1 (edited by berme_1 2019-08-07 18:28:15)

Topic: Any way to limit output of headphones on FF UFX?

After finding a brilliant solution to the "monitors go too loud at full scale" issue, here:

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

I wonder if RME has a similarly bright idea how to solve this issue on the headphone outputs?

That is - on my Fireface UFX, if my daw mix is going out at around -6dB - or if I'm playing a commercial track that's compressed to commercial loudness around 0dB - then I cannot raise the headphones output in TotalMix above around -30 to -35dB without it getting too loud.  So I'm not getting the benefit of the entire bit depth, and it's too easy to hit ear-splitting levels with an errant mouse move.

I've found no way within TotalMix to trim the max output down.  Maybe there is and I just haven't found it?

Or, just like for the monitors in the thread referenced above, are there inline attenuators suitable for use between the UFX and headphones of a qualitythat will not color the sound?  Even if there is a software method within TotalMix, a hardware limiter may be preferable for certainty sake.

Or anything else?

Thank you.

Re: Any way to limit output of headphones on FF UFX?

You have set the Phones outputs to 'Low'? There is no way to limit the output otherwise.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by berme_1 2019-08-07 21:12:04)

MC wrote:

You have set the Phones outputs to 'Low'? There is no way to limit the output otherwise.

Thank you for such a quick reply.

Yes, on the Settings tab, Level set to Low already.  Forgot to mention that. 

Now, I did find a hack work-around - which is to open the Dynamics tab, turn it on, set the compressor and expander ratios to unity and turn down the input Gain to -20dB.  Then I can have the volume fader up to -10 to -5 comfortably.  But I this doesn't seem a great solution.  Probably all I've done is shift the bit-depth reduction from the output fader to the compressor input gain knob.

No such thing as an in-line attenuator for headphone-level signals?

There is no need to worry about bit resolution as this won't change sound or cause distortion. As long as you can't hear the noise floor everything is ok.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is no need to worry about bit resolution as this won't change sound or cause distortion. As long as you can't hear the noise floor everything is ok.

Wait - so this is a way to attenuate the output with no loss of sound quality?  Very interesting, thanks. 

So, could this be applied to the "Level mismatch solutions" thread in Tips & Tricks?  I'll post this and some follow up questions there, since apparently that is a more common issue for other people.

MC wrote:

Wait - so this is a way to internally attenuate the output with no loss of sound quality?  Very interesting, thanks. 

So, could this be applied to the "Level mismatch solutions" thread in Tips & Tricks?  I'll post this and some follow up questions there, since apparently that is a more common issue for other people. (Apologies if I repeat part of the question there for the sake of those only following that thread.)