1 (edited by adi 2019-08-15 05:37:13)

Topic: Dropouts

I received a new Adi-2 DAC yesterday, and plugged it into my music/gaming system via USB. Windows Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362. I am using the motherboard USB port. It is an ASUS X99 Deluxe II.

I played back a variety of things including some wonderful stuff from Anonymous 4. No observed problems. Very nice is all respects.

Then I downloaded the latest MadiFace Driver version 0.9684 from RME and installed it, and also updated the firmware.

Then I played back the same source material.

Dropouts very frequently.

Went in and removed the ADI 2 Driver and went back to using the Windows default and am back to nice sound.

Can anyone give me some help on what to do with this so? Or do I have to use the RME driver only when I update the firmware?

Please advise.

Re: Dropouts

I was having dropouts and did a factory reset the adi-2 dac and it stopped the dropouts.

3 (edited by adi 2019-08-16 22:31:29)

dontworknomore wrote:

I was having dropouts and did a factory reset the adi-2 dac and it stopped the dropouts.

Thanks, that helped considerably. I'm still getting some dropouts but now I can see a relationship between them and other things I'm doing on the computer at the same time. Hopefully I'll be able to ameliorate that.

Followup: Some pruning of preloading software with Microsoft Autoruns got rid of the remaining dropout issues.

Very happy now.

Hello, a friend of mine has just received an ADI 2 DAC and he has the same problems described in this thread, with Windows 10. Lots of dropouts. Tried a factory reset and loaded the latest firmware but it doesn't help. On another pc, with Windows 7, no problem. Any suggestion is welcome. Thank you

Seems to be related to Windows 10, but which Windows 10 please .. Windows 10 is about 5y old and got a lot of upgrades.
1709, 1804, 1809, 1905 what do you have please.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by fmsabba 2019-08-23 22:49:45)

It's Windows 10, 1903
Are you suggesting to revert to a previous version?
The problem was also present with version 1809

7 (edited by ramses 2019-08-24 05:54:57)

Fallback to 1809 makes no sense when the issue was there already.

Are you using the RME ASIO driver ? Which version ?
Which mainboard do you have ?

Are you using USB ports coming from Chipset (Intel or AMD) or from 3rd party USB chips ?
Pls try all USB2 and USB3 ports.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

PC is an Asus ZenBook UX431

9 (edited by ramses 2019-08-24 07:23:32)

What energy profile do you use ? Make sure that you use the Energy profile "High power" not balanced or energy saving.
Try all USB ports.

Maybe also see post #2 in this thread. Not sure to what specific setting this should be related, but simply try.

Is this a Win10 preinstallation from Asus/factory ? Some preinstallations deploy crap tools from manufacturers for system management which at the end are badly programmed and steal much performance.
I would perform a new deployment and leave out all updating / driver management tools. Only use Intel or AMD Chipset Driver and drivers for the usual things: Graphics, USB (if needed for 3rd party chipset), Network (LAN/WLAN), mousepad

Avoid to install add-on tools bundled with open source software.
Avoid to configure auto update services for tools / deactivate them.
Deactivate Operation of dynamic icons in windows startmenue, which run instantly in the background.

Measure / remeasure with LatencyMon before / after optimizing.
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Use tools like O&O Win10 Shutup to harden Win10 against loss of privacy, along with that you also reduce services / startup of programs that only satisfy Microsofts demand to "steal" your data.
https://www.oo-software.com/de/shutup10

You can try to use Bitsums "process lasso pro" to priotize audio related programs and to put the Laptop into energy saving power profile automatically if you are not using it for a certain amount of time.
https://bitsum.com/

Use the fast and reliable Disk Imaging Software "Macrium Reflect" to perform backups of your system, so that it is easy for you to change back to the previous state should a change be not successfull. Only this ensures that everything from a change is full backed out (also from registry). Do not trust Microsofts own tools which at the and neither have the same performance and functionality.
https://www.macrium.com/products/home

Thank you very much for your help
Will try