Re: Totalmix and Fireface USB Settings launch on computer startup-MacOs

This is annoying problem.
I have 2 users in my Mac.
When first user login, Fireface settings and Totalmix open automatically and when person leave session open in background, it keeps Fireface settings and Totalmix windows open, so I can't open those apps, without rebooting or ask to logout session in background. Other person is not even using those RME apps..
So, please fix that Fireface settings and Totalmix does not FORCE start automatically. Thanks!
This should be pretty basic programming and every other app works that way..

Unfortunately, this behavior is still the case with the latest version of the installed software: Fireface USB Settings and TotalMix always open a window after logging in any account on macOS Mojave (10.14.2).

We adressed this in the upcoming Mac driver that includes TotalMix FX 1.6. Multi-user support on the Mac was quite complicated to implement. Such things always turn out much more complicated than they first look like.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

54 (edited by tomateck 2019-02-06 11:24:31)

MC wrote:

We adressed this in the upcoming Mac driver that includes TotalMix FX 1.6. Multi-user support on the Mac was quite complicated to implement. Such things always turn out much more complicated than they first look like.

I'm waiting too for fix this problem. Just annoyed to see Fireface Settings to every Mac boot. I want just TotalMix self opened at osx boot.

OS High Sierra 10.13.6, RME UCX fireware connected

Thanks

Tommy

Hi Folks .. I have a mid-2012 MBP running High Sierra 10.13.5 .. I have two FF800's, one which I use for gigging, the other connected tp an Octomic via ADAT, both however using FW400 cable to connect to the MBP.

After reading a few threads on here I find that I am reluctant to update my OS to Mojave as I would still really appreciate it if my RME FF800's continued to work flawlessly should I upgrade from High Sierra.

Is it safe to update or should I stay on High Sierra ? Any fellow FF800 users on here successfully using Mojave ?

Many Thanks in advance for any recommendations, other apps on my MBP are kind of crying out for me to upgrade, but don't wish to if it means rendering my beloved FF800's obsolete !

Total Mix still appears in the dock every time the Mac Pro starts up.

57 (edited by Shannon 2020-07-23 02:44:46)

I find the automatic launch of these two applications to be highly unconventional for MacOS and quite irritating.

In MacOS, drivers run in the background. There's no reason to launch user-facing applications unless a user wants to interact with them. The only reason I should see any RME application, in the dock or the menu bar or otherwise, is if I choose to launch it or I choose for it to be launched automatically at startup.

I have a Babyface Pro FS and can't figure out what this app Fireface USB Settings is even for. As far as I can tell, I don't need it; I didn't buy a Fireface interface. I rarely need to make any changes in TotalMix; I set it up once for my needs and never need to look at it. So these user-facing applications should not be running in order for the audio interface to do its job in the background.

@Shannon

Hello!

Maybe this can help you?

https://www.mactrast.com/2017/03/automa … gin-macos/

FireFace Usb is the Driver's Settings for your BabyFace!
It's where you set sample rates, buffer sizes, ADAT options and various other settings for your audio interface!
You definitely need it!!

The name "FireFace" is there, because the BabyFace shares the same "DNA" as the Fireface line of RME Audio Interfaces!

Hope, this helps!

P.S: You could, also, have a look at the BabyFace's Manual. Lots of info in there!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

I know this thread is a bit old, but having come across it, I would like to say two things.

First, the problem discussed is real and a legitimate concern.  Apps should not have open windows unless one has opened them, or there should be an option to stop them from opening.  It is inconvenient to have not one but two unused apps constantly in the App Switcher.  This is, however, an issue one can live with.

What is harder to swallow is RME's response in this thread.  I honestly feel disillusioned with my purchase after having read through this conversation.  I have perceived a similar tone from RME in other threads, but this one takes the cake.  Perhaps it is a matter of culture or translation.  However, I would very respectfully suggest that RME think hard about how it relates to its customers in this forum.

I hope these comments are taken in the positive manner in which they are intended.

velacordovaramon wrote:

I know this thread is a bit old, but having come across it, I would like to say two things.

First, the problem discussed is real and a legitimate concern.  Apps should not have open windows unless one has opened them, or there should be an option to stop them from opening.  It is inconvenient to have not one but two unused apps constantly in the App Switcher.  This is, however, an issue one can live with.

What is harder to swallow is RME's response in this thread.  I honestly feel disillusioned with my purchase after having read through this conversation.  I have perceived a similar tone from RME in other threads, but this one takes the cake.  Perhaps it is a matter of culture or translation.  However, I would very respectfully suggest that RME think hard about how it relates to its customers in this forum.

I hope these comments are taken in the positive manner in which they are intended.

Word!

thx
Franky

I have this also.

BUT

The 2x apps do no launch on startup on Mac, they launch upon connecting the RME device. I.e. if you boot your device without RME connected there is nothing starting up.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

I've been an RME user for many years and had this annoyance too and as a result I decided to just never turn my Mac off, always leaving it on standby, and then you do not get the intrusion every time you use your computer. Anyway, I thought this bug had been fixed on the newer hardware but I just bought a RME Digiface USB and I can see it STILL hasn't been solved in all these years LOL. How hard is it for RME to add one checkbox to each app: "quit after autolaunch".

With this option, when I launch the app, it opens. But when the app autolaunches, it just quits right away. Is this rocket science?

You'd think the best audio interface company in the world with the best software and drivers in the world could respond to this user request in nearly NINE YEARS LOLOLOL

Hello, another long-time (since 2004) RME user here, on a Mac.  I love the hardware, it's rock solid and reliable.  I would however like to add my voice to this thread:

Adding an option to have the Totalmix and/or HDSP/USB apps running from the menu bar instead of the dock would enhance usability tremendously and be very much appreciated. 

The HDSP/USB Settings app in particular is the type of app that should absolutely be running in the menu bar instead of the dock. (just as it runs in the system tray in Windows)

Thanks for your attention.

I have to add my voice to this as well. I thought there would be an option to 'Start in background,' or something. It's the Fireface USB settings one that seems so unnecessary. The mixer I don't mind so much since i use my mac solely for music.

+1. Pls make this optional on Macs. It's annoying, steals focus and also unnecessary.

I guess I am at the other end of the spectrum. Reading this meant I confidently took both items out of my automatic start settings.

Hello, I have that issue on a recent Mac.
Has anyone found a way not to display those two apps every time I switch on my computer?

right mouse button on the app -> delete from dock

or what do you mean?

thx
Franky

69 (edited by Shannon 2022-12-06 05:33:38)

Setting up a new Mac Studio with MacOS 13 and disappointed that RME still hasn't prioritized a conventional MacOS user experience. Having applications I don't use open in the dock is so irritating! Every time my machine boots I have to quit these apps from the dock to clean up. I've never used Fireface USB Settings and I rarely have a need to make changes in TotalMix. It's like visual spam.

The conventional user experience would be to launch these apps in the background and make them accessible with an icon in the Status Menu (top right). There should be no RME icons in the Dock until I go to an RME icon in the Status Menu and select Open. Some apps offer options to enable/discable icons in the Status Menu, or to open the app in the dock also.

70 (edited by Noufnouf 2023-01-24 15:24:43)

Hello there, another bump here, it feels particularly ugly to get this two boilerplate icons/windows at startup (especially the fireface icon which looks like an old icon back to the 90s, absolutely awful).
It makes two useless windows that appear when doing alt tab, I'm closing it manually each time I start up my mac.
Would be better to have them closed by default or at the top right menu on the mac.
I don't understand why RME don't get it instantly it should be understood without 2 pages of explanation, sorry to be straight but guy this issue is 10 years old... seriously.
Works like a charm on Windows OS however.
Cheers,

EDIT: Just moved the two .app in a new folder "RME" in the mac app dir and it doesn't show up anymore at start up, I don't know what kind of init things this could skip but it seems to work fine for now as a quick fix.

I'm getting started with a UCX II and it's a brilliant interface, but it just sunk in there is no 'launch' option for these two full blown front facing apps.  What?
Looking at the long history of complaints it is clearly persistent, annoying and obsolete behaviour but the reps here seem to be in denial, like this is normal - it's not.  No other device I own throws up multiple apps and unsolicited windows every time I turn it on.
Does RME not want a sharp little logo in our menubars?  That's where you belong, alongside the other quiet advanced hardware UI, not popping up in our face like adware.
Anyway as my first post - thank you RME for this cutting edge little box, your UIX needs a refresh to keep up.