Topic: Madiface driver not installing properly on windows 10 laptop

I have tried many times today uninstalling and reinstalling the Madiface driver for my new ADI 2 DAC but Windows 10 refuses to see it as anything other than ''Analogue 1+2' , and not as an ASIO device.

My Cambridge audio DAC works perfectly as as ASIO device for TIDAL streaming, but TIDAL again only sees the RME DAC as 'Analogue 1 +2' with everything going through the windows audio chain and sampled at whatever windows is set to.
The high quality Tidal Masters are at 88.2 which the Cambridge DAC ASIO was quite happy to switch to automatically.

Foobar on the other hand does see Madiface as an output option....

Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue with RME and windows 10 ? (Laptop less than 2 years old).

Anyone got any suggestions??

Thanks

James.

Re: Madiface driver not installing properly on windows 10 laptop

Not sure what you'd expect. Windows won't see an "ASIO device" - if you run ASIO software, you should see the ASIO driver, however. You may need to look at what Tidal is doing here, I don't see anything apparently wrong on the RME side, and there are no known issues...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Tidal does not support ASIO to my knowledge. Roon does, and if you use Tidal from within Roon it will use ASIO as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your very prompt replies gentlemen.

Yes, Reaper sees the Madiface.

But windows insists on calling the ADI 2 'Analogue 1+2' (not Madiface ASIO) and is just sending it the windows audio, not offering any opportunity to bypass windows audio by using ASIO.

I can only compare it to my Cambridge Audio DAC -  I bought the DAC, plugged it into my laptop,  downloaded the ASIO driver , ticked a couple of boxes as instructed and it worked first time with Tidal (and Foobar) . It bypasses the windows audio and switches sampling rate depending on what Tidal is sending it. (which looks to me like Tidal using ASIO?)

That's all I expected the ADI 2 to do.
It's just a  domestic hifi,  which I think is what you are aiming this product at. It should just work!

If the Cambridge works perfectly and the RME doesn't,  my feeling is that the issue is with the RME.
Or rather the driver which is not working properly? In device manager it says 'device not migrated' - perhaps this is a clue?
I've got the little square fire icon at the bottom of the screen - should I have anything else? Totalmix for example?

Your further thoughts on the matter would be most welcome.

Thanks

James.

james.birtwistle wrote:

But windows insists on calling the ADI 2 'Analogue 1+2'

That is the correct name of the WDM device that Windows sees and uses. I doubt that the Cambridge WDM devices have 'ASIO' in their name.

james.birtwistle wrote:

(not Madiface ASIO)

Once again: Windows Audio system does not support ASIO.

james.birtwistle wrote:

and is just sending it the windows audio, not offering any opportunity to bypass windows audio by using ASIO.

Neither does your Cambridge DAC. There is a Windows method called WASAPI (Exclusive) which can switch sample rates, but this is not supported in our driver. You can uninstall the whole RME driver and use the DAC without it, with Windows' own drivers, then this will work. I am not using Tidal so can't guarantee that solves your problem. We had mixed feedback so far (as a search in this forum would show).

The driver-less mode is explained in detail in the ADI-2 DAC manual, chapter 20, Driver installation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for your attention to this Mattias, greatly appreciated.

I've done some further investigation
Cambridge Audio DAC shows as 'CA USB Audio' in Windows and in Tidal.
In Foobar it is CA USB Audio ASIO driver.
You are right, the Cambridge is not using ASIO with Tidal, but it is avoiding the windows audio volume controls and switching sample rates as required. (This is presumably the Wasapi you mention)

The RME works fine with Foobar, switching sample rates as determined by what foobar is playing.

However with Tidal the RME (Analogue 1+2) appears to be resampling everything to whatever rate is set in the little fire box window.
Tidal  plays at 44.1. RME says 48. Tidal plays at 88.2 RME says 48. (or 88.2 if I change it manually.)

With the RME driver uninstalled the outgoing sample rate appears to be fixed by whatever is set in windows. (and without the driver there's no ASIO for Foobar)

Is this all as it should be?? Is that how it's supposed to work?

Because if it is I have spent a lot of money on the wrong box.

As a domestic listener I want to listen to various different things at different sampling rates without having to worry about switching anything.
In a studio it's fine - you set your sampling rate for the project and forget about it. But at home I might want to listen to a CD, a 48 wav , a 44.1 stream. an 88.2 stream and then a 44.1 wav, all one after the other, with minimum fuss.

My point being that if the ADI 2 is aimed at the high end hi fi user then it's not really doing the job is it?
It should be effortlessly extracting the highest quality possible from whatever it is presented with.

Unless I am missing some fundamental point it appears that  my £150 Cambridge DAC can deal with whatever it is presented with far more elegantly that the £850 RME. Can this be right? Or is it that the ADI 2 is really a studio device which has not yet been fully adapted for domestic use?
I was attracted by the high quality D/A and the DSP possibilities but now I'm puzzled and disappointed.

Your further thoughts would be much appreciated

James.

Hi James,

maybe you find it helpful to read the following along with the surrounding threat:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 82#p147582

Bottomline: The ultimate setup if you want to use Tidal is to use a piece of commercially available software (player)
which enables ASIO support for Tidal.

I think it is not appropriate to put the blame on the ADI2-DAC. For me it is more of a shame that the Tidal-App doesn‘t
support ASIO, especially since they have a big claim to deliver highest quality audio material...doesn’t fit together nicely.

Cheers
Olli

RME ADI2-DAC FS | Intel NUC8i7
Rotel RB1582 MKII amp
Infinity Kappa 8.2i speakers
Audirvana player

Thanks for this Olli.

I'll look into Audirvana.

I really didn't want this to turn into a nightmare of research and user forums  and so on. I just wanted to plug it in and listen to music!!

Do you understand what is happening with the USB input when the ADI decides for itself on the sampling rate for you, regardless of what's being presented to it?? Is it just resampling the Windows audio?

I'm not really blaming the ADI 2 - just pointing out that the hifi type demographic of purchasers might want it be able to extract the highest quality possible from laptop streaming. (Like the Cambridge does!)
Cheers

James.

Hey Olli - great recommendation on the Audirvana! Tried it for free for a couple of hours and then bought it.
Pity to have to buy more things to make everything work but now the RME does exactly what it ought to do!! Changes its sampling frequency depending on what Audirvana sends it. And sounds lovely.I even think the implementation of Tidal layout is better on Audirvana. Thank you very much.

Matthias - next time you get people like me unhappy with the RME as a streaming tool you can tell them about Audirvana. Or go into partnership with them!

Happy now

Cheers

James.

hi matthias,

when will your dac work with standard windows drivers to use WASAPI (Exclusive)? the cheapest audio convertes support this option like this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0779S … &psc=1

right now you need to use converter to bring tidal high-res audio bit-perfect to your dac.
as writen before: all other dac's like mytek, cambridge, ifi work fine with standard windows audio drivers to use WASAPI (Exclusive) for dynamicaly changing the sample rate.

11 (edited by KaiS 2022-02-24 14:15:31)

stefan.huber wrote:

hi matthias,

when will your dac work with standard windows drivers to use WASAPI (Exclusive)? the cheapest audio convertes support this option like this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0779S … &psc=1

right now you need to use converter to bring tidal high-res audio bit-perfect to your dac.
as writen before: all other dac's like mytek, cambridge, ifi work fine with standard windows audio drivers to use WASAPI (Exclusive) for dynamicaly changing the sample rate.

This is already answered here:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 95#p147995

MC wrote:

...There is a Windows method called WASAPI (Exclusive) which can switch sample rates, but this is not supported in our driver. You can uninstall the whole RME driver and use the DAC without it, with Windows' own drivers, then this will work. I am not using Tidal so can't guarantee that solves your problem. We had mixed feedback so far (as a search in this forum would show).

The driver-less mode is explained in detail in the ADI-2 DAC manual, chapter 20, Driver installation.