Topic: ADI-8 QS format conversion/routing question

Hi !

Sorry if this has been asked before. Perhaps the manual is clear but I need to be 110% sure before I make any purchase.
The manual says :
"Choosing DIG with the select key, the digital input signal is routed to the digital outputs, with the AD-conversion being deactivated."

Does this mean ADI-8 QS can format convert ADAT in -> AES out  or AES in ->ADAT out  ? 

I would like to use one ADI-8 QS for converting 8 channels of ADAT(from my UFX) to 8 channels of AES. The second unit I would like to use for converting 8 channels AES to 8 channels ADAT(to my UFX).   At other times I would like to use the two units as AD/DA.  I.e. use the DIG button to change routing when required.

Re: ADI-8 QS format conversion/routing question

Yes, it does that. If you get the QS with MADI card then you can also do bidirectional conversion AES <-> ADAT with just one unit.

If you don't need MADI and look for a cheaper solution the ADI-8 DS MK III can also do bidirectional conversion AES <-> ADAT with one unit.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have the posibility to purchase used ADI-8 QS which is probably manufactured in 2006.

Could I buy and install  a MADI card and then one unit can do bidirectional conversion ADAT<->AES ?  If that is possible it might be cheaper than two second hand units.

Yes, you can add the latest MADI card, but will also need to update the unit's firmware, and that can only be done in the factory.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What is the cost of such firmware update ?
(I'm located in Norway- outside EU)

Please ask your local distributor. I don't know if they can do that locally.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I will do. Thanks.

MC wrote:

Yes, you can add the latest MADI card, but will also need to update the unit's firmware, and that can only be done in the factory.

I did exactly this upgrade, it makes the ADI 8 QS much more versatile in my setup, but honestly spoken, it's too expensive by far... But I wanted that feature set, AD and DA in the same device, routing flexibility to all kinds of I/O. The ADI 8 QS is my "I/O hub" in the control room, also on location. But I strongly expect if there is a successor to the ADI 8 QS everything is already in the box, AVB included...