Topic: is ADI pro FS the good solution?

hello everybody,

I’m considering the purchase of the ADI Pro FS converter for my HiFi system.

The objectives are:
- use the DAC and preamp function to supply a power amplifier directly
- use the AD conversion to digitalise a huge collection of vinyls coming from an heritage.
- use the convulation to do a room correction.
- as I will not have another pre-amp, the turntable will also be used through the AD conversion and then DA conversion of the ADI.

I‘m wondering if it’s better to use a ADI pro or a Fireface?
Is the absence of TotalMix a problem?

Re: is ADI pro FS the good solution?

You have phono preamp?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Not yet, it's part of the planned purchase.
But, if it’s possible to implement the RIAA curve in the computer and that the gain can be sufficient, I would try to avoid it. I didn't thought about it.

4 (edited by Curt962 2020-01-03 02:20:20)

Grun, there's a lot more to it than that.  RIAA EQ is just one part.   A Phono Cartridge requires a substantial amount of Amplification  (via a Phono Pre-Amp) to be remotely viable in the Signal Chain.  So, if LPs are part of your plan, a Phono Preamp is most assuredly in your future.  Where A/D and D/A conversions are concerned?  The RME Pro Unit is your Best Choice! 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Hi Qrun, you can perform RIAA equalisation in a computer using software such as Channel D’s Pure Vinyl http://www.channld.com/purevinyl/

Though as Curt says, you will still need to amplify the signal from the cartridge before it passes into the RME’s DA converter. 

If you want to perform RIAA eq in-computer, you can use a microphone amplifier or a flat phono preamp to amplify the signal, so your signal path would be:

Phono cartridge > Mic amp/flat phono preamp > RME ADI2 Pro > Computer with Pure Vinyl.

Though since you still have to purchase an additional box anyway, it might be best just to go for Curt’s suggestion - a phono preamp with RIAA equalisation built in, so signal path would be:

Phono cartridge > RIAA preamp > RME ADI2 Pro > Computer

I would also prefer the latter to be independend of software and licenses on pc side.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for your reply, frankly, the acquisition of a phono preamp was my initial thought.

Regarding the ADI, would it be possible to implement the convolution with the correction of the impulse response in the loop easily without total mix? That was my initial concerns...

There are no resources left for 'convolution'. You can use 5 bands of parametric EQ per channel, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I use a Pro-Ject phono ebox optical as a phono pre amplifier with optical output into an ADI-2 DAC (i.e. not the pro version). It works a treat.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema