Topic: Volume on recorded WAV file much lower

Hi, I am on the latest version of digicheck but when I record something, the volume of the wav file is much lower than when it was being recorded. It's not Windows Media Player levels since if I record a track playing on WMP, the resulting wav file's volume is again far lower than when it was being recorded.

Please advise, thanks

Re: Volume on recorded WAV file much lower

Is anyone form support able to advise me please? Thanks.

I could bet that this is related to settings in the windows sound system.
Get a player which supports ASIO to bypass the windows sound system entirely (Music Bee, foobar2000, ...).
Then play the wav file using this player, record and compare under these conditions.
There is even an ASIO plugin available so that Windows Media Player can use ASIO driver.

See this information in my blog area: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ia-Player/

Not sure whether this still works under Win10, but maybe worth a try.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, many thanks for the suggestion. I installed Music bee and the WAV file indeed plays at the correct volume as it was recorded.

I have checked all my WMP settings and VLC settings and they are all set correctly but both (at 100%) level still play back far lower than the normal volume. I still suspect it is Digicheck since when I play existing WAV's, for instance those in my music collection, all three players (WMP, VLC and Musicbee) play back at the same volume, it is just affecting the recorded streams via Digicheck WAV's that play back much lower for WMP and VLC.

Since I would like to stick with WMP I would like to find out what is causing this reduction in the digicheck file volumes.
Any advice appreciated!

Ok, so I have tried recording a stream with a free audio recorder and savign as a WAV. Whe I plat back with WMP it plays back at the correct volume. I then recorded the same stream with Digicheck and played that WAV file back and again itplays back much lower in volume. So I think there must be a digicheck setting somewhere that is causing it's recorded stream to be output much lower?

I must say I've not had this issue in the past with previous versions, recorded WAV's would always play back at the same volume.

Any ideas please?

aaronnt1 wrote:

Hi, many thanks for the suggestion. I installed Music bee and the WAV file indeed plays at the correct volume as it was recorded.

I have checked all my WMP settings and VLC settings and they are all set correctly but both (at 100%) level still play back far lower than the normal volume. I still suspect it is Digicheck since when I play existing WAV's, for instance those in my music collection, all three players (WMP, VLC and Musicbee) play back at the same volume, it is just affecting the recorded streams via Digicheck WAV's that play back much lower for WMP and VLC.

Since I would like to stick with WMP I would like to find out what is causing this reduction in the digicheck file volumes.
Any advice appreciated!

I wrote you already about the ASIO plugin for WMP.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by ramses 2019-07-05 18:00:04)

aaronnt1 wrote:

Ok, so I have tried recording a stream with a free audio recorder and savign as a WAV. Whe I plat back with WMP it plays back at the correct volume. I then recorded the same stream with Digicheck and played that WAV file back and again itplays back much lower in volume. So I think there must be a digicheck setting somewhere that is causing it's recorded stream to be output much lower?

I must say I've not had this issue in the past with previous versions, recorded WAV's would always play back at the same volume.

Any ideas please?

You need always to tell what driver is in use, Windows reladed or ASIO, this you didn't say.

Something sounds weired, Digicheck's Global Record is only capable to act as ASIO client,
it can't load a Windows related sound driver. With ASIO you bypass Windows Sound System.

Or do you use perhaps smth like ASIO4ALL ????

Hi, it's an RME AIO soundcard, I don't use any other sound driver on my system, all settings as shown below
https://i.ibb.co/gd77cMp/Digicheck-settings.jpg

I don't understand all this useless back and forth. Aaaronnt1: you have Level Meters in TotalMix FX. You have Level Meters in DIGICheck Record that work for both record and playback. The exact place of whereever your level is lost is super-easy to find out. Why you don't use that and tell us?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC, well I have included my total mix settings here below for you the level meters are not low from what I can see. You can see the live input levels for both Digicheck and Total mix. If it is easy to solve as you say, please then tell me, thank you.

https://i.ibb.co/QjXZym8/Digi2.jpg

11 (edited by ramses 2019-07-06 10:24:33)

You set the fader of two HW Outputs (Main Out and Analog 1/2) to +6dB (bottom row) so the signal coming out your HW outputs is +6 dB louder compared to the original signal coming out from SW playback ...

Set them to 0dB.

Hi, that didn't work, resulting WAV still plays back much lower in volume....

13 (edited by ramses 2019-07-06 18:41:09)

Was more meant as a general advice.

Back to the level meters: can you use a 1 kHz tone for a steady level and check all I/O levels so we get an idea what 'much lower in volume' really means?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, so I have taken screenshots off all levels when recording a 1kHz tone and when playing back the digicheck recorded same tone. You can clearly see the resulting loss in volume.

Recording
https://i.ibb.co/dLQbQ31/1k-Hz-recording.png

Playback
https://i.ibb.co/JCNW2X7/1k-Hz-playback.png

Hope this helps. Any ideas?

Thanks.

What happens if you record and play signal with other software, e.g. Reaper? Or load the DC recorded file into Reaper? There is no way DC can change/affect the "recording level", so this must be a playback issue of sorts.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, when I play back the wav file through Reaper (all levels at 0db), the file plays back at the correct volume, as recorded.

However, I still think it is related to DC because:

when I record with another free 3rd party Free Audio Recorder, the audio file plays back at the correct volume through any player, (Reaper, wmp, VLC etc...) but when I record the audio through DC, again, the file plays back quieter through wmp and VLC.

So something is going on I think when WMP plays back DC recorded files...as per first post.

This seems like you have some "enhancements" active in WMP. They have a Volume Leveling feature that will normalize file playback to keep all tracks at the same relative level regardless of mastered level. This normalization always reduces the level of the playback signal.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi thanks, but I already checked, there are no enhancements turned on in WMP. As I said, it only affects Digicheck recorded audio files and affects the file played by VLC as well.

So RME, will this be fixed please? It does seem to be something going on between recordings via Digicheck as it doesn't happen with 3rd party software.