Topic: Octamix XTC connection to PC

Hi All

We have a UFXII connected via USB to Win10 PC running Totalmix, with Octamic XTC connected to UFXII using midi in/out and ADAT in and ADAT out. Solid ADAT green led shows on status display of both UFX and Octamic devices. UFXII is master (internal) and Octamic is slave served via ADAT.

When I used to look at settings in TMFX, I would see Octamic XTC as a device on a tab next to UFXII tab. That seems to have gone now, i.e. I only see the UFXII device settings. Then I realized I had removed a USB cable from Octamic to PC. This cable had been used to update Octamic firmware a couple of weeks ago, but then I removed it cos I thought only necessary for updates?

So here is my question: with the above setup should I always have Octamic XTC connected via USB cable to my PC?

Thanks for your input!

cheers
plank

Re: Octamix XTC connection to PC

You need the XTC PC cable only for upgrades.
Simply connect by ADAT cables and MIDI cabling for remote control (-> AUX device).
You should configure the XTC as so called AUX device, then its integrated into TM FX like a channel strip.
Then you have configuration options in the ADAT channels for the XTC that can be safed in a snapshot.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks ramses. I will not replace this usb cable then until its time for a firmware update on the XTC

You can leave the USB cable connected.

But you might need to look or keep an eye on, that you could get WDM devices now by different mechanisms:

a) based on the recording interface (-> WDM devices)
b) based on the XTC itself, because its class compliant

I do not connect my XTCs to the PC, because I want to get rid of unnecessary cables.
I use another USB2 cable for the ADI-2 Pro FS, which I keep connected for updates or to test special DAC features.
So this extra USB2 cable serves different purposes, which is fine by me.
But more USB2 cables I would not connect to the XTCs, because its simply not required.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Super Infos wie immer ramses; vielen Dank!
Could I ask a question about WDM; I did read the manual, but Im no computer expert, actually I only play the guitar, but I seem to be becoming the "guru" for RME setup in our band rehearsal room. But I don`t feel like an RME "guru" at all!
So WDM is windows audio tool, which can connect multiple streams according to connected equipment...I followed your instructions when setting up UFXII to Octamic on a Windows 10 PC. In TMFX I selected only the first WDM with a check mark and did not check the other boxes. I think that I did this in order to be able to use the PC for listening to the internet/iTunes/PC audio. Is that right?
Obviously I don't want to mess up the XTC connection by adding a USB cable to the PC and then Windows might try to use WDM to connect with the Octamic. I don't want this! I want only 8 channels of Octamic to go to the DAW via ADAT to UFXII to TMFX.
Is that correct?   Or can I uncheck all WDM boxes (i.e. no WDM)?

WDM drivers are only required for the OS and applications that do not support ASIO.

My monitors are connected to the ADI-2 Pro FS, which is connected to the UFX+ AES OUT port.

Therefore I need to create a WDM device in the RME driver settings dialog for the AES ports.
The WDM submenue has also a TAB called "Speaker".
When selecting the AES port there, then a speaker symbol is being created in Windows Sound settings.
This you can configure as standard audio device for Windows and its applications.

To sum up, WDM devices are only required for applications which do not support ASIO.

So if a Windows Application without ASIO support would need access to my Mic connected to Mic9 IN, then I would need to create a WDM device for Analog 9+10. Then I can access the Mic via the WDM device for this port.

When recording with your DAW, then your DAW simply has ASIO support.
You select the ASIO driver in your DAW.
Then you can access all ports of your interface.
And the XTCs ports you can access via the ADAT inputs and outputs of your recording interface.

And if you should configure AUX device for remote controlling the XTC, then you can access things like Phantom Power, PAD, Gain, Phase through the input channel and store the settings completely in snapshots (Snapshot 1..8 in TMFX or into a file on disk or you can also use Workspace Quick Select).

Thanks ramses

Its a bit clearer now, but I still struggle to apply your knowledge to our setup.
This part is different to me:

"When recording with your DAW, then your DAW simply has ASIO support.
You select the ASIO driver in your DAW.
Then you can access all ports of your interface.".

We are using Studio One V4 as DAW on Win10 PC. When I start Studio One, I select "MADIface_USB" as the driver.
Even though we have a UFXII interface, the manual states that this is the correct driver...
I could also choose the option "ASIOforAll", which is a free program I once installed.
Are you saying I should use the ASIOforAll driver instead of MADIFace_USB?
Confused!

cheers
plank

8 (edited by ramses 2019-11-12 19:11:20)

Use the RME ASIO Driver for your UFX II, this is the MADIface driver, in the application its named "ASIO MADIface USB".

Forget about ASIO4ALL  .. its for special cases where you want to combine different sorts of audio drivers (ASIO and non-ASIO) and then ASIO4ALL is an additional layer on top and then talks ASIO protocol to the application.
BUT .. its not a real ASIO driver. Its an additional Layer which creates additional latency and does NOT directly interact with the RME hardware.
Its i.e. a workaround for people who bought USB micros which they get not connected otherwise. They can not plug it to a recording interface. And a DAW can only load one driver. As this is usually the ASIO driver of their recording interface the USB interface could not be used. But then comes ASIO4ALL and brings ASIO driver and the driver for the USB Micro under his hood and mimicries an ASIO driver to the application that gives access to all audio devices (with ASIO and non-ASIO driver).
But this is NOT a solid setup, please do not use ASIO4ALL, for a professional system I regard this as a bad design (not to say crap) as it creates an additional layer and it makes vender support impossible, as there is something in between, which no vendor would ever support.

Crystal-clear answer; thank you very much for your help ramses!
Before next band rehearsal I will delete the ASIO4All and make sure we always use ASIO MADIFACE_USB driver
in Studio One.
Im pleased to be making progress in my understanding of RME hard and software, if a little slow. So thank you for your patience too

cheers
plank

You're welcome, good luck, you can always ask here on forum.
At the beginning many things might be new to you.
But with increased knowledge it will be more and more easier for you to understand.
Its no rocket science at the end and you will make progress.