Topic: Never satisfied no matter how good it sounds?

I feel like I have put together a really good system. Hedd Type 20 speakers + Adam Sub8, ADI2 Dac, high quality cables for those who believe in that. The sound is superb IMO. However, I personally am never satisfied no matter how much improvement I get. I also really enjoy finding ways to further improve the sound. The anticipation of new technology and experience of the improvements it brings is about 60% of the fun for me in this "audiophile" hobby. Is anyone else the same way? What do you do in between periods where you're waiting for technology (or your budget) to catch up?

2 (edited by Jas0_0 2019-12-30 22:27:52)

Re: Never satisfied no matter how good it sounds?

Robertm394 wrote:

What do you do in between periods where you're waiting for technology (or your budget) to catch up?

Research music.  Buy music.  Listen to music.  See friends and family.  Work.  Play sport.  Read books.  Keep up with current affairs.  Go to concerts.  Go to the theatre.  Watch films.  Talk to friends/family on the phone.  Travel.  Sleep.  Sit staring into space thinking ‘what does it all mean?’.  Clean the house.  Get drunk.  Have a lie-in.  Tinker with DIY projects.

But Robert chose not to choose life.  Robert chose something else. 

Robert chose to be an audiophile.

I was like you when I had head filled with audiophiles BS (thank you 90’s hifi magazines!): cables (you must BELIEVE in it.....), source, overpriced electronics...
Now that I’ve looked it up and have advices by people who really know what they are talking about, I’ve ended with a very good and neutral electronic (RME ADI as DAC and pre-amp) and very good active speakers. And I managed my room.

And I have the best sound I have listened in my whole life. My friends with fancy cables and 10k amps (with a lot of capacitors in it) and very expansive floorstanders with very nice BS in ads, in none treated rooms and no room correction, they can’t compete with my system.

And now I’m happy with what I have and I enjoy it: I listen to music a lot, watch movies, and I have found peace.
I’m no longer a victim of idiophool’s marketing and I’m better that way.

Enjoy your music, not your gears...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

4 (edited by ramses 2019-12-30 23:53:45)

> However, I personally am never satisfied no matter how much improvement I get.

Sounds to me as if you are missing a certain methodology which is required to come to good results.

Maybe you are not satisfied because something is still missing.

Perhaps the room acoustic is so bad, that the speaker do not sound like they should.
Or you didn't check enough other solutions which might sound better to your ears.

If I remember back it seemed, that you choosed already these speakers based on reviews and hearsay and you simply asked in the forum in the hope that people come to the same conclusion like the other people (that told you to buy these monitors).

May I ask: did you listen to these speakers or compare them with other speakers before you bought them ?

Then you wonder that you are never satisfied ..

I think with this methodology its not possible to get a system, that fully satisfies you.

Expensive cables are not able to change anything in that regards.

Same with a guitar, you need to compare different models and play them on your own to see whether the neck is good for your fingers and playing style, whether its sounds good, etc. You can not buy something organic like this only based on other ppls opineons. Even worse: everybody has completely hearing capabilities and tastes are different.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-31 04:48:09)

Rob.  Tough Love Mate.   The others are being completely Truthful with You.  This Forum would perhaps be the last place on Earth where you might find Widespread Affirmation, and Glowing Adoration of your every Audio Component Purchase, because Largely...we don't care.

Do you recall the Anorexia/Bulimia "Fad" amongst Young Women in the 80's and 90's??  All caused by a Media/Magazine driven "NEED" for them to conform to some Nebulous Standard of "Beauty"??

This Nonsense cost us one of the Greatest Voices of all time.  Karen Carpenter.

You're on that same Boat Pal.

Audio is no different.   The Audio Press THRIVES on making you believe that you are Fat, and Ugly.  Your Audio Gear is Trash...UNLESS you have "this" component or whatever.    This "Ideal" changes monthly, and can get QUITE EXPENSIVE for the Insecure.  Life Threatening for the Anorexic.

The others here are flatly correct.

Throwing Gear into a Room hoping for Magic is a fools game.   Be Objective...as are the Jas0's...the Noobs...the Ramses types are.    Run some Tests.  Be SHOCKED by your findings of Rampant BS in your expensive Acoustic Faux Pas.   When it's over...For Heaven's Sake...Play a Recording for the simple purpose of enjoying it.  Ignore the Reviewers.

* Run some Tests, and Pop in over on Sparky's Thread:  "Recommenended EQ..."

I bet we can make a more profound improvement in ONE DAY (at NO COST!) to your System, than every BS "upgrade" on Earth...Combined.  smile

And Rob?  While you're at GC writing checks...why not buy yourself an inexpensive Guitar, and sign up for some Lessons.  There...you will learn MUCH!!

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

6 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-31 15:36:56)

Hey Rob...me again

At the Dawning of a New Year, let's start with a completely Clean Sheet of Paper, and launch: RobertM - Music Lover!   

Music Lessons.  That's my Advice to You!  There, you will enter an entirely new World, and begin to APPRECIATE Music! 

With the right Coach...you'll wake up at 3am suddenly UNDERSTANDING Key Signatures,etc.  Knowledge.  That's the Beauty of it all!

C'mon Rob.  We're inviting you in. smile

Life, and having a "Tomorrow" is not a given.  Perhaps best for us all to reach out to You today.  Yes?  smile

Happy New Year

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes