Topic: ADI-2 pro fs connection

Hi, I just ordered ADI-2 pro fs. currently using Rme ucx with arc . I have some questions:

1.Will everything will be provided in box to connect adi-2 with ucx ?
2.Do i really need to keep Ucx for connectivity to my daw?
3.Will adi-2 pro outperform ucx in terms of Asio/latency performance if im able to use it as interface ? Because my ucx is having hard time keeping up with the heavy loads of vsti/ fx in 256 samples latency.
Or should i get a pci card for better performance? If so which one should i get with least spending? As i already invested much in adi-2 pro.
Thank you!

Re: ADI-2 pro fs connection

1) You'll need a Toslink or RCA cable
2) No
3) Neither device will "keep up" in any way, they do not render or process Plugins. Performace is a matter of your PC, not of the audio interface.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

U mean i need too buy Toslink cable additionally? What are the cables included in adi-2 pro fs box? My product is yet to arrive from Eu.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-10-22 15:39:49)

See manual chapter 2.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

It says  Digital breakout cable AES/SPDIF (BO968) included. Would that be enough to connect with ucx?

RME Support wrote:

1)
3) Neither device will "keep up" in any way, they do not render or process Plugins. Performace is a matter of your PC, not of the audio interface.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I meant when i hear pops and clicks in a running project ,i just increase the buffer length and its gone. But i dont like to work in high latency. I heard pci-e card handles those situation better. So its a matter of asio driver performance on different devices right?

Just have a look at the breakout cable. It gives you additional I/O ports that would otherwise have no space on the device itself for mounting.

Now you need a connection cable to connect the two devices digitally. Daniel already wrote you that you can use TOSLINK or RCA cables. This refers to ADAT (or optical SPDIF protocol) or koaxial SPDIF.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Alright. So i need two Toslink cable for AD/DA conversion ?
Sorry i am new to digital connection stuff.

9 (edited by ramses 2019-10-22 19:37:01)

sajid.shihoron wrote:
RME Support wrote:

1)

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I meant when i hear pops and clicks in a running project ,i just increase the buffer length and its gone. But i dont like to work in high latency. I heard pci-e card handles those situation better. So its a matter of asio driver performance on different devices right?

RME USB driver are as efficient as PCIe, at least on modern systems with powerful CPUs. I compared RTL's (Round Trip Latencies) between different RME solutions and the outcome is, that RTL of USB2/3 FW is compareable to PCIe based solutions, see this table which I created:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

Its more a matter of your system, how efficient / reliable it can transport audio from I/O port to the application and vice versa. The smaller the ASIO buffer size, the higher the CPU and interrupt load and context switches.

There are many things that can slow down a system and forcing you to choose higher ASIO buffer sizes than normall required.

On a well designed and tuned system you can achieve such applications: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … cks-de-en/

This is only one example what can make a difference in terms of PC settings: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … orderlich/

Thanks ramses

11 (edited by ramses 2019-10-23 06:19:41)

You're welcome.
I also found some reviews of other recording interfaces where the RME ASIO driver had a smaller RTL
compared to other vendors.

If you do such comparisons, take care to compare same ASIO buffersize at the same sample frequency.
The higher the sample frequency the lower the RTL (but the higher the stress on the system,
as a higher amount of data has to be processed in the same time interval).