Topic: 12 Mic setup

I'm new to networked audio....if I get an RME 12 Mic, can I connect that directly to my MacBook Pro via Ethernet cable and be able to record 12 mic signals to this computer...or do I need to purchase other device boxes to allow this recording ? I am mostly recording orchestras on location and require 12 simultaneous mic inputs. Are there any OSX limitations to this, as I am currently using Yosemite 10.10.5 ?  Thank you for your advice and help

Re: 12 Mic setup

You can connect it to any ethernet port of your apple computer (or apple ethernet adapter). OSX supports AVB out of the box. The number of channels is only limited by the power of your CPU. 12 channels should not be a problem. By default Apple uses an AVB device exclusively. But it's also possible to share it with other AVB endpoints and build bigger systems.

Thank you Uwe, that sounds very encouraging, I'll watch for some user reviews after the device is released and go from there

uwekirst wrote:

You can connect it to any ethernet port of your apple computer (or apple ethernet adapter). OSX supports AVB out of the box. The number of channels is only limited by the power of your CPU. 12 channels should not be a problem. By default Apple uses an AVB device exclusively. But it's also possible to share it with other AVB endpoints and build bigger systems.

Does that mean sacrificing the headphone port though?  Unless set up as an aggregate device which doesn't seem to be supported anymore?

Eastwood Records
www.eastwoodrecords.co.uk

The 12Mic has an headphone output integrated, so you can use this instead of the one built-in into the Mac.