Topic: MIDI over MADI with UFX+ (standalone & USB2)

Dear UFXrs,

I read that, the UFX+ can be controlled via MIDI over MADI in standalone mode, at least to a certain extent. Any charitable person can help me find where the implementation of the available commands is documented?

The second related question: Is it possible to control the UFX+ via MIDI over MADI when connected to a USB2 port? In the manual I read that the MADI channels are not available for recording or playback when connected to USB2, but could not find out whether the transmission of MIDI Data is still possible (e.g. for controlling a Micstasy using the software remote).

Many thanks!
G

Re: MIDI over MADI with UFX+ (standalone & USB2)

AFAIR:
1. MIDI over MADI makes it possible to remote control devices connected to the MADI bus, not the UFX+ itself.
The UFX+ is being controlled by TM FX.
2. UFX+ in stand-alone mode can only control a few more general parameters of a MADI channel,
but it's not comparable with remote control capability of "TM FX AUX Device" or "RME MIDI Remote".

2 possibilities / general use cases for Remote Control using "MIDI over MADI" (to control other MADI devices connected to UFX+):
a) Integration of Octamic XTC as so called "AUX device"
b) Remote control by the separate software RME MIDI Remote

The advantage of Aux device: the most important XTCs settings (gain, panorama, phantom Power, PAD, Instr.) can be remote controlled inside of the TM FX instance of your UFX+. The settings can be stored digitally in an TM FX snapshot.
This is very comfortably. As of today only the XTC can be integrated as Aux Device into TM FX.

If you use "AUX Device" on one MADI channel then you can not run RME MIDI remote application anymore on the same MADI bus or there will be race conditions between MIDI remote and AUX Device comands.

To your other question. Its required that all MADI channels work to make MIDI remote possible, as MIDI remote uses unused bits of the MADI protocol. USB2 would offer to few channels, so all this can only run with USB3.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

> I read that, the UFX+ can be controlled via MIDI over MADI in standalone mode,

It can't. Where did you read that? The UFX+ is the controller, not the controlled device.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Section 28.6 of the manual, p 88:

"28.6 Stand-Alone MIDI Control
When not connected to a computer, the Fireface UFX+ can be controlled directly via MIDI.
the most important functions to control the Fireface UFX+, are implemented in hardware, thus available also in stand-alone mode."

5 (edited by ramses 2019-03-24 23:44:09)

I looked briefly .. This chapter seems to be about  remote controlling TM FX via MIDI.
This has nothing to do with remote controlling devices, which are connected to MADI, via MIDI over MADI.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The available functions are explained in that chapter, and nowhere does it say MIDI over MADI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Right, still does not make much sense to me form an engineering point of view.

MIDI over MADI is just an additional MIDI in and output for the remote control of devices and for sending MiDi data, as described in the RME glossary.

The Micstasy, XTC, etc. e.g. can be controlled interchangeabley both via MIDI & via MIDI over MADI, with exactly the same application and MIDI messages.

The UFX+ can be controlled via MIDI in standalone mode, according to the manual.

Why it is not possible to control the UFX+ with MIDI messages via MADI in the same way? Istn't it just as simple as telling the UFX+ to listen to incoming MIDI messages on a different port? Just choosing the MIDI over MADI driver from the menu?

Would this be something that can be implemented in the future? It would open up significant possibilties.

Thanks and kind regards,