1 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-13 14:08:11)

Topic: Bit Test PASS

I just ran the Bit Test (ie: Lie Detector) for the ADI-2 DAC via Logitech Media Server, and SBT.   A-OK!

Path:  LMS on Laptop-WIFI-Gigabit Router-Ethernet Conn-SB Touch-USB-ADI 2 DAC

ADI-2 Display says "Bit Test Passed"   

Love it!!

Curt

*Update - I made .FLAC copies of the Bit Test Files to see if I could corrupt the Test.   

No.  All Sample Rates/Bit Depths (ex: 32bit) were Tested w/no failures.

Nothing quite like a Hot, Steaming Cup of  Affirmation to start a Rainy Morning:)

It all sounds good because it IS INDEED functioning 100% Correctly.  I'm locking up my Checkbook as it seems there is no need to "upgrade" anything at the Front End.  Bit Perfect is as far as it goes.

Bit Test:  What a fantastic RME Feature!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Re: Bit Test PASS

After using a RME Multiface II for more than ten years, I just trust them 100% (bit for bit). They handle bits well. smile I'm not even going to check it.

3 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-13 21:01:38)

Well!  I thought it was Cool!  LMS and SBT are Hardly "new" but proved Bit Transparency via the RME Bit Test which does not grade on a "Curve" nor accept any BS.   ANY alteration of the Test Data will return a Blank Screen.   

Compare and Contrast with so many expensive Media Servers that seem to give users Fits. 

Old is Cool. smile

I did a BitPerfect test with my old Audiolab M-Dac (which doesn't suck either, it's now my bedroom DAC) years ago. Squeezeboxes are an excellent product.

5 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-13 22:19:50)

It's all Fun!!

Really fine to have a System in place to actually TEST what's happening, thus eliminating hours and hours on some BS Forum, sifting through the musings of Golden Eared Oracles who profess to be able to hear the craziest things...

Ya know..Firmware Burn-In, etc.  smile

6 (edited by Trojka 2019-06-14 10:57:39)

You know, I've thought about that phenomenon....

My theory is that in order to enjoy music (or art in general) one has to be relaxed and not too excited. It's about attention. What happens when you buy new gear or change some setting? Cognitive dissonance. You wánt something to be changed, and if lots of money is spent, changed for the better on top of that. But lots of times the change is absent, or very minimal. Anyhow, you're too excited about it. Your body tensed up by the expectations, and lack of direct and (preferably) abundant results. You're not in music appreciation mode, you're destined to hear some absent noise has disappeared, that a veil has lifted, the soundstage has opened. The more you listen for these effects, your ears get tired. Everyone who has mixed an album, knows about this phenomenon. They always sound differently with fresh ears, the next day. After listening for more than a few hours looking for minor details, everything starts to sound like crap.

So naturally, you feel disappointed. Music does not sound as good when you feel disappointed and frustrated. Then, a couple of days later, you're starting to forget about the money you spent and ease up a little. En then you play that record you know so well again. And wow....it sounds better. Why? Because you're not thinking of imperfect bits, noisefloors, all the stuff you read on forums the months prior to your purchase. You're enjoying the music. To me burn-in of cables = relaxation of the listener.

7 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-14 14:10:46)

I'm not quite sure how we got here, but "Acclimation" is the Word I like to use.  That's how Cables "Break In"  smile   People simply get used to them. Voilá!  Break In!

For me, I just had never run the Bit Test, so..I did.    Simply an RME Feature begging to be tried.   I couldn't resist.

'Getting used to them' implies there is a difference. smile

Oh but there is!!  An easily quantifiable reduction of one's Bank Balance.  smile

LOL ok smile

How we got here? I thought the Steadyclock FS topic wasn't the best place for this discussion, and it interests me. I've fooled myself in the past too.

11 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-14 15:55:09)

I understand.   I've found this Forum to be quite refreshing in that it revolves around Fact Based discussion, rather than imaginary (and hideously expensive) Audio Hocus Pocus.  As many Forum users earn their living in Professional Audio,  it simply has to be this way.   Imaginary "upgrades" don't impress their Clientele, nor does it put Food on their Tables. 

I feel more legitimately informed, and much less vulnerable to Pseudo-Tech BS since I darkened the doorstep of this group. 

Curt

So I got a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ after all...within 30 minutes I had a streamer. Already ordered a touch screen, so after tomorrow I'll have perfect replacement Squeezebox. I couldn't help running a test, USB output and regular power supply: bit perfect.

I thought the new Pi 4 is the all new uber unit that will finally allow highest sample rates and clickless DSD playback via USB?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by Trojka 2019-06-28 17:24:15)

Highest resolution rates in my collection are 24/96 (which is enough for me, in fact a well recorded 16/44 is enough for me), and I thought I didn't need a fast or powerful processor for music streaming. But to be honest, I only heard about the extistence of the 4 after I ordered the 3.

15 (edited by bejoro 2019-06-28 18:07:36)

On all Raspi up to 3B, USB and LAN share one hub. Therefore you might experience clicks or dropouts. WLAN is also not very stable at sample rates higher than 44.1. It might work for some time but both interfaces will fail eventually.

Raspi 4B has separate LAN and USB3 controllers (finally). Now it is perfect as an audio streamer.

I can also recommend the ODROID SBCs like C2, XU4Q or the new N2. The XU4Q and N2 are very performant for a simple audio streamer, but great if you want to do other things (home automation, video streaming, robotics, AI, small server, DLNA audio server like "minimserver" etc.).

16 (edited by Trojka 2019-06-28 21:51:27)

I don't use wireless, never did with the Squeezebox either, and haven't encountered any problems yet with clicks or dropouts. Maybe because I have a fast NAS and a good network with high quality routers and switches. The only thing the Raspi does is audio streaming. I've always found any resolution higher than 96 inaudible and a waste of diskspace. But maybe I'll upgrade it a 4 someday.

Just downloaded two very large test DSD files to check. DoP is indeed a problem (dropouts), converted to PCM (by Roon) however, didn't seem to be a problem though (the RME indicated 384). Which is still a lot of data.

Trojka,

The RasPi project sounds intriguing!!

I'd like to find out more!   PM/Email me some Pics of the Project.   Thanks!

18 (edited by bejoro 2019-06-29 07:50:53)

The NAS or LAN equipment quality does not matter at all in this case. It is the bandwidth limitation of the shared hub on the Raspi 3B mainboard that causes the issues. I and my customers have tested it and there were always problems eventually. That's why it is not recommended to use a Raspi up to 3B with USB-DACs. The 4B might be perfect because of better designed hardware (seperated PCI lines for USB and LAN) but this has to be tested.

But if you are ok with it, no problem.

Edit: typos

19 (edited by Trojka 2019-06-29 10:25:31)

I understand why problems can occur when there's a shared hub. In my studio I've had my fair share of conflicts in the first few years, and sometimes clicking/crackling sounds can be easily fixed by moving an interface to a dedicated USB hub. What I don't understand is, that it might lead to problems 'eventually'. They either occur, or don't.

Anyway, I've decided to move my current Raspi 3 to my bedroom (I'll add a Digiberry Hifi+ for SPDIF, because I don't have an USB DAC there) and order a 4 for the living room. That might solve a few problems at the same time.

Curt, as soon as everything is set up I'll send you a PM/mail.

'eventually' means indeed or definitely. Not 'maybe', which would be the typical meaning in German. You can check Archimago's blog for Raspi 3 performance tests with audio. So far the internal architecture was the bottleneck, not so much the available processing power. So everyone hopes 4 will be a real breakthrough.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

21 (edited by Trojka 2019-06-29 12:18:01)

I understood it as 'it will happen definitely at some point in the future', which is the right definition I believe (I just couldn't understand why it would to problems in the future, why not right now?). We will see...the 4 arrives this week. I actually ordered the Raspi after reading one of Archimago's blogs. It seemed good enough to try. I was suprised with the results.

When I read this sentence, it gave me confidence to buy the setup.

A. General Impressions
The Raspberry Pi 3 playing to the USB DAC is indeed "clean"; as in just as noise-free and "bit-perfect" as other computer-based servers sending to a good asynchronous DAC (no surprise and further discussed here last summer).

Look, it's pretty hard to find truth in this world of audiophiles. Especially if you don't have a lot of knowledge of the statistics that are posted on all of these sites. All I wanted was a good replacement for my Squeezebox, a pretty cheap device, but before you know it you're overwhelmed by statistics, terms like 'better soundstage and bass projection' and outrageously expensive equipment. I wasn't looking for a '3D soundstage' in the first place. Just plain reliable streaming without crackles, dropouts or clicks. I hope the 4 will do that. The 3 is already doing it, but just to be on the safe side I'll replace it in the living room.

22 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-29 15:34:01)

Let's Talk about "Shared Hubs"  smile

My 15yr Old Son (Bandwidth Pirate) can bring a Network to it's Knees... And I want to Stream What?  smile

A new Gigabit Router, (ASUS unit that looks like some sort of Alien Space Probe) and a Wired connection from that point to my SBT solved ALL of my issues.   No more Drop outs, etc.   It'll run 192/24 all day without a hiccup.   Great!

smile Everything, except for mobile devices, is wired in this household.

24 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-29 16:28:59)

Trojka...

Even the House Lights "Dim" when my Son is On-Line...:)

You KNOW there's a Teen in the House when the "WTF?" light on the Router illuminates...

Our ISP Loves him.  smile

Haha! big_smile Well Curt962, I only have a rather demanding wife in regard to 24x7 availability of our household network, NAS (mirrored with backups to external disks in ánd out of the house, I treat it like a 'critical' service to use an office term) and streaming services.

...and to know that there are those who would THRILL to such Luxuries as...Running Water..  smile

We're Spoiled!!

No doubt however that I want to learn more about your new RasPi!!    It seems like "SBT:  The Next Generation"

I'm interested in that Project!

Curt

27 (edited by Trojka 2019-06-29 16:58:48)

I know, but I'm still waiting for my Raspi 4 to arrive. Then I'll install a Digiberry Hifi+ to my Raspi 3, and move it to my bedroom. Then I will add a screen to the Raspi 4 and run a few tests (DSD files, just to see whether they play without dropouts). As soon as it's all running stable for a couple of days or weeks, I'll write you a report.

And yes, we are spoilt.

28 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-29 17:07:41)

Thanks Trojka!

Please keep me in the Loop!

PS:  My Oldest Son (I.T. Guy) is Raving the Pine64??

I have NO Clue.

Raspi competitor, I believe. It's probably cool if you like fooling around with this stuff. I'm an IT guy by profession, and DIY home recording artist in my spare time, but for living room listening, I like simple solutions that work. And if I understand Archimago well, even the Raspi 3 might be too fast. He likes underclocking it, as you can see here.

30 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-30 00:11:56)

Mouthwatering!!!

That is precisely my vision for an "SBT NextGen" device!

My "Convoluted Rationalizations, And Audiophile Perceptions" (CRAAP) are putting an RPI on my List!!   smile

Thanks Trojka!

Installed the Digiberry Hifi+ to the bedroom Raspi. Works like a charm. It'll limit the highest possible bitrate, but does provide a galvanic isolation. It's good enough for the bed room. Tomorrow its case will arive. I don't need a screen in the bedroom. I operate it by phone.

Tomorrow the 4 will arrive, this is a more elaborate project. Will take me more time, I guess.

Hi everyone.
I am new to this forum and also new and happy user of ADI-2 DAC.
I believe many of us are using a pc/laptop as a source. Was just curious if anyone was able to get 32bit test passed with Windows 7/10?
So far I have succeeded only with linux, Daphile in particular. Otherwise with the latest firmware and driver in both Windows 7 and 10 i am getting maximum available 24bit setting and while playing 32bit bittest wav file the ADI's screen is showing 24bit test passed. Not that I really need these 32 bits, but ... you know what I mean :-)

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25242

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I also ran the bit test- using Foobar2000 and a laptop with a 5m USB cable and extender and it passed all rates at 24bits.
I tried without the extender using two 5m cables in series and it failed. I know that the two series cables exceeds the limit set by the USB standard, but was this expected?
By the way, even with the extender the test fails under circumstances that you would expect- such as using the Foobar resampler-V on 44.1kHz, so I have every reason to trust the test.

You are under Windows. Using the two too long cables you will see USB errors in the Settings dialog. Then a failing bit test is expected. Even an accurate listening test would fail (clicks, crackle...).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for the rapid response. That you took the time to respond to this question is greatly appreciated.
I did indeed hear errors- occasional clicks/dropouts and a peculiar distortion that was hard to identify, not exactly a crackle more a harsh roughness. Yes, there were errors identified in the Windows setting dialog box. That your unit reports such things is excellent and a tribute to your engineering attention to detail.

37 (edited by Curt962 2019-07-05 15:34:01)

+1

Wynpalmer:  RME is Serious Audio!!  smile

Enjoy!!

Happy Listening!

Yay. Got the Raspi 4 working with a Roopieee beta. DSD256, DoP and not one glitch or dropout. And Bit Perfect, of course. Impressed. Gonna install the touch screen tomorrow.

You're Killin' Me Trojka!!

Sounds Exciting nonetheless!!

As soon as a RasPi 4 "Kit" is available, I'm totally there.  Mostly for making my Set Up a bit more "Future Resistant"....not for some Silly "difference" that no Human can actually hear. smile

Good Stuff!!

40 (edited by Trojka 2019-07-05 21:10:17)

Yeah, but you really like a functional touch screen (not just a basic play, stop, ff, rw with an album cover screen) and will probably have to use some kind of Squeeze player (not Roon). Just keep using your Squeezeboxes until they die, would be my advice. It's good to know there are alternatives.

Btw, some horny cricket is going ape nuts in the garden, which makes it really hard to hear glitches or crackles. But so far it seems crackle and dropout free.

Trojka,

Good Input. Thx. 

BTW: I cannot STAND fingerprints all over my gear, thus do not place my dirty fingers upon the face of my beloved SBTs, Transporter, etc.   Cleanliness is a Virtue. smile

Thx Mate!

Curt

I've been switching to my Raspi 3 & Hifiberry Hifi+ via coax to my Raspi 4 via USB to my RME with my remote in the living room, with the devices grouped in Roon. There is no delay in the music when I switch, in other words. Just a little 50ms pause of the RME switching. Both are bit perfect. It's funny, because sometimes you think you hear a 'big' difference. Then you switch back the other device....only to confirm that it sounds just like that on the other device. It's not like the low end is suddenly massive, the high end is much creamier, or the stereo field is wider. Strange thing is: when my wife switches (with me blindfolded, every time she chooses the optical channel first so there's always a 50ms delay and I have no idea if she's switching back to the original channel or the other one next)...I keep picking the Raspi 4 USB combi as the better one. It's very subtle. Kinda like the difference between DAC filters or a good quality DAC and a cheaper device. It's dangerous to define the difference, but I'd say 'bit cleaner, slightly more alive'. I'll have to repeat it on a different day. It seems weird to me.

43 (edited by Curt962 2019-07-06 13:23:17)

Trojka wrote:

IIt's not like the low end is suddenly massive, the high end is much creamier, or the stereo field is wider

Must be something askew influencing your perceptions, else you'd be describing "Chocolatey Vocals", "Lingering Glissandos", and "Limpid Pools of Shimmering Brass"

Ya know...REAL AUDIOPHILE descriptors.. smile

Ahhh...could just be that the rest of your system simply lacks the "Resolve" to hear the massive differences. smile  (Audio Dealers have used that comment to plant a Seed of Doubt in the buyer with great success over the Years)

Thx for the update Trojka.  Looking forward to some Pics of your new project!

Curt

44 (edited by maartenl 2019-07-07 12:08:56)

I use RPi Zero W with JustBoom Digi Zero pHAT as music streamer, feeding ADI-2 DAC through optical S/PDIF (support 24 bits), works like a charm.

Playing music with MPD daemon 'bit perfect' (have also converted test files to FLAC and they also pass).

ADI-2 DAC is a great DAC with great support also!

45 (edited by Curt962 2019-07-07 14:33:52)

Hallo Maarten!   Thanks for stopping by!
I was doing just fine in my Bit Perfect Bliss, until Trojka let the RPI Genie out of the Bottle...  smile

Streamers are the neatest thing, and at a very advanced level (extreme sample rates, etc)  Further, with a handful of URLs, they're quite literally a "Window" on an entire World of Media Choices.    Why stay entrenched in MY Collection, when it might be fun to hear what's on the Radio in Berlin...or Vladivostock...

Great Stuff!!

Curt

*Extreme Sample Rates.  Hmmm.   They certainly entertain the Toy Addict in all of us, but I question the actual value of SRs much beyond 96khz.    Whatever...

46 (edited by maartenl 2019-07-07 15:55:26)

Hi Curt,

Yes, it's great stuff. I am just sorting things out.

Have installed O!MPD as a web-based front-end to MPD. It's really nice and you can add internet streams (radiostations) as favourites, Have put my music collection (FLAC) on the 400 GB miniSD card I use. So a really neat and fine music streamer.

O!MPD directly manages music files and sents it to MPD player.

At the same time I installed upmpdcli (middle-layer) and MINIMServer (media server) as an alternative solution. Upmpdcli supports both DLNA as OpenHome protocols. Upmpdcli also can play web radiostations (you just configure them in a config file).

Use Linn's Kazoo as control point on my devices to play music files and radio. Both Upmpdcli and Linn's Kazoo zupport Tidal and Qobuz (next thing I will go to discover).

So at the moment I use both O!MPD and Kazoo/upmpdcli/minimserver next to each other. Both have their advantages. Not decided yet but that's not necessary since works pretty well in parallel.

Mainly play CD quality music (44.1/16), do not hear difference with HR.

47 (edited by Curt962 2019-07-07 16:10:46)

Wow Maarten,  Seems you've got things under control!

SR:  I find that the Recording Quality of the original production most greatly influences the end result.   Whatever SR that may be.  In fact, we have some low-tier MP3 Christmas Music that was downloaded as part of a SUPERMARKT promotion some years ago that is SO Enjoyable!    I think a LACK of Production is what makes it so in that particular example.    Singer>Mic>Recorder.    Nothing else. 

Nonetheless...enjoy your RasPi/RME pairing.

Curt

Hi Curt,

Thanks. Just trying things.
Agree with recording quality more important.

Maarten

49 (edited by jiw 2019-07-12 22:13:16)

From here: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=143261

jiw wrote:

Signal flow: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, macOS 10.14.5) -> SPDIF optical -> ADI-2 DAC -> USB -> MacBook Pro (same unit).

jiw wrote:

I did some more testing on this using the Bit Test.

Using iTunes as playback software and QuickTime Player as recording software, the recorded signal from the DAC is bit perfect up to 24/192 regardless of Source being Optical or USB (Rec. opt.).

The signal flow between playback and recording software is as in the original post.

For playback, iTunes was set to full volume (slider all the way to the right) and all enhancements were disabled or set such that the signal is not altered by iTunes. For recording, on the QuickTime Player, the DAC was set as the microphone and the quality was set to maximum. The sample rate and word length (number of bits) for the SPDIF output and the sample rate of the DAC were set in the Audio MIDI Setup's Audio Devices such that the word length and sample rate were those of the bit test file being played back.

Playing back the 32 bit tests using USB, shows that iTunes truncates at 24 bits as the test passes for all sample rates but only at 24 bit. Using the tests at 16 and 24 bits and also using SPDIF, as it is limited to 24 bits, the test passes for both 16 bits and 24 bits for all sample rates for both SPDIF and USB, i.e. the signal from iTunes to the DAC is bit perfect for both USB and SPDIF up to 24/192.

Thus, the signal being sent to the DAC is bit perfect up to 24/192.

The bit perfect transmission from the DAC was tested by recording the incoming bit test (and bit perfect) signal and subsequently playing the recorded signal back in iTunes. This was done both for Source being Optical and Source being USB (Rec. opt.). All the recorded bit test signals resulted in the same pass as the original bit test signals regardless of Source being Optical or USB (Rec. opt.).

Thus, the recorded signal from the DAC is bit perfect up to 24/192 regardless of Source being Optical or USB (Rec. opt.).

Relevant TLDR: Bit test pass for playback using iTunes at full volume for 16 and 24 bits using both MacBook's SPDIF optical out and USB (32 bits truncated to 24 bits). Bit test produces odd results for playback using QuickTime Player.

USB cable: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00WHZ … &psc=1
SPDIF optical cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 … &psc=1
Power strip: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00LHU … &psc=1
Power plug adapter (for proper grounding): https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007ZN … &psc=1

Hi all.

Having a lot time at home as we're all now isolated (more or less), I had discussion on another audio-forum about the bit test.
Being bored I've  bit-tested all possible file transports and digital audio paths at home. Test included  even TV paired optically with my lovely ADI-2 DAC/ passed 44.1/16.

All went quick and easy. Now I'm 100% sure that all my digital paths are Bit Perfect and no cables nor magic-tricks could change the sound. Bit perfect is bit perfect, nothing less, nonthing  more.

Easy-peasy, good fun though smile   Good for me, but not for disbelievers. Not many people there have a DAC equipped with Bit Test option + test files. Finally, not many audiophiles really understand meanning of Bit Perfect. They don't even care about it LoL!!!

Therefore, I'm gonna play more with testing digital paths. Soon I'm gonna burn test files on CD-R and test my CD transports. But to puzzle out how the testing works (as I'm not engineer) i need to ask you guys question.

I believe that the  test files available to download on RME website are identical to template files hidden somehow in my ADI. During test the files are compared if identical and no bit was changed. - Am I right? Or it works different way?

Another question is if I could modify test-file using some binary editor (let's say, changing only  single binary value 0 to 1 for example)? And then try if even one changed bit is detected by test.
Or maybe after modification the file entirely will be recognised as "unsupported file" and impossible to reply on any digital player?  Please forgive me this question if sounds silly but I'm curious and hungry for science. Please be patient, English is'nt my first language.

Kind Regards, Siemak