Topic: Buzzing using headphones. Buzzing goes away when hand touches the DAC

Hello RME fans!

I'm having a weird problem with my ADI-2 DAC FS. I hear a buzzing sound on the right channel when I use headphones. The strange thing is that if I touch the case of the DAC wth my hand, the buzzing sound disappears. It sounds like a ground issue. The DAC is connected to a surge protector.

Would you guys be able to advise me on how to solve this problem?

Re: Buzzing using headphones. Buzzing goes away when hand touches the DAC

First try it without the surge protector?
And what is your complete setup?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

This thread might be relevant: https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28558.

vinark wrote:

First try it without the surge protector?
And what is your complete setup?

I have 2 pair of headphones and a pair of IEM. The buzzing issue only affects the headphone (Sony WH-1000XM3).

My ADI-2 DAC is used as part of my headphone/speaker setup and it's configured as follows:

Computer (Optical cable) ---> ADI-2 DAC ---> (RCA cables) Vanatoo Transparent One Encore or directly to my headphones

I connected the DAC to the wall plug and the buzzing is still there. Again, I only get buzzing on the right channel of the Sony headphones.

Cheers!

5 (edited by jiw 2019-07-20 10:59:08)

As the buzzing occurs only with the Sony and not with the other headphone/IEM, the issue is most likely the connections between the Sony and other devices including the DAC.

Is the Sony connected to any other device (eg. to the computer for charging)? If yes, is that device grounded and does disconnecting the Sony from that device eliminate the buzz?

Also, connecting the computer to the DAC via USB may eliminate the buzz.

jiw wrote:

As the buzzing occurs only with the Sony and not with the other headphone/IEM, the issue is most likely the connections between the Sony and other devices including the DAC.

Is the Sony connected to any other device (eg. to the computer for charging)? If yes, is that device grounded and does disconnecting the Sony from that device eliminate the buzz?

Also, connecting the computer to the DAC via USB may eliminate the buzz.

Great tip! The buzzing is gone. Thank you all for your advice!

I've encountered another problem. After I started using the USB cable between my PC and the DAC, I started hearing intermittent sound distortions. These last for a fraction of a second and the effect is like the sound going off tune. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Through the headphones or speakers or both?

jiw wrote:

Through the headphones or speakers or both?

It happens on speakers and headphones.

It is the noise generated by a computer penetrating the USB connection. Try different USB port (most likely the one on which no other internal PC component is running).

It it does not help, go back to optical interconnection and plug all audio components including computer to a single wall electricity socket. The hum when you touch DAC should also stop.