Topic: Is the ADI-2 Pro suitably powerful for the Audeze LCD-4?

Sorry, I'm not very technical. I would appreciate some assistance.

I have an ADI-2 Pro, and am on the edge of getting a pair of Audeze LCD-4s. Using the high power mode with two inputs on the ADI-2 Pro, would it be sufficiently powerful for the LCD-4s?

I asked Audeze and they seemed unsure (although it seemed as if they didn't know much about the ADI-2 Pro).

I think the relevant technical specs for the LCD-4s are here https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-4

Thank you.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-11-28 00:15:52)

Re: Is the ADI-2 Pro suitably powerful for the Audeze LCD-4?

Of course 200 Ohm is not that much, I think high power mode will not be required.
BTW .. I have the Audeze LCD-3 (110 vs 200 ohm, drivers assumed to be equally efficient).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have an LCD-3 and I find it drives it perfectly well (seems far more powerful than the LCD-3 requires), but I don't properly understand the technical details (I bought the ADI-2 Pro because a friend who is a digital audio engineer highly recommended RME to me) and Audeze suggested that while the LCD-3s ran fine on the ADI-2 Pro, the LCD-4 may not.

Sorry - side question - I have high power mode / dual cables for my LCD-3. Is there is a disadvantage to having it on?

The sensitivity of the LCD-4 seems to be around 89 dB SPL at 1 mW RMS. For an impedance of 200 Ohm, the maximum output power of the ADI-2 Pro's symmetrical Phones connection is about 1700 mW RMS (manual p. 81). This gives a possible peak SPL of about 125 dB SPL (122 dB SPL RMS).

In terms of voltage, the sensitivity of the LCD-4 seems to be around 96 dB SPL at 1 V RMS which gives about 94 dB SPL at 0 dBu. For an impedance of 100 Ohm, the maximum output voltage of the ADI-2 Pro's (unsymmetrical) Phones connection is about 9.2 V RMS (21.5 dBu) (manual p. 81) giving a maximum output voltage of 18.4 V RMS (27.5 dBu) using a 200 Ohm load on the symmetrical Phones output.

Using the unsymmetrical Phones connection gives about 5.5 dB less maximum SPL since the maximum output voltage is (almost) halved (9.75 V RMS (22 dBu) v. 18.4 V RMS (27.5 dBu)).

Thus, the ADI-2 Pro should be more than powerful enough to drive the LCD-4 to your desired listening levels unless you listen at very high levels even using the unsymmetrical Phones output.

Manual: https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/downloa … rofs_e.pdf

RobHu wrote:

I have an LCD-3 and I find it drives it perfectly well (seems far more powerful than the LCD-3 requires), but I don't properly understand the technical details (I bought the ADI-2 Pro because a friend who is a digital audio engineer highly recommended RME to me) and Audeze suggested that while the LCD-3s ran fine on the ADI-2 Pro, the LCD-4 may not.

The LCD-3 is about 7-8 dB more sensitive relative to power (96-97 dB SPL at 1 mW) and about 9-10 dB more sensitive relative to voltage (105-106 dB SPL at 1 V RMS or 103-104 dB SPL at 0 dBu).

Thus, if you use the LCD-3 at a volume lower than -10 dB on the RME, the ADI-2 Pro should be powerful enough for the LCD-4.

Similarly, you can also try to estimate how loud the LCD-4 connected to the RME can become, by using your LCD-3 at a volume setting of -10 dB (I recommend approaching it from a good bit below since it will be very loud).

RobHu wrote:

Sorry - side question - I have high power mode / dual cables for my LCD-3. Is there is a disadvantage to having it on?

Do you mean balanced connection of phones ? According to manual DSD direct is not possible with balanced phones.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you jiw.

Ramses: Sorry, I may not be using the right term - at present with the LCD-3 I'm using one of these https://www.dysonaudio.com/products/dys … le-adapter

Mark from Audeze said "you might need a balanced cable with them instead of single ended?" I think that is what I'm currently using?

My cabling looks like this http://www.slowley.com/balanced.jpg (actually the long cable is a bit different as that one broke to Audeze sent me a fancier looking one, but you get the idea)

I currently listen at like -30db to -20db ish I think.

Thank you for all your help everyone.

RobHu wrote:

Thank you jiw.

Ramses: Sorry, I may not be using the right term - at present with the LCD-3 I'm using one of these https://www.dysonaudio.com/products/dys … le-adapter

Mark from Audeze said "you might need a balanced cable with them instead of single ended?" I think that is what I'm currently using?

Mytek seems to not follow the same convention for symmetrical connection as RME. From the manual of the Manhattan DAC II:

Headphone Output Section, Dual Mono, with Balanced Operation mode. Top jack connects unbalanced
phones in absolute phase. Bottom jack connects unbalanced phones in absolute out of phase. A
special 2x 1/4” jack to 4 pin FXLR allows for connection of single balanced headphones.

Thus for that adapter, tip on red is L+, ring on red is R+, tip on black is L-, ring on black is R- and sleeve on both red and black is ground.

For the RME in symmetrical phones connection (manual p. 41), tip on Phones 3/4 is L+, ring on Phones 3/4 is L-, tip on Phones 1/2 is R+, ring on Phones 1/2 is R- and sleeve on both Phones 1/2 and 3/4 is unconnected.

Thus, using the mentioned cable while using the RME in symmetrical Phones connection gives L+/- to the positive and R+/- to the negative input of the connector. So you would have mono on both sides but one side inverted.

However, you might also have this cable intended to be used with the RME: https://www.dysonaudio.com/collections/ … le-adapter

Try using symmetrical connection and enabling M/S-processing. If nothing changes, you have got the wrong cable.

Oops sorry - yes I do have the one you mentioned. The one I actually bought was this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-Audi … SwTM5Yu19X ... sorry, I had trouble finding the order in my email (it was from a long time ago) so I just used google image search to find the cable, but I got posted a different one than the one I had here.

So, I don't need "M/S-processing" do I? As I think I have the right cable?

RobHu wrote:

So, I don't need "M/S-processing" do I? As I think I have the right cable?

If you have the right cable, no. You can still use to find out though if you are in doubt.