Topic: Windows software oscilloscope for ADI-2 Pro - any recommendations?

Hi,

I wish there were an oscilloscope in the DIGICheck application, but alas - not even a proper spectrum analyzer. Now I miss my old MOTU interface and its software for the first time in a long while.

Trying to find a decent oscilloscope application for the ADI-2 Pro under Windows, but I don't seem to get any input signal to show up in either
Soundcard Oscilloscope ( https://www.zeitnitz.eu/scope_en )
or
Visual Analyzer (from Sillanumsoft.org)

Do you have any Windows software scope recommendations for the ADI-2 Pro? Preferably standalone, not plugins.

Best Regards

Re: Windows software oscilloscope for ADI-2 Pro - any recommendations?

Soundcard Scope works, but is limited to WDM input devices with 44.1 kHz and 16 bit. Some softwares like Audition have a DSO style visualization on board. Otherwise there simply doesn't exist any usable and useful DSO software. I searched the web up and down for years and tried everything available, including Visual Analyser, which lacks many features of a real DSO and seems to be abandoned anyway. There seems to be just one: Virtin's Multi-Instrument. Its ASIO version requires you to buy the full package at 200 bucks. But you get up to 768 kHz and 24 bit, plus a useful signal generator. I use it personally.

http://www.virtins.com/multi-instrument.shtml

There is a 21 day test version, fully functional, easy to find out if it's worth the money for you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the advice, I was not aware of the Virtins product.

MC wrote:

Soundcard Scope works, but is limited to WDM input devices with 44.1 kHz and 16 bit.

How would I make Soundcard Oscilloscope work with ADI-2 Pro?
Are there any tricks I'm missing?
I can't get any input signal, except for when I choose loopback from the output.

4 (edited by Timur Born 2018-06-08 16:18:53)

The Realtime Analyzer part of DSSF3 includes an oscilloscope. It includes ASIO support and only seems to be limited in frequency by your audio interface. The software has last been updated 2016, though, and I could make the oscilloscope part crash twice already  (seems to happen sometimes when you switch frequencies, a simple restart works).

https://i.imgur.com/ES6tD9W.jpg

Full version is listed as $98, 30 days trial period. The sound-generator part is "free", as in works for unlimited time in the trial (whereas other parts are time-limited). A few years back I compared its noise-generator to other software and found it superior to other software I tried (as in noise frequencies being properly randomized/averagely distributed).

http://www.ymec.com/store/en/index.htm

Virtins looks good, I might have to check it out myself at some point.

According to the website one can have the Oscilloscope for 39 bucks. That seems to be a fair price for something that is very easy to use and basically works quite well. Note that ASIO is limited to 192 kHz. The ADI-2 Pro works phantastic as DSO, but also needs 384 and 768 kHz, as these sample rates don't introduce filter response artefacts on the AD side. Virtin's got not only the higher sample rate but also tons of additional options that are very useful IMHO. I just wish setting the trigger at very low levels would be as easy as in DSSF3 - some things in Virtin's are very cumbersome for no obvious reason. And yes, it crashes from time to time as well...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have ADI-2 DAC, and I have the similar question as 768, how to make it work in Virtins? It lets you select audio input to analyze, but there is no such thing as for example integrated PC cards has "Stereo Mix". Do I need to use some other software like Virtual Cable or is there any other way?

Loopback cabling at the ADI. Either analog or digital.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Bit confused here, sorry. I'm using XLR's for my monitors, so I need some kind of RCA -> COAX/SPDIF cable or converter. Can't seem to find a simple google solution for this. Any link would be helpful, thank you.

Confused here as well. This thread is about the Pro. What exactly you try to do with the DAC and a DSO that shows input signals?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

How did you make it? I tried everything and it won't work.

First, in Fireface USB Settings I set number of WDM devices to 1.

Then I set the DAW (Cakewalk by Bandlab) to use WDM drivers and set its playback on Fireface 1+2 and Scope's input on "Loopback from Fireface 1+2". It did not work !

But then I set a music player (VLC Player) to use WDM Fireface 1+2 and it works!

How do I set the DAW? Please help.

Fireface UC (hardw. rev. 123, driver 1.168) | Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R | Windows 10 Pro x64