1 (edited by bjp 2019-10-28 15:20:42)

Topic: USB direct or network bridge?

I will by purchasing an Adi 2 Dac once units are again available in the UK. Not sure what the current delay is but none of the suppliers have any in stock.

I have some questions about the best way to connect the Adi 2 to my system via USB.  I run Roon Rock on a Nuc computer.  On the basis of advice from Roon that it is best not to connect the dac direct to the nuc computer, I use an Allo Usbridge (running Dietpi) which acts as a Roon endpoint. Thus the dac receives its data via ethernet and through the usbridge avoiding the potential for electrical noise which might be a problem if connected to the nuc directly. I have two questions:

1. Will the Adi 2 work connected to the usbridge?
2. I understand that the Adi 2 is good at filtering out usb noise, so is the usbridge necessary or can I expect direct connection to the nuc to work just as well?

Re: USB direct or network bridge?

If I were you I would try the simple way (directly on your computer) and see if I have some "electrical noise".
I must confess I have never heard such noise, with different computers and different USB interfaces. Maybe I am lucky?

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Raspberry pis up to version 3 have hardware issues that forbid them to act well for usb audio. So you will hear hiccups(noises).
You can connect rpi 4 usb directly to ado-2 dac/pro and should have no usb issues if you set things up properly.

N00b wrote:

If I were you I would try the simple way (directly on your computer) and see if I have some "electrical noise".
I must confess I have never heard such noise, with different computers and different USB interfaces. Maybe I am lucky?

He is using rpi which has known usb issues

Thanks for these comments.  The Allo usbridge is not based on a raspberry pi but rather a 'sparky' sbc. This does not share its usb and ethernet busses which is I believe the problem with the pi. I am therfore hopefull that it will work with the Adi 2 dac.  It certainly is very good with my current dac.

6 (edited by mark2748 2019-10-28 18:28:18)

FWIW, I do not yet have an RME ADI-2 DAC or Roon, but I do run the USB output of an Intel NUC8i5BEH directly into an iFi nano iOne DAC (which feeds powered monitors).  The NUC does double service simultaneously as a Windows 10 desktop machine and foobar2000 or MusicBee player, mainly with 16bit 44.1KHZ ripped CDs.  I have never heard noise or clicks, even when internet browsing or working with usual office apps.  The player CPU load is typically 1-2%, barely visible, so I think it is well worth a try without a USBridge in your case if the NUC and DAC are in close proximity.  But since you already have a USBridge, maybe you could do a double blind listening test and report back!

Bjp,

Welcome to the Group!!   Trust that your wait for Product Availability in the UK will be justly rewarded with the exceptionally fine RME ADI-2 DAC.

I can't comment too much on USB "Noises" nor offer suggestions, but my ADI-2DAC is connected via USB to a 10yr Old device (SBT) and I have experienced absolutely NO problems whatsoever.   

Happy Listening, and Welcome Aboard.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I have an ADI-2 connected to my Allo USBridge. I tested  directly on my NUC Roon server.. definitly best with Allo.
All is in wifi mesh (NUC, Allo and Synology). And NUC is on WIN10 with ProcessLasso and MinorityClean (with a DC iFi Purifier).
Allo is connected with a simply USB Audiophonics cable with an iFi Silencer.

ROON on Lenovo > Allo USBridge > RME ADI-2 Dac > Audia Flight FL100  / Recital Audio Define HEFA

Allo Usbridge works flawlessly as Roon endpoint (or as naa with HQP) with my Adi-2 dac.
Iā€™m very happy.

What a great forum! All my questions answered within 24 hours.  Thanks guys/gals, it seems I should be able to look forward to plug and play in my system with my new Adi 2 Dac - once I can get hold of one.

Bjp..

Indeed a Great Forum!  Even more so with the Forum's ability to solve problems you never had, with a device you don't yet posess!!   smile   Amazing!!!

I suggest you first take Noobs advice, and plug your ADI-2DAC Straight in.   See how that goes.  Most often...it's Perfect.

Leave the Add On Gadgetry for another time.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I use a Small Form Factor J3355B-ITX and case, soldered on CPU a Intel celeron. Bit bigger than a NUC but you can add a better network card or video. I chose a add intel nic. As the CPU has on board video and you have HDMI connection.
Had a slight ground loop so bought an iFi Defender 3 which resolved that. Do have a MAC also but stuck with PC.
Runs Roon using always on power management, disable screen going to sleep (careful if you have a TV susceptible to burn in) then disable power management in uefi bios.
Using Asio drivers setting Roon to native driver. To compare I also have a Pi 3b+ running Allo DigiOne Sig but prefer the Asio/ Native driver sound. That being said I blind folded myself and had a helper differences are subtle on PCM but with DSD very noticeable for me anyway.

AWESOME product so glad I stumbled across review leading to purchase
Listening to records less then ever...