Topic: UFX 3 comming soon?

Hi, I own a UFX and was thinking of adding a UFX+, but since a month or less, I see that all UFXs are on sale... so I was thinking, is there a UFX 3 around the corner?  Should I wait?   Anyone knows?

Re: UFX 3 comming soon?

The sale is due to holidays, not close out. Nothing in the pipeline to replace this in the next years.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

So maybe something new will come when the new USB4  comes onto the scene.???

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-30 10:55:49)

I'm not so sure whether USB4 will be required for a typical RME recording interface.

RME manages to transport:
- 68 channels IN and OUT via USB2 (MADIface pro).
- 196/198 channels IN and OUT via USB3 (MADIface XT).

The UFX+ currently has 94 Channels IN and OUT.

What could be missing for a new improved UFX+ and which still fits into 1 RU ?

If MADI would be replaced by AVB: 30+128 = 158 -> would still be possible with USB3 aka USB 3.1 Gen 1.
If AVB would come one top: 30+64+128 = 222, that might be too much for USB 3.1 Gen 1.

But why USB4 ? There is still USB 3.1 Gen 2 available, which delivers double bandwidth:
USB 3.1 Gen1 = 5 Gbit/s
USB 3.1 Gen2 = 10 Gbit/s
After USB 3.1 there are still other options like i.e. USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 with 20 Gbit/s.
USB 4 would support 40 Gbit/s. Looks like an overkill in Bandwidth for a typical recording interface.

I would assume, that RME would switch in such a case from USB 3.1 Gen 1 to Gen 2, but not USB4.
USB4 would be too new, special , expensive and would require PC upgrades, wouldn't be customer friendly.

It will be interesting anyway into which direction the market evolves in terms of MADI, AVB, Dante.

Or whether there will be products to combine old and new technology in one unit, i.e. MADI and AVB
if customers want to combine existing MADI and new AVB equipment.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The UFX+  is Thunderbolt 1.  An adapter is needed to to use it with today's Mother Boards and even with an adapter some compatibility issues still occur. with certain Mother Boards.

UFX+ x2 ; Babyface Pro x2; UFX Original;  Windows 10 64 bit ; Intel core i9 9900KS CPU; 64 Gig DDR4

But maybe one of the octamics will have an upgrade in the near future? wink