Topic: Link adi2dac to preamp

Is it possible to link the adi2dac to a preamp ? Currently I have the dac linked to the poweramp but I have a pre-amp I used to use and wonder if I can make use of the preamp with adi2dac.

Re: Link adi2dac to preamp

Hi! smile
You can read those threads:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29029
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29388

In a nutshell: if you don't need analog input, don't bother with a useless preamp between your power amp and the ADI-2 DAC; this machine is a very good and transparent preamp: smooth digital volume control, dynamic loudness, adjustable B/T, EQ corrections, 4 hardware levels automaticaly switchable (Auto Vol Ref), remote etc.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Of course you can. Set the output level of ADI to the matching input level of your preamp (e.g. 2 V - you will find it in its documentation). It is better to diable the AutoRefLevel and to lock the volume level to avoid accidental changes.

To get least affected signal it is good to disable EQ and loudness as well as bass and treble.

4 (edited by Jas0_0 2019-10-07 18:53:31)

Hi @ashmpatel - there are two quite differing camps on this forum about whether a preamp is necessary in the audio chain from a sound quality perspective.  Some say that if you don’t need analogue inputs, then a preamp just adds unnecessary boxes and distortion.  Others say that the preamp can improve subjective sound quality.  The arguments can get quite heated, so my advice would be to try both suggestions above and see which works for you.

My experience was that I started using a preamp, then started switching back and forth undecided on which sound I preferred, then realised I liked the cleaner more detailed sound without the preamp.

Though your experience might be different.  By all means try the EQ, treble and bass adjustment with a preamp in the chain as what matters most is what sounds best to you.  The the great thing about the RME DAC is that you can adjust to your heart’s content, knowing that you’re using a very high precision instrument.

Hi.

Thanks for the replies.

What does the AutoRef level do ?
Currently, default setting is 13db, I then have the volume on the display showing -45.
So thats moderate listening level.
I have the dac connected directly to the poweramp.

What should I set the AutoRef level to  to get better SNR or the default is fine ?
I see a few articles saying vol should be 0 but that would be very loud !

For a pre-amp connected I should set the AutoRef to 7db and Vol to 0 ?

Thanks.

6 (edited by ramses 2019-10-17 16:51:58)

If you set "Auto Ref Level" to ON (its a switch ON or OFF), then the Ref level (+19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu)
if the analog output is being chosen automatically by the DAC depening on your Volume setting to achieve optimum SNR.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks. I'll just leave AutoRef to ON.

Yes.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13