type with the 95MB/s transfer and with 28 channels running at 96kHz was a maximum of UFX 70% transfer with no errors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extrem … 01J5RH06K/

However, I would like to purchase 128GB or even 256GB SD cards now I have proved this works.  Should I go for the higher spec 170 MB/s transfer (which are not THAT much more expensive!) or am I fine to stick with the 95 MB/s as they seemed to work just fine?

Please let me know any thoughts!
Daniel

Do you mind me asking which SD card reader you use and exactly how you format the media? Ie OS, format etc?

Eastwood Records

Hello,
Yes no problem.  The reader is a UGREEN one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Adapter … 01EFPX9XA/

I use a Windows PC (either running Windows 7 or Windows 10) machine to format these cards to FAT32, using "GUIformat" from Ridgecrop Consultants.  I hope this helps.

Daniel

Excellent thread..!!

DrDave wrote:

For the SanDisk Extreme 500 Portable 240GB Solid State Drive (SDSSDEXT-240G-G25) 

Which cable would you recommend? I see several variations here : https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+3.1+cabl … b_ss_i_6_7

My inclination is to choose the most modern up to date type like USB Type-C to USB-A Male 3.1 Gen2 Cable .

Any thoughts on length?

235 (edited by ramses 2020-01-06 08:35:38)

UPDTED 06.01.20: Turned out that it does not work reliable :-(

Last week it stopped two times the DURec recording unexpectedly with only around 8 tracks @44.1 kHz.
Its assumed that the drive did some kind of maintenance or whatever and then UFX+ can not buffer audio
long enough. Very sad, but this way it is not a replacement / extension to my old Sandisk Extreme USB stick.

Not recommended:

Samsung Portable T5 - 1TB - USB 3.1 gen2 UASP - Price: €177,90 @amazon.de

https://gzhls.at/i/38/31/2043831-n4.jpg

shipped with:
- quick start guide
- some software
- 2 USB3.1 cables included:
   - USB Type C to C
   - USB Type C to A (ideal for connecting the device to the UFX+)

- Height only 10,5 mm (can be put very nicely between devices in a rack)
- 3y Warranty

https://geizhals.de/samsung-portable-ss … 43831.html

AS SSD Bench results on USB 3.1 gen 2 controller:
Connected to this USB 3.1 Controller: https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/sta … 03149.html
StarTech Dual Port USB 3.1 Karte - 10 Gbit/s per Port - 2x USB-A - PCIe, ASM2142 (PEXUSB311A2)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0srr5yh39r161lp/2019-05-29-ASSSDBench-SamsungT5-1TB.jpg?dl=1

Disk preparation:
- created one partition without formatting it
- Formatted with h2format as Administrator (one big FAT32 partition: 927 GB)
- Initialization of the device with lasts 2m15sec on an UFX+ when pluggin it to the device
  927 GB take a while, I think I will therefore partition the SSD later, a smaller one for DURec, rest for other purposes

Test results:
- Recorded maximum amount of channels (76 @44.1 kHz)
- DURec recording runs very reliable at SSD loads of 73-74%
- Zero Errors after ~6h of recording up to the maximum possible length (~200 GB)
- Temperature on the surface 32°C (becomes warmer if you put it between Rack devices when there is not enough airflow

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a21s4ge1jaw8mdw/DUREC-76ch-Samsung-Portable-T5-reliable.jpg?dl=1

Optimization of partition layout:
The initialization time for such a big volume took me too long (02m15s) for quick recordings. So I repartitioned the drive with an old version of EaseUS partition master to create a smaller 100 GB FAT32 partition as 1st primary. By this the time for initialization decreased down to 15 seconds which is fine.
By this layout I have still the possibility to use the 2nd 831GB FAT32 partition for big DURec recordings, alternatively I can use the big filesystem for backup purposes of my PC or quick data exchange.

Benefits of the optimized DURec version for UFX+/UFX II:
I'ts very nice that the new version of DURec (UFX+/UFXII) supports multiple FAT32 partitions. It's possible to select the partition. The last active partition is remembered by the device which is extremely cool.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello,

I bought the ScanDisk SSD Extreme 500 - 240 GB and it is not recognized on the front of my ufx rme.

It is indicated : "File System Error".

Can someone help me, please ?

237 (edited by ramses 2019-06-04 22:26:05)

azertyvince wrote:

Hello,

I bought the ScanDisk SSD Extreme 500 - 240 GB and it is not recognized on the front of my ufx rme.

It is indicated : "File System Error".

Can someone help me, please ?

You need to partition the disk into a primary partition and leave approx 10% free for overprovisioning.
Format the primary partition with FAT32, I used h2format for this purpose.

Alternatively you could try Easeus Partition Manager Free Version, therein it could be easier to perform
the partitioning and formatting in one step.

It depends on the SSD controller some people say whether or not you need overpartitioning.
But to be on the safe side I would leave 10% free at the end of the SSD, just in case its needed.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

238 (edited by azertyvince 2019-06-05 19:12:32)

Hello,

Thanks a lot.

At the first time, i formated the disk in Fat32 format, and it's reconized.

I'll see for the partition.

239 (edited by azertyvince 2019-06-12 21:21:14)

Easeus Partition Manager Free Version asks me what clusters size ?

azertyvince wrote:

Easeus Partition Manager Free Version asks me what clusters size ?

Smaller cluster size makes less waste of disk space. The smaller cluster size is, the bigger file allocation table (FAT) will be. The bigger the FAT is, the slower the operating system works with the disk.

So if you have big files best is to use larger cluster sizes.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what … partitions

Recommended Cluster Size

According to Hitachi, the recommended cluster size for a 16GB FAT32 partition is 4KB, the recommended cluster size for a 64GB FAT32 partition is 16KB, the recommended cluster size for a 128GB FAT32 partition is 32KB and the recommended cluster size for a 256GB partition is 64KB. Note that some versions of Windows prior to Windows XP, including Windows 95 and Windows 98, don't support cluster sizes above 32KB.

241 (edited by DRUMFish 2019-09-19 16:46:57)

My Totalmix Record still shows an FS error.
I've formatted the ssd to fat32 format (no ExFat,but real fat32).
I use a samsung Evo 860 SSD.
I have created 2 partitions but it's still showing this SF error message.
Isn't the usb front port usb3 compatible as mentioned in the manual ?
I use this drive enclosure : Storeva AluSlim Silver SATA3 to USB 3.0 (USB2 compatible)
Thanks for your time guys.
Cheers,
Andre.

242 (edited by ramses 2019-09-19 16:47:54)

DURec is only available on the USB2 front port, see manual.

243 (edited by DRUMFish 2019-09-19 16:55:13)

I'm talking about the front port too.

Cross check with another device like USB stick ...

245 (edited by DRUMFish 2019-09-19 18:23:36)

I did with a san disk extreme pro 32gb, it never worked. I must be doing something wrong with the ssd but i've created 2 partitions, left 10% free, still not working.

I did nothing in particular, i just plugged the ssd in for the 100th time, guess what ... initialise disk ok.
The drive must not have a overprovisioning space & be in MBR & not GPT.
Mine was GPT, so i've reformatted in MBR main partition.
Thanks for your help guys.

246 (edited by mixsit 2020-01-06 23:14:53)

Shoot. I just bought one of these -actually as a recommended solution for on going USB recording pen-drive problems on Allen&Heath's QU and SQ mixers. (We're having terrible troubles over there..
https://community.allen-heath.com/forum … e-database

I came here looking for how to format the drive to FAT32 knowing we (you) have used SSDs on our UFXs when I came across this. (I've used the Sandisk Extreme USB drives since day one on my UFX but would like to use this drive there as well.

So perhaps now I should go back to square one, asking for guidance re FAT32 and SSD solutions?

Thank you
Wayne

ramses wrote:

UPDTED 06.01.20: Turned out that it does not work reliable :-(

Last week it stopped two times the DURec recording unexpectedly with only around 8 tracks @44.1 kHz.
Its assumed that the drive did some kind of maintenance or whatever and then UFX+ can not buffer audio
long enough. Very sad, but this way it is not a replacement / extension to my old Sandisk Extreme USB stick.

Not recommended:

Samsung Portable T5 - 1TB - USB 3.1 gen2 UASP - Price: €177,90 @amazon.de

https://gzhls.at/i/38/31/2043831-n4.jpg

shipped with:
- quick start guide
- some software
- 2 USB3.1 cables included:
   - USB Type C to C
   - USB Type C to A (ideal for connecting the device to the UFX+)

- Height only 10,5 mm (can be put very nicely between devices in a rack)
- 3y Warranty

https://geizhals.de/samsung-portable-ss … 43831.html
[edited by me]

247 (edited by ramses 2020-01-08 09:15:20)

mixsit wrote:

Shoot. I just bought one of these -actually as a recommended solution for on going USB recording pen-drive problems on Allen&Heath's QU and SQ mixers. (We're having terrible troubles over there..
https://community.allen-heath.com/forum … e-database

I came here looking for how to format the drive to FAT32 knowing we (you) have used SSDs on our UFXs when I came across this. (I've used the Sandisk Extreme USB drives since day one on my UFX but would like to use this drive there as well.

So perhaps now I should go back to square one, asking for guidance re FAT32 and SSD solutions?

Thank you
Wayne

BTW .. it was surprising for me that this happened, because I tested this SSD with max channel count and if I remember right performed this test for a longer time period where the USB load was low. Next time I will perform such tests even longer and maybe repeatedly.

Its a pity how bad some devices work like i.e. doing maintenance (or whatever caused interruption) when the unit is still doing something. There is something like a "audio" bit missing telling the controller, hey we are processing audio which may not be interrupted "do your maintenance or whatever later".

New Stuff:

Inateck USB 3.0 2,5 Zoll Festplatten Gehäuse: Unterstürtzt UASP. Entspricht aktuellen USB3.0-Standards; theoretische Transferrate von bis zu 5Gb/s
Einfache und schnelle Installation, Einbindung und Inbetriebnahme in nur drei Schritten: Öffnen des Einschubs, Einsetzen des Laufwerks, Einschieben in das Gehäuse.Werkzeuglose Konstruktion, Austausch der Laufwerke ohne Werkzeug oder Montageteile; noch bequemerer Festplattenwechsel
Zweifarbige LED, automatische Erkennung der Modi USB 2.0 und 3.0 USB 2.0 -> weiß, USB 3.0 -> blau
Chip: JMS578, unterstützt Trim. Keine Treiberinstallation. Kompatibel mit allen Windows-Versionen und Mac OS

I tested with an very old ssd 240 GB, ufx is recognised as USB2.0 and Durec works fine. A longer Test with more than one file will follow soon!

URL please wink

The Url:

https://www.amazon.de/Optimiert-Inateck … amp;sr=8-5

But it seems my ssd, an old Samsung 840 model, did not pass Long time testing. it stopped after 2 hours 24 ch. 24/41.1 and now stops every try after About 2 min. recording and starts to re-initialise hdd. very sorry, are there prooved ssd's on the market?