Topic: DA Filter for Planars (Audeze)

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to the Rme Adi 2 Dac and just got the new version with extended remote control. I am just wondering if someone could recommend from long term experience which da filter suits good for planars. I myself have an Audeze LCD2 and don't want to eq something at the moment. Can someone recommend a da filter for music I like? Most of the time I'm listening to prog rock(pink floyd, porcupine tree...) hardcore (converge, poison the well...) and other rock genres including bands like Opeth, Pearl Jam, but also sometimes soul/jazz, Michael Kawanuka.So all over the place wink. Would be amazing to get some feedback.
Thank you

2 (edited by Curt962 2020-01-06 19:40:01)

Re: DA Filter for Planars (Audeze)

Hello Man in the...Box?  Cool Alice n Chains Track.   Welcome!

D/A Filter Selection is a Perennial "Matter" in these Pages.   I believe the Truth is...as a Home User, Pick whichever you Like!  It's truly NOT like "Filter A is World Class...while Filter B totally Sucks"   It's NOT like that.  smile   As has been discussed endlessly, the actual Sonic DIFFERENCES in DAC filters are Minute, and as such, barely (if even!) detectable in closely controlled, Level Matched A/B/X comparisons. 

The Real Differences are in terms of Latency (Delay)   In the Home?   Latency is a non-issue.   In the Studio?  Latency is a problem!   Your ADI-2 DAC arrived to you with SD Sharp as it's default Filter simply because it's the most widely useful.  Studio, or Home.     I suspect you'd be delighted just leaving it there! 

Enjoy your new ADI-2 DAC!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

3 (edited by ramses 2020-01-06 20:02:23)

Ah Curt, it took me too long to type ;-) Anyway, here we go and now I will put on my asbestos dress ...

It doesn't make much difference. You can hardly notice differences between D/A filter anyway. Most noticeable are the differences between the default filter (with the most linear frequency response) and NOS, where the high frequencies are cut most.

I'm afraid you might mix this up with EQ presets (of i.e. music players) that have certain presets for different music styles like rock, jazz, classical, etc. But this has really nothing to do with different D/A filters. And .. weren't they horrible ?!

To use different D/A filters depending on whether you have planar phones .. come on .. this drifts to the esoteric corner.
I would formulate it more like this .. some planars have not so intense hights, then I would not recommend to take NOS to not lose even more high frequencies, but if you like this sound, why not. Got the point ?!

Just use the default filter for the most linear frequency response or Sharp if you like or simply whatever you prefer.

The latency of filters is irrelevant for you as Home Music consumer. Latency of different filters is only relevant in terms of usability in live monitoring situations.

There are more important aspects - like simply enjoying your fine equipment - than to make a big head about whether to use this or that D/A filter for a certain music style, I see absolutely no merit in it. If you switch between different D/A filters you will see that it is difficult enough to hear any difference for the same music.

Such discussions are typically found in HiFi forums where you can also discuss whether a €500 TOSLINK cable results in better digital sound. Some people have surely a strong opinion what D/A filter to use, but if this is so critical, then it should be evident to everybody that this or that one is better. But actually its merely audible. I am pretty sure that most people can not even hear differences in a blind test, because usually nobody has "bat ears" and if you can not hear it clearly for yourself, why you make a science out of it anyway ?! The pragmatic approach ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thx for your opinions. I once had a questyle cma400i also with ak chips and no filter options and I found the sound quite fatiguing with the same headphones. So I thought maybe the filter options can influence something like that but maybe it was something else which made the sound not pleasant to my taste.

I am not against using and evaluating different filter settings, but the difference is very little.
Simply try it out and look whether it gives you any noticeable benefit.
We do not have your phones and also not your ears. This you can only test on your own.
Have fun and enjoy.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13