Topic: ADI-2 DAC as endpoint for HDSPe AIO?

Hello friends,

I've been using RME HDSPe AIO for years as my main audio interface of DAW workstation, with studio monitors directly wired to its XLR outs, volume being controlled via TotalMix by MIDI CC7 main volume (using custom script for old Faderport 14bit CC);

I wonder if it would be worth it to get ADI-2 DAC as a dedicated preamp for the studio monitors (hooked via ADAT from AIO) and what would be best use for its features?

I can read the manual indeed, but I would like to hear some personal opinions on this matter

cheers
~T.

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

2 (edited by ramses 2019-10-14 18:03:21)

Re: ADI-2 DAC as endpoint for HDSPe AIO?

Read a few of my blog articles in regards to ADI-2 Pro / DAC:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cbersicht/
- RME ADI-2 Pro/AE/DAC High-End Conversion - Integration into your Setup (EN/DE) (new)
- RME ADI-2 DAC - a DAC and Headphones Preamp like no other (EN/DE)
- RME ADI-2 Pro - High-End USB DAC, Multi-Formatkonverter und Kopfhörerverstärker (DE/EN)
- ADI-2 Pro erweitern für TotalMix und ARC USB Support (DE/EN)
- Review Audeze LCD-2, LCD-X, LCD-3 am RME ADI-2 Pro
- Pimp up your Shure SRH 840

Amazing product, don't hesitate to buy and try it out.

I would choose the ADI-2 Pro FS for studio, because it has an A/D and two D/A converter. More conveniant i.e. if you want to test two phones ... and it also supports AES and higher studio levels.

The ADI-2 DAC is perfect in front of a HiFi, be it amp or preamp.
But you can also use the ADI-2 DAC if you want.

Sound quality is superb. Dynamic Loudness works very nice for me if I listen silently to music and need to work for my job at the same desk where my recording corner is.

I have both, here my setup roughly:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2251-03-ADI-2-DAC-Overview-Room-Cabling-v2-jpg/

Some devices changed ... BluRay player is now an Oppo wink

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2231-02-ADI-2-DAC-4-ALL-jpg/

Or whats also possible .. in terms of combining Recording Interface and ADI-2 Pro
- using ARC USB
- using TotalMix FX Remote via Windows Tablet
- testing different converters
- testing difference with or without preamp on the HiFi amp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ns66x3bs08brmb/Digiface%20USB%20for%20galvanic%20isolation.jpg?dl=1

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

many thanks for the illustrative ideas and links @ramses , I'm going through them, glad to see them being real layouts and not just concepts,

I have a separate recording studio (FF UFX + Octamic D + Octamic II), and separate mixing/mastering-friendly place (HDSPe AIO), so I really don't need AD conversion or AES features there, on the other hand DAC' remote volume/dim control could be handy feature smile

seeing the setups, I wonder if you attempted to plug DAC via USB into some NAS like Synology, for direct music playback without computer? I'd use ADAT to connect DAC to PC, so I'm thinking about options to make use of the USB class-compliant input meaningfully...

Reaper, High Sierra

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-01 19:17:11)

Sorry no NAS available here, too expensive for my taste.
Am doing this in a different way with internal and external USB 3.2 gen 2 disks and UASP.
This costs less and gives me more throughput for the single client.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

so, I got it hah!
phew I didn't expect difference compared to my old trusty HDSPe AIO to be so HUGE!
I've read through the manual completely (nice work RME folks - I like the way you actually explained your design choices and functions), I'm yet to learn more about the filters - yes they clearly sound different, I will experiment with what will sound best to me;
manual is well written, for my taste maybe not complex enough to yet "know more", menus aren't that difficult to navigate, I'd say TotalMix FX is more difficult yet I have no problems with it either smile

one question though - any "step by step" guide for room correction using the internal 5-band EQ?
I'm familiar with Genelec measurement solution, IK ARC, Sonarworks and others, but I wonder what's the best approach to ADI-2 DAC setup? obviously there needs to be separate L & R curve, but since there is no way to "import" any measurements, is there some sophisticated way rather than guessing by measurement curve image? especially when Q factor of EQs by various manufacturers/processes is not always same by design?

Reaper, High Sierra