Topic: v2 Availability?

I notice that I can't order the ADI-2 DAC from RME direct and they are backordered on B&H. Is this because of the inventory turnover for the v2 model? If so, when will v2 be available for purchase?

Also: people are discussing a new remote with v2 but the RME website shows the old remote. Where is there info on this new remote?

Thank you.
/m

Re: v2 Availability?

+ 1
I'm guessing what is on Thomann is the earlier version

It would be nice if there was some way to determine the version without opening up the unit and examining the DAC chip.

Like, is there a magic serial number, such that any unit with higher serial number is V2, or some other indication?

Exactly, common sense in my opinion. Who wants to buy a previous version unless discounted.

I think only the new one has the new remote and also a new filter that you can check on the unit.

Bliman wrote:

I think only the new one has the new remote and also a new filter that you can check on the unit.

The remote can be bought separately but only the v2 has the SD LD filter. Go into I/O -> Settings -> DA Filter to see if it is there.

Disappointing.  You shouldn't have to turn the unit on to determine its vintage.

8 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-12 22:38:00)

All, I just don't worry about it so much.  Nor should You!

The ADI-2DAC is an extraordinarily strong design, and regardless of Vintage, one can be assured of Years of Fine Audio.   AKM based designs seem to age well, and even my 10yr old Transporter (AKM2496) sounds fantastic.   That device was the FIRST to achieve a Full 20bit Resolution, and no DAC Chip has yet done better. 

As DAC Filter differences are so incredibly difficult to hear...even in controlled comparisons, I'm not letting AKMs new "Low Dispersion" Filter get my Pants in a Wad.   My AKM 4490 based ADI-2 DAC will happily live here for a long time.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

All true, but the version can affect re sale value

10 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-13 03:08:26)

Derm,

I understand the Concern...but in many years of Audio, I have never found Audio Gear to be an Investment Property.    Buy gear that suits your needs.  "Invest" in Real Estate...not Audio Gear.  smile

Audio Gear resale value is dictated by an Audio Press that is Flakier than a Bag of Potato Chips.   The SAME $10,000 dollar device they love one month, is often rendered worthless the next.   Complete BS.  Buy Gear you LIKE.  Keep it to enjoy, and ignore the otherwise senseless whims of the Audio market that wants "this" one day, and "that" the next.   The Audio Consumer wants whatever the Reviewers TELL them they want.  XLR Sockets made of Gold Plated Gopher As_holes, etc.  . Sheep People.  Baaaaaahhhhhhh

Positively Stupid.

Don't believe me?   Try to sell a year old I-Phone. smile     So worthless.  Thieves dont even want them!

Shallow Apologies for going off on a Rant, but my Word folks.  This seemingly Gluttonous, and usually unsubstantiated need to "Upgrade, and Consume" at every turn is ridiculous to me...especially when it is evident that NO ACTUAL LISTENING has ever yet, nor likely ever will take place.  Are we buying Audio Gear for Listening enjoyment?  Or...to Compare Model Numbers??

My Goodness.  The ADI-2 DAC (v1) has noise, and distortion levels so low that Scientific Instruments struggle to detect.   So far below the threshold of Human audibility, that claims of hearing "Better" smacks of Pure...Unadulterated Bullshit.  Get it?

Whewwww

11 (edited by Luckbad 2019-12-13 07:35:59)

Many European retailers have these now. There are a number of places in the UK that have them and others in Germany (e.g. Thomann). Audio Impact in Italy has them. Basically, they're everywhere out in the wild there now.

In the USA, we're still waiting for a little longer. They're hoping they'll be available by the end of the year. I'm eagerly awaiting the new unit.

If you absolutely can't wait, the UK seems to be the best place to purchase from. They have a 5 year warranty if they're from an official retailer (which I think you can find via the Synthax UK website). I've seen them a little cheaper in a few other countries that ship to the US (Thomann not included, as they can't ship RME products to the USA), but they don't have that 5 year warranty.

12 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-13 13:37:36)

Sweetwater in the US lists the new unit for Pre-Order.   January-ish availability? 

Noted the Price difference (ref: Version 1) is negligible.   About $75 more for the latest.     Nice to see RME maintaining it's very reasonable pricing on such a fine product.  New Users are getting a great deal!

13 (edited by derm 2019-12-16 01:12:36)

Hi Curt,
I've greatly enjoyed your responses, all very true. I've resisted the temptation to buy gold plated USB cables and other such snake oil smile. Its a refreshing point of view that's not often present in Hi Fi mags. I might say "a veil has been lifted" smile
Anyway, Thomann now show the product as having been available since November 2019 which clears up the question.
Happy Listening
Derm

The Parlez.com

14 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-16 00:50:22)

Hi Derm!

Sorry for my Rant, but...you know how it is.

The ADI-2 DAC (v1) is superbly designed.   Version 2 IMO was largely driven by AKM introducing the 4493 Chip.  New Chip, New Features...but without RMEs attention to detail in implementation, it's meaningless.

No matter which version one purchases...they are buying a Landmark Product.  Sure to please for Years!

Surely, New Users are getting a fantastic offer.    Those such as myself who have survived 57 entire years WITHOUT a Low Dispersion DAC filter can probably continue to do so. smile

Curt

I got the V2 within a few hours of Thomann.de receiving it. We pay more for less here and we often can't get major hifi goodies. So I thank my German neighbors for doing a great job. It's one of the few things we can get before ROW (rest of world). However, even Thomann went out of stock at least 3 times since they received their first unit.

That said, everybody agrees with Curt. There is no cause for upgraditis. I doubt anybody can hear the difference.

16 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-20 03:17:52)

Well now.  The New, Expanded RME Remote is a MUST-HAVE for us V.1 ADI-2 DAC owners!   With the New Remote, I can become even MORE Sedentary, and not move more than a Thumb Muscle to control a plethora of DAC functions!  smile

Remote Tone, Balance, etc...One needs that, and Trust that I shall have it.   As for the rest?  Ja ja ja...Whatever....  smile

Curt