Topic: ADI-2 FS DA performance vs other FS units

Just seeking clarification regarding the DA on the ADI-2 FS. In the product description it states that the "The analog inputs use the advanced circuit design of the highly acclaimed ADI-2 Pro," and "The ADI-2 FS also uses the conversion technology of the ADI-2 Pro". Does this mean the performance of the DA on the ADI-2 FS is not equivalent to the performance on the ADI-2 DAC FS and the ADI-2 Pro FS?

I'm seeking to invest in 2 channels of as good quality AD/DA (particularly DA for monitoring) as I can afford to partner with my current RayDat setup, so don't need any of the USB or filter features of the Pro and DAC.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-11-12 21:22:42)

Re: ADI-2 FS DA performance vs other FS units

Did I understand you correctly ?
You are worried, that the ADI-2 FS is "only" equal in "quality" to the "ADI-2 Pro", but not the ADI-2 Pro FS / ADI-2 DAC ?
Can you please detail what you worry about exactly ? Is it SNR or what do you mean ?

If you look into the manual of all 3 products and compare, then you will see how close these products are in terms of technical data. Please consider, that there are some differences in the board layout between ADI-2 FS and the other two products, which could explain small deviations.

Despite of this, IMHO you get an excellent unit for the price with the ADI-2 FS.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by mpike 2019-11-13 07:48:49)

You have completely misread my message. When using quotation marks " " you should be using quotes! I never used the word "only" or "quality" or discussed any concern about whether the ADI-2 FS was equivalent to the ADI-2 Pro but not the ADI-2 Pro FS. If you work for RME I highly recommend you take more care when reading comments and replying.

My question which you have half answered was simply: the input on the ADI-2 FS is stated in the marketing materials to be the same as the rest of the ADI-2 range (i.e. Pro, Pro FS), as the output is not mentioned in the marketing materials is there a significant difference in the design and performance of the output of the ADI-2 FS to the ADI-2 Pro & Pro FS?

I am already aware it doesn't have any of the filter switching features and is configured to be the fastest and most accurate mode available in the Pro version. I am just intrigued as to whether the cost savings to offer the ADI-2 FS at such a low price also meant cost savings on the audio path of the output, not just savings from removing all the DSP, USB, screen, encoders etc. etc.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-13 07:58:21)

> You have completely misread my message.

Therefore I asked back to get it right wink

Well, if my workaround to compare technical data from manual (which are very accurate) is not feasible for you,
then you need to look whether RME kindly answers your question or wait for reviews or test both units side by side.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The FS does not have 4 output reference levels, and no fully balanced and dc-coupled output circuitry behind the DA, and a simplified headphone output. So it is not identical to the Pro/Pro FS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you Matthias! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Is the DC coupling the cause of the discrepancy in frequency response at higher sample rates?

This looks like a superb converter and likely is exactly what I need as all my work is carried out between 44.1-96khz.