UPDTED 06.01.20: Turned out that it does not work reliable :-(
Last week it stopped two times the DURec recording unexpectedly with only around 8 tracks @44.1 kHz.
Its assumed that the drive did some kind of maintenance or whatever and then UFX+ can not buffer audio
long enough. Very sad, but this way it is not a replacement / extension to my old Sandisk Extreme USB stick.
Samsung Portable T5 - 1TB - USB 3.1 gen2 UASP - Price: €177,90 @amazon.de
- quick start guide
- some software
- 2 USB3.1 cables included:
- USB Type C to C
- USB Type C to A (ideal for connecting the device to the UFX+)
- Height only 10,5 mm (can be put very nicely between devices in a rack)
- 3y Warranty
https://geizhals.de/samsung-portable-ss … 43831.html
AS SSD Bench results on USB 3.1 gen 2 controller:
Connected to this USB 3.1 Controller: https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/sta … 03149.html
StarTech Dual Port USB 3.1 Karte - 10 Gbit/s per Port - 2x USB-A - PCIe, ASM2142 (PEXUSB311A2)
- created one partition without formatting it
- Formatted with h2format as Administrator (one big FAT32 partition: 927 GB)
- Initialization of the device with lasts 2m15sec on an UFX+ when pluggin it to the device
927 GB take a while, I think I will therefore partition the SSD later, a smaller one for DURec, rest for other purposes
- Recorded maximum amount of channels (76 @44.1 kHz)
- DURec recording runs very reliable at SSD loads of 73-74%
- Zero Errors after ~6h of recording up to the maximum possible length (~200 GB)
- Temperature on the surface 32°C (becomes warmer if you put it between Rack devices when there is not enough airflow
Optimization of partition layout:
The initialization time for such a big volume took me too long (02m15s) for quick recordings. So I repartitioned the drive with an old version of EaseUS partition master to create a smaller 100 GB FAT32 partition as 1st primary. By this the time for initialization decreased down to 15 seconds which is fine.
By this layout I have still the possibility to use the 2nd 831GB FAT32 partition for big DURec recordings, alternatively I can use the big filesystem for backup purposes of my PC or quick data exchange.
Benefits of the optimized DURec version for UFX+/UFX II:
I'ts very nice that the new version of DURec (UFX+/UFXII) supports multiple FAT32 partitions. It's possible to select the partition. The last active partition is remembered by the device which is extremely cool.
X10SRi-F, Win10 Pro 1909, Cubase, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/R BE, RayDAT, ARC USB