Topic: UFX adat out and Central Station

HI all,
Well I'm quite stumped here. I have an RME UFX (Lates OS and firmware) running under OSX. I am trying to connect the ADAT out to the Toslink input of the Presonous Central Station for monitoring. It doesn't work. It doesn't play nothing. I have tried using ADAT 1 and 2 out, I've tried switching the Fireface Settings from ADAT2 OUTPUT from ADAT2 to AES/SPDIF and no luck

YET,....when I plug my old blue babyface into the USB and switch over the ADAT connecter from the UFX to the Babyface,...BOOM....works perfectly!?

Whats the go?

I somewhere remember this not being an issue a few years ago but is this common now? Is there a workaround?

I've tried connect the UFX to USB and Firewire,...no luck
I've tried to reset the Central Station no luck.
I've tried different cables

What could it be?

Re: UFX adat out and Central Station

It does not accept ADAT, so you have to set ADAT2 to SPDIF format. And then you need to route the signal to that Hardware Output channel, which is AES (=SPDIF), not ADAT2, in your DAW and TotalMix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by Hylton 2019-12-04 07:11:47)

Thanks Matthias, are you saying that the Central Station doesn't accept ADAT? (It does from the babyface and I'm convinced it used to work)

Are you saying just take the AES XLR output and route it to the RCA SPDIF input of the Central Station? OR will the light pipe work?

4 (edited by ramses 2019-12-04 08:51:51)

Hylton wrote:

Thanks Matthias, are you saying that the Central Station doesn't accept ADAT?

Pls look into your central station manual and search for ADAT, then you will find this information:

"Follow the same instructions for Toslink devices. Toslink is a type of stereo, digital, optical S/PDIF connection found on many consumer audio devices. While the Toslink jack is similar to the ADAT Lightpipe connector, it is not an ADAT port."

So its clear by this that Presonus Central Station is only able to talk SPDIF (not ADAT) protocol on its optical port.

Hylton wrote:

(It does from the babyface and I'm convinced it used to work)

Maybe your babyface was already set to SPDIF format in its driver settings dialog and routing was already fine by occasion.

Hylton wrote:

Are you saying just take the AES XLR output and route it to the RCA SPDIF input of the Central Station? OR will the light pipe work?

Please read posting #2 more thoroughly, it contains all that you need to know to configure your UFX properly.

If MC talks about setting ADAT2 to SPDIF, then it should be clear that its all about the ADAT2 optical port. It needs to be set to optical SPDIF protocol, because the presonus device only supports optical SPDIF.

Next thing is to route audio to the proper HW output as MC told.

So in TotalMix FX:
1. Check that you are in submix mode.
2. Click to the correct HW output (see post #2). Now you see the submix for this particular HW output
     by looking at the fader position of HW Inputs and SW playback channels.
     If a fader is raised then it sends audio to the HW output (if there is an audio signal).
     I suggest you concentrate on those channels where you see audio ..
     A little tip, see (*) below
3. Raise the faders of HW inputs and SW playback channels that you want to hear on the presonus device.

(*) On the right side under "Layout Presets" there is a button sub, which you can toggle. It shows you, which audio channels are part of the submix (which send audio to the HW output that you selected in step 2).

From the RME manual:

The button Sub activates another useful special view. When in Submix view, Sub will cause all channels to disappear that are not part of the currently selected Submix/Hardware Output. Sub temporarily shows the mix based on all channels from Inputs and Playback row, independent from the current Layout Preset. That makes it very easy to see and to verify which channels are mixed/routed to the current output. Sub makes checking and verifying of mixes, but also the mix editing itself, a lot easier, and maintains perfect overview even with lots of channels.
BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The old Babyface does not have that button. In fact the whole Channel Layout panel is not there, it makes no sense with the few channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, thanks, didn't know.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks everyone.
After an immense amount of frustration, I turned the Central Station off and ON again (Pulling out the plug as it has no power switch)

Bingo!!!