Topic: madi fx and antelope stuff

has anyone tried the orion 32 with the 10m clock with the madi fx card?
if so how is it ? with totalmix latency?,sound?ease of use?
and what os are you using? thanks

Re: madi fx and antelope stuff

I have not used these particular items myself, however, I'm not sure that you really need the 10m clock in this setup. Set-up the Orion 32 as your word-clock master running on it's internal clock and the MadiFX card will extract it's the word-clock from the Madi stream being sent by the Orion. I am highly dubious of claims of improved sound through external clocking and the only reason I would use the 10m in such a setup is if I had to clock a number of digital devices together. As usual, your mileage may vary and it is a personal and subjective area (although the basic science is reasonably definitive). Most small setups simply do not need a master clock. I do use one at times, however that is usually when I am clocking a large number of digital devices together (generally 8-channel mic pre-amplifiers with their own internal AD conversion that must have their word-clock synced together, ie Mackie Onyx 800R and Yamaha AD8HR units attached to an RME digital conversion box). The MadiFX card is amazing and offers a much better software mixer (TotalmixFX) than the Orion's mixer software. Simply use the Orion as Analogue to Madi converter and let the MadiFX take care of the rest.

This atomic clock claims to be 10000 times more accurate than normal clocks...but not sure if the unit has to support the 10m input?

yes the Orion have the 10M input : The four word clock outs, together with the 10 MHz input, make Orion 32 ideally suited to be in the center of any project or high-end studio.

This Guy explain it very well  in French : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VMxcqt … 6wz4sUy91w

@ final , It doesn't change anything to use the 10M or an another smile

5 (edited by animix 2020-01-01 21:30:35)

I have a 2017 Orion 32+ integrated into my studio using the RME MADI FX. The MADI FX is clocked to the Orion 32. I also have two ADI-8 DS units patched to Orion 32+. I have been using this setup since March 2019. Sonically it is excellent. Functionally, I am not comfortable with it. The Antelope drivers and GUI do not inspire any level of confidence. In order to patch hardware compressors 1:1 on a DAW (Cubase or Digital Performer), it is unreliable and requires double patching in the Antelope GUI in order to pass signal through MADI. Once done there is only one level of undo which makes it a real pain when configuring IO function and it often doesn’t hold the setting when “saved” when the project is closed and reopened. The FPGA effects are nice but I have been a UAD user since day one of the initial launch of the UAD 1. I do not see the Antelope FX being superior in any way and I have a large rack of hardware compressors if I need to compress or EQ while tracking. The Antelope FX are only as reliable as the Antelope drivers and suffer from instability. Perhaps my experience would be different if I was using Thunderbolt. Many Antelope users are reporting good results with TB but RME MADI is my choice and RME drivers and hardware quality and reliability inspire confidence that my studio will function at an optimum level all day, every day. The Antelope product does not. We have never had any complaints about RME conversion, even before the Orion 32+ was added and most of our converters predate the Raydat. I never had an issue with the RME clocking before I bought the Orion 32+. The Antelope purchase was an experiment to see if high quality 32 AD/DA could be integrated into the studio at a good price.  If it would simply integrate with MADI without requiring Antelope drivers to work, I wouldn’t be posting this. This product will be replaced by a ADI-32 AD and ADI-32 DA within the next 30 days.

HDSPe MADI-FX, M-32 AD, M-32 DA, ADI-8 QS, ADI 192 DD, ADI 648, Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA

I've had many RME and Antelope interfaces, and RME works with everything. My Goliath HD would NOT transmit Madi to/from my Burl Mothership. I stuck a UFX+ in between and it worked. Antelope DOES have a lot of driver issues. I got used to the software and I think the sound quality is good for the money.

The effects don't integrate well with a DAW, but I do think are as good as UAD and it was a bargain when they were free (new Goliath HD Gen 3 makes you pay a LOT of the plugins AND to use the digilink ports).

I've since upgraded to what I believe are the best multichannel converters in the world and sold all of these units, but RME is very rock solid, Antelope is ok and works for some things, but does have more issues.

I currently run an AXR4u at home which I like a lot and while RME still has better latency and drivers, I'm very impressed with many other features of the AXR.

I also have an ADI 2 Pro which I use for capture, monitor control, and SRC when needed at my big studio and I love it. It's AMAZING as a DAC as well.

animix wrote:

I have a 2017 Orion 32+ integrated into my studio using the RME MADI FX. The MADI FX is clocked to the Orion 32. I also have two ADI-8 DS units patched to Orion 32+. I have been using this setup since March 2019. Sonically it is excellent. Functionally, I am not comfortable with it. The Antelope drivers and GUI do not inspire any level of confidence. In order to patch hardware compressors 1:1 on a DAW (Cubase or Digital Performer), it is unreliable and requires double patching in the Antelope GUI in order to pass signal through MADI. Once done there is only one level of undo which makes it a real pain when configuring IO function and it often doesn’t hold the setting when “saved” when the project is closed and reopened. The FPGA effects are nice but I have been a UAD user since day one of the initial launch of the UAD 1. I do not see the Antelope FX being superior in any way and I have a large rack of hardware compressors if I need to compress or EQ while tracking. The Antelope FX are only as reliable as the Antelope drivers and suffer from instability. Perhaps my experience would be different if I was using Thunderbolt. Many Antelope users are reporting good results with TB but RME MADI is my choice and RME drivers and hardware quality and reliability inspire confidence that my studio will function at an optimum level all day, every day. The Antelope product does not. We have never had any complaints about RME conversion, even before the Orion 32+ was added and most of our converters predate the Raydat. I never had an issue with the RME clocking before I bought the Orion 32+. The Antelope purchase was an experiment to see if high quality 32 AD/DA could be integrated into the studio at a good price.  If it would simply integrate with MADI without requiring Antelope drivers to work, I wouldn’t be posting this. This product will be replaced by a ADI-32 AD and ADI-32 DA within the next 30 days.