51 (edited by avkaufmann 2019-06-21 15:11:29)

Re: DA filters on ADI-2DAC

bejoro wrote:

Hello Alex,

JRiver Media Center supports ASIO perfectly. You should use the ASIO driver if the software supports it.
Only with the RME ASIO driver you can fully use all the capabilities of the ADI-2 PRO/DAC (up to 768kHz SR, DirectDSD etc.). There is no reason to use WASAPI in JRiver MC with RME devices.

Hello,
Thank you very much Bernahrd. On my opinion, It is a really good input. Ok, ASIO is a must. Regarding an OS, do you think Linux or Mac OS is more appropriate than Windows?

52 (edited by bejoro 2019-06-21 15:51:00)

It is easy, install RME driver, choose ASIO output in JRiver MC and it works.
Windows is perfect because of ASIO and the RME driver.
Linux is a bit more difficult to configure to achieve bit-perfect playback.

If you achieve bit-perfect playback (RME bit test) then there is no difference regarding sound quality between different OS.

bejoro wrote:

It is easy, install RME driver, choose ASIO output in JRiver MC and it works.
Windows is perfect because of ASIO and the RME driver.
Linux is a bit more difficult to configure to achieve bit-perfect playback.

If you achieve bit-perfect playback (RME bit test) then there is no difference regarding sound quality between different OS.

"install RME driver, choose ASIO output in JRiver MC and it works". That is what Ive already done. But the DAC doesn't switch to external source SR automatically. I suspect two issues my define

1. Output mode adjustments on Jriver other than choosing ASIO output
2.  Windows 10 ajustments for audio output device (exclusive device operation mode or smth like this)

What will your advice about these?

Anyway having now the latest manual fro the DAC, Im going to completely re-install the DAC on my comp  and to attach the DAC to the best USB port using the manual advice.
Then, I will see how it works

54 (edited by bejoro 2019-06-21 20:51:16)

1. Usually it should work "out of the box". I do not know what you have changed in the JRiver settings, so I can not help you with that. Maybe reset the JRiver DSP settings to default and deactivate the DSP processing.

2. Irrelevant if using ASIO.

You wrote something about 384 kHz upsampling and NOS etc. So you have changed a lot and were playing around. Without knowing what you have done, it is almost impossible to help. Reset everything to default, uninstall JRiver MC with deletion of all user settings (JRiver uninstall option, checkbox) and reinstall JRiver MC again.

55 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-21 18:24:30)

Alex,

Just Slow Down, and take your time.   Some of these suggestions were made several days ago...

Bernhard is a JRiver/RME user, so...let him guide the way!

It's going to work for you too!

Best,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

56 (edited by bejoro 2019-06-22 07:18:57)

Hello Alex,

User joachim.herbert suggested in a different thread:

Uninstall the RME driver, remove the ADI-2 DAC from Windows Device Manager, reboot the PC. Reinstall the RME driver and use ASIO with JRiver MC.

This procedure might solve your auto samplerate problem. But you have to check and completely reset/deactivate the DSP Studio settings in JRiver MC.

joachim.herbert's post:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 05#p142505

But do not use WASAPI, please use RME ASIO with JRiver MC.

bejoro wrote:

Hello Alex,

User joachim.herbert suggested in a different thread:

Uninstall the RME driver, remove the ADI-2 DAC from Windows Device Manager, reboot the PC. Reinstall the RME driver and use ASIO with JRiver MC.

This procedure might solve your auto samplerate problem. But you have to check and completely reset/deactivate the DSP Studio settings in JRiver MC.

joachim.herbert's post:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 05#p142505

But do not use WASAPI, please use RME ASIO with JRiver MC.

Hello Bernhard
Thank you very much for your support and quite clear explaining!
Rgds
Alex

Curt962 wrote:

Alex,

Just Slow Down, and take your time.   Some of these suggestions were made several days ago...

Bernhard is a JRiver/RME user, so...let him guide the way!

It's going to work for you too!

Best,

Curt

Thank you Curt
Now Im going to apply the advices Ive got.

Rgds

Hello!
Now Im fine completely!!!
Thank you very much Bernhard for directing me,
Thanks Curt pushing me along the way)
SR setting works automatically (=SR in the RME driver sets equal to SR of a source signal right after playback start). I tried with 44,1 kGz and 192 kGz source signals. Before playback the DAC was set to 384 or 768 kHz.
I use Jriver/ASIO/RME driver.
Nothing special in fact had to be done to achieve the result.
I installed the latest driver and firmware on the DAC and disabled DPS output of Jriver

Perfect!!!!

Good Work Alex!!

Hello Alex,
Thank you for your feedback. Very good to know that it works as intended now.
The ADI-2 DAC (and PRO) is faboulos hardware with extraordinary firmware and driver support.
German engineering, support and build quality at its best. Have fun!

62 (edited by Curt962 2019-06-27 00:50:59)

Further thought,

Alex, You contributed much to your own Success!    Implementing the Best Advice, and not getting discouraged could only lead to a Successful Outcome! smile

Back to the ORIGINAL Question...(DAC Filters).....Try them All!!

I had been a Fan of "SD Sharp", but since your Post (and some of the great inputs received) have been using "Sharp" since 10days or so.    Perhaps it's the Linear Phase Characteristic of "Sharp" but I'm enjoying it!   My very un-biased Wife "Taps her Foot" more as well.   She's unknowingly my Audio Barometer.  (and Science supports the notion that a Younger Female has greater hearing acuity than does an older Male)  Seems Crazy, but our Family "Audio History"  HAS SHOWN that If SHE doesn't Tap her foot....something is bad, and I have made a Foolish Audio decision.

So...maybe "Sharp" is my new Favorite Filter??!!   

Happy Listening!!

Curt

Alex!  You've dropped off the Radar!  Hope all is going fantastic, and that your absence only means that you're immersed in your Music Collection.  Yes?

Say Hello!

Curt

Hello guys!
Im sorry for not answering the posts above so long)
Actually I think the task of this thread was implemented quite successfully.
Now I moved from outside to inside the topic, ready to continue personal research and gaining new experience
Once again, thank you very much for a lot of detailed help of the highest quality!
I learnt a lot about the DA conversion itself and the Magic box I purchased.
Now Im a bit busy with JL river adjustments and adding a Hi Fi sub to my configuration
Rgds
Alex

Personally I find Sharp to be the best.
SD Sharp has a bit of ringing to it, and the audio image is a bit distorted.
SD Slow and Slow have great imaging, but like others have said treble is audibly rolled off.
NOS has the same problem as Slow, and Aliasing makes the sound way too clean (almost Artificial) to my ears. Sharp is the most natural sounding one, at least with the equipment I am using.

I have the ADI-2 DAC hooked up to Heavily modded Magnepan 1.7i Speakers and 800 watt Bryston 7BST monoblock amps.

I also find the Sharp filter the best through my ADI-2 DAC with headphones.

AV!!!!

Great to see you back.  Long Time!!

Curt

For nos and slow you should use the correction
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 62#p147562

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs