Topic: Adi2profs USB

Hi,
I want to use the adi2profs as a sound card plus want to patch an external compressor. Is it possible? Do I need the adi2 dac too?

Re: Adi2profs USB

ADI-2 Pro FS: has only 2 D/A converter which are already being used for Monitors and Phones.
ADI-2 DAC: not possible, has no analog inputs.

Combination of recording interface and ADI-2 Pro would be best and then integrate the ADI-2 Pro FS into your environment:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

The recording interface will give you then on top a nice routing software TotalMix FX.
And then you can also integrate an ARC USB into your setup:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ort-DE-EN/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

now im running a 9632 and monitoring analog via dangerous source.
i have a Rupert Neve RND compressor which i want to patch for mix bus and listen through ADI-2 Pro FS.
Since ADI-2 Pro FS is 2 channel only its not possible for 2nd pair out to dangerous source for monitoring.
in this case my idea is:

1. mix bus monitoring and print: 9632adat out>ADI-2 Pro Fs adat in>patch the Compressor by xlr analog both i/o, ADI-2 Pro Fs adat out>9632adat in>back to daw for listen and print.
2.for all time tracking i want to connect 9632 spdif/aes out> Dangerous source OR to ADI-2 DAC spdif in.
i want to know is the ADI-2 Pro Fs and ADI-2 DAC has the same DA converter?

4 (edited by KSTR 2019-10-16 20:41:20)

It's perfectly possible with the  Adi-2 Pro via USB, it has 4 DAC channels (two stereo DACs) and 2 ADC channels.
Insert the compressor (or just cables for testing) between CH1/2 and ADC1/2 input (adjust ref-levels and volume of CH1/2 as required), then route the ADC signal to CH3/4 to monitor with phones (or amp+speakers, with TRS to 2x XLR adapter) using the volume control on CH3/4.
And yes, DAC and Pro use the same DAC chips (AK4490), DAC has one, Pro has two of it.

Technically it would work, but operationally such a setup makes no sense to me.
Usually you use the 2 stereo outputs for monitor and phones and you will switch between those.
Makes no sense to me having to instantly plug and unplug either monitor or phones to be able to connect the compressor.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Technically it would work, but operationally such a setup makes no sense to me.
Usually you use the 2 stereo outputs for monitor and phones and you will switch between those.
Makes no sense to me having to instantly plug and unplug either monitor or phones to be able to connect the compressor.

The sense is the high quality conversion of the ADI and no need to spend extra $$$.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

7 (edited by firubbi 2019-10-17 16:31:54)

as KSTR said the i/o setup will be:

1. RME 9632 adat to adi2profs adat i/o
2. RME 9632 spdif to adi2profs spdif i/o
i'll toggle between adat and spdif

3. to patch the external compressor analog out back panel XLR to Compressor and back to back panel XLR analog input (Using adat) and print the mix bus.

4. for tracking  ill connect the front panel (L Bal R) TRS to Dangerous Source analog input.

if this works i don't need another DAC.

thanks

Sorry I mixed something, can you provide a drawing please ?
TBH .. I lost track of what you want to cable how ...

Hi Ramses,
finally I got my adi2profs ❤. It's a bit complicated for new user to find everything. I think rme should do a YouTube a-z. I've tried to hook external compressor through 9632 spdif it's working nice. And love the sound. Connection is straight. Any digital in will go to all out and analog in will go to all out. Didn't like the 12v adapter... Power went on n off several times... Connection is loose I guess. I'm sure it's not made by rme. Didn't tried adat and 2nd analog out. I'll need help for that. Current software version is   . 90 so do I need to update?
Many thanks to rme for black Friday discount ❤

The power adapter needs to be plugged straight in and then turned to lock it tight.
I think this is also documented in the manual.

For each use case a youtube video is IMHO much too time consuming, who has the time to watch this all ?  Its better to read the manual about routing and capabilities.

For some things youtube is great but it's not an **efficient** source of information for everything. In a PDF manual you can also perform keyword search. On YouTube you mostly sit there waiting, whether relevant info is coming or not.

Thanks Ramses... Adapter problem solved. Can you help how to select adat in ad/da output. Spdif is working nice. Did the same setup in totalmix for adat but no sound. Software playback and hardware output is showing ok but no signal in Adat input in totalmix. Also Clock is showing spdif in settings in totalmix.