Topic: Problem using ADI-2 DAC with Audirvana playing FLAC files

Got a new ADI-2 DAC used with W10 USB. Not possible to use it with Audirvana playing 24 bits FLAC  tracks.  It looks like the bitrate get changed to 32 bits and the sound is distorted. Any work around?  Is it possible to limit the bit rate to 24 bits in the DAC?

Re: Problem using ADI-2 DAC with Audirvana playing FLAC files

Hi Aja,

I use Audirvana with the ADI-2 Pro via USB and it plays 24 bit files fine, so there is hope.

Worth checking a few Audirvana settings.  Make sure upsampling has been turned of (for now, just to troubleshoot problem).  And have you set Audirvana to Extreme mode?  Also has the Audirvana volume been disabled?

Jas0_0 wrote:

Hi Aja,

I use Audirvana with the ADI-2 Pro via USB and it plays 24 bit files fine, so there is hope.

Worth checking a few Audirvana settings.  Make sure upsampling has been turned of (for now, just to troubleshoot problem).  And have you set Audirvana to Extreme mode?  Also has the Audirvana volume been disabled?

Thank you for helping.
I am still using the trial version3.5.1  Upsampling is deactivated. I cannot fine the Extreme mode setting in Audirvana.
I am using the ASIO MADIfase driver.  In Audirvana I only have the «Maximum audio volum limit» to set, no disable setting.  I find it strange that Audirvana shows 24/48 KHz down to the left in the screen and 32/48 KHz to th right.
The track is 24 bits.

After more testing I found out that the DAC is not the problem. I have the same problem when I stream from my NAS to my Denon AVR-X7200WA with built in DAC. It must be something with Audirvana software and my 24 bits FLAC files. Can you recommend an other software with the same features?

Jas0_0 wrote:

Hi Aja,

Thank you for helping.
I am still using the trial version3.5.1  Upsampling is deactivated. I cannot fine the Extreme mode setting in Audirvana.
I am using the ASIO MADIfase driver.  In Audirvana I only have the «Maximum audio volum limit» to set, no disable setting.  I find it strange that Audirvana shows 24/48 KHz down to the left in the screen and 32/48 KHz to th right.
The track is 24 bits.

I had the same with bitrate using Audirvana, but my sound wasn't distorted in any way. Shouldn't be an issue sending a 24bit signal over 32bit..? Does it do the same under WASAPI (for me it did)? Foobar2000 doesn't seem to have this issue. I wondered if it's only an error in display (since I had no sound distortion).

7 (edited by Olli 2019-11-12 20:19:02)

Hi,

I am also using Tidal with Audirvana and it is absolutely flawless!
The display of  32bit is no issue, but normal.
You may refer to the following thread an watch out for the answers of MC.
He implicitly delivers the very simple reason for it there:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28996

What about the 16bit FLACs in Tidal. Do they also deliver distorted output?

Cheers
Olli

RME ADI2-DAC FS | Intel NUC8i7
Rotel RB1582 MKII amp
Infinity Kappa 8.2i speakers
Audirvana player

I have tested both WASAPI and ASIO the problem with distorted sound on some files persist.  I can manually fix the problem by setting the sample rate in the driver, but then other files get distorted.  I have now tested the Amarra Lux software from Sonic Studio and the problem is gone. smile

Thank you for helping.